PDA

View Full Version : Can I clear my wc parts with non-distilled water?

GangstarrapeR
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi Folks;

My wc parts just arrived now! so... I'm very happy and I want to build it soon :p:

Butttt... I saw on this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54331) it's necessary clean my rad and cpu block w/ distilled water and vinegar or distilled water w/ isopropil alcohol, before a start use it.

So, here is my question: Can I clear my wc parts with non-distilled water, and after dry w/ a hair dryer? There is some problem?

I'm asking for help because it is a little bit hard to find distilled water in Brazil and I want start to build it now.... or if you guys say I should not do that, I still waiting until find distilled water to clean them.

Thx.

Stealth42o
09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes you can, just finish of with distilled water to get out all the tap (or whatever) out of your parts.

GangstarrapeR
09-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Yes you can, just finish of with distilled water to get out all the tap (or whatever) out of your parts.

Right... I have 1 Bottle of PC ICE here, but for me it was expensive to buy it (shippment costs, taxes etc), so I'm afraid to use it and don't have enough to fill my wc system.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Biffa
09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
It might be cheaper for you to get deionised water (used for car batteries and steam irons) it certainly is in the UK

GangstarrapeR
09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
It might be cheaper for you to get deionised water (used for car batteries and steam irons) it certainly is in the UK

Hi Biffa!

What's the difference between distilled water and deionised water?
Thanks for your advice!

Ahh.. I live in Brazil, not UK :p:

Hugs!

alexjpn
09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Biffa!

Thanks for your advice!

Hugs!

im brazilian but i live in japan.

compra nas farmacias agua pra lente de contato ou agua que usam em carros .
eu uso agua que limpa lente de contato. acho que deve ser 70 centavos no brasil.:up:

AceBaran
09-17-2010, 11:29 PM
what ?

Elpy
09-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Best if you keep conversations here in English and use PM's for Portuguese. That way this thread will also help others that happen to find it later on :).

Biffa
09-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Hi Biffa!

Thanks for your advice!

Hugs!

Its just a different method of removing the trace elements from the water, one uses a steam filtration (distilled) and the other uses an electronic method (ionisation). Well thats the limit of my chemistry skills :)

I know you are in Brazil, what I was saying was that it might be like in here in the UK where deionised is easy and cheap and distilled is just not easy to obtain cheaply.

GangstarrapeR
09-18-2010, 06:22 AM
im brazilian but i live in japan.

compra nas farmacias agua pra lente de contato ou agua que usam em carros .
eu uso agua que limpa lente de contato. acho que deve ser 70 centavos no brasil.:up:

Eae Alex, beleza meu velho!

Water to clean contact lenses? Very interesting, I'll looking for it on a drugstore near here.

Nice tip, probably I'll do that, thanks a lot dude!

Its just a different method of removing the trace elements from the water, one uses a steam filtration (distilled) and the other uses an electronic method (ionisation). Well thats the limit of my chemistry skills :)

I know you are in Brazil, what I was saying was that it might be like in here in the UK where deionised is easy and cheap and distilled is just not easy to obtain cheaply.

Ahhhh... Gotcha!

Sorry about my mistake, thx again! Helps me a lot!

Cheers!

Martinm210
09-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Yes, I actually always flush with tap. Just get a hose barb threaded attachment and let the faucet do it's thing. I never bother with the whole boiling distilled water thing, I just turn the faucet on hot and flush it both ways...seems to do ok for me.

IMO, anything bad in tap water is a lot less harmful than the gunk/flux/oils etc left behind from manufacturing that you're flushing out.

In fact you would probably be just fine running tap water for coolant, but as cheap as grocery store distilled is..you might as well at least used distilled for the fill up. I'm a cheapskate, but not THAT cheap.

But don't worry about using distilled for heavy cleaning..

Kurz
09-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Yes, I actually always flush with tap. Just get a hose barb threaded attachment and let the faucet do it's thing. I never bother with the whole boiling distilled water thing, I just turn the faucet on hot and flush it both ways...seems to do ok for me.

IMO, anything bad in tap water is a lot less harmful than the gunk/flux/oils etc left behind from manufacturing that you're flushing out.

In fact you would probably be just fine running tap water for coolant, but as cheap as grocery store distilled is..you might as well at least used distilled for the fill up. I'm a cheapskate, but not THAT cheap.

Actually, I would look at his location.
Brazil is not known for their Clean tap water.

Every person in Brazil that can afford to own and maintain a filteration system does so. So it depends on the quality of this filter and if he is willing to wait for the filter to do its job.

Alexandr0s
09-18-2010, 08:21 AM

Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to have such clean tap water ;). I got lucky, and live in a city which almost has the cleanest tap water of our country, but there are several cities where the water just contains too much calcium and other minerals to be used safely inside a loop.

One cheap way to get distilled if it's not available in the store is by tapping it from the clothes dryer. Some dryers dump it directly into the drain, others store it in a small tank that needs to be emptied regularly. If you have the luxury of a clothes dryer, but don't have a store that sells distilled water, this is one way to get it, without going through the hassle of boiling it yourself ;).

JumpingJack
09-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Make sure you have some form of biocide in your loop after you reassemble (PT nuke and/or silver kill coil). The problem with tap water is not so much the metal ions (Ca, Na, K, etc) as those flush out easily with DI, but the little critters that take up residence from the tap clean, even flushing with DI will not get rid of them all after running through with tap. After a month or so you will see algae growth, a few drop of PT nuke usually kills them all off.

shazza
09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Please don't use vinegar or alcohol to clean your blocks initially - save that only if they are gunked up and you have to try something else besides water ... *** heading back to link to clarify cleaning again ***

hoax
09-18-2010, 12:01 PM
this is what I used to clean the blocks and also as my coolant (+pt nuke) back when my system was still running LC'ed. had zero issues with it. ran over 1 year.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/cagiali/IMG_2617.jpg

should be easy to find in any drugstore.

GangstarrapeR
09-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Ohh... really, does things what you said makes me a bit comfortable :D

Thx.

Actually, I would look at his location.
Brazil is not known for their Clean tap water.

Every person in Brazil that can afford to own and maintain a filteration system does so. So it depends on the quality of this filter and if he is willing to wait for the filter to do its job.

Well, tap water on Brazil is treated, but isn't ideal to human consuption, so... maybe couldnīt be perfect to clean my wc parts :D
I have a good quality filter in my house, if I canīt find distiled (or deionized) water, probably I'll warm filtered water to clean it.

Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to have such clean tap water ;). I got lucky, and live in a city which almost has the cleanest tap water of our country, but there are several cities where the water just contains too much calcium and other minerals to be used safely inside a loop.

One cheap way to get distilled if it's not available in the store is by tapping it from the clothes dryer. Some dryers dump it directly into the drain, others store it in a small tank that needs to be emptied regularly. If you have the luxury of a clothes dryer, but don't have a store that sells distilled water, this is one way to get it, without going through the hassle of boiling it yourself ;).

I have a clothes dryer, but itīs impossible to get water from it :down:
BTW, thanks for your suggestion!

Make sure you have some form of biocide in your loop after you reassemble (PT nuke and/or silver kill coil). The problem with tap water is not so much the metal ions (Ca, Na, K, etc) as those flush out easily with DI, but the little critters that take up residence from the tap clean, even flushing with DI will not get rid of them all after running through with tap. After a month or so you will see algae growth, a few drop of PT nuke usually kills them all off.

Right, I have one bottle of Primochill PC ICE here, if I clean my system w/ warm filtered water and after filling up my loop w/ PC ICE, I might have some problem?

Please don't use vinegar or alcohol to clean your blocks initially - save that only if they are gunked up and you have to try something else besides water ... *** heading back to link to clarify cleaning again ***

Thanks for warning me Shazza!

this is what I used to clean the blocks and also as my coolant (+pt nuke) back when my system was still running LC'ed. had zero issues with it. ran over 1 year.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/cagiali/IMG_2617.jpg

should be easy to find in any drugstore.

Thatīs what I need :)
I'll try to find, today I went to a drugstore, they have distiled water, but only for itself use :shrug:

leo_bsb
09-18-2010, 08:28 PM
don't buy the demineralized water for batteries sold around here, they are too dirt.

The cheapest and clean I found in Brazil are the 5L bootles from Fortsan http://www.fortsan.com.br/novo/index.php?pag=produtos_dnt&id=isento

they can be found on medical products stores.

Martinm210
09-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I have never seen any tests to show that flushing with tap water is in any way harmful.

If anyone has some links to share where that's been shown, I'd like to take a look...:D

zanzabar
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
i would not clean with tap if u have hard water, hard water can kill a shower door with 1 use so i can imagine that u would want that on a block

iandh
09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Biffa!

Thanks for your advice!

Hugs!

Distillation is evaporation of liquid water into vapor (which then leaves contaminants which don't evaporate behind), and condensation back into liquid water.

De-ionization is removal of contaminants by mechanical means, mainly filtration.

In general, distilled water is cleaner than deionized. The very cleanest water available is prepared using distillation.

The reason for the two is that in situations where a continuous supply of clean water is needed, distillation is not always practical.

De-ionization is typically passive, meaning that it doesn't require any power other than the pressure of the water supply to perform purification. It typically uses simple, easy to maintain equipment.

Distillation is usually done with heat or vacuum, which requires power, making distilled water more expensive, and less convenient. Semi-large scale distillation requires semi complex, difficult to maintain equipment (compared to that used for de-ionization).

Most industrial facilities use de-ionized water due to cost and convenience. Distillation systems are usually only found in places like scientific facilities or chemical manufacturers, where the slight extra purity is critical and the added cost is irrelevant.

Once you get up to very large scale water purification operations, such as the bottles of distilled or filtered (de-ionized) water found in grocery stores, economy of scale causes the two to become closer in cost, which is the reason distilled or filtered water purchased by the consumer are both very cheap.

leo_bsb
09-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Well, tap water on Brazil is treated, but isn't ideal to human consuption, so... maybe couldnīt be perfect to clean my wc parts :D
I have a good quality filter in my house, if I canīt find distiled (or deionized) water, probably I'll warm filtered water to clean it.

I can't talk about Sao Paulo city, but in Brasilia you can drink straight from the faucet.

I clean my rads with tap water and use the deionized to final clean and in the loop

shazza
09-19-2010, 03:15 PM
I have never seen any tests to show that flushing with tap water is in any way harmful.

If anyone has some links to share where that's been shown, I'd like to take a look...:D

+1 ... I always use tap water first to get a good flushing for radiators. Then a few quick rinses with distilled or deionized.

Tap water would have to be really bad to react / form deposits while flushing through a radiator - the point is the movement of the water through the radiator is enough to get anything out of most modern radiators. (there's always the exception, but that will require more than water to clean)

Grinchy
09-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Just a curiosity:
In car radiators it is strongly advised NEVER to use distilled or deionized water because of its aggressivity toward metals. They advise to use tap water,radiator coolant additive will keep under control calcification of the loop.
THis is advised either for cheap coolant/radiators either for expensive high performance coolant/radiators.
Don't understand yet why in water cooling things seems to be so different. SOmeone can enlighten me?
:)
Regarding the flush of radiator with tap water i think it is the ideal for price/performance ratio. It is enough avery small flow of pure(distilled) water to move out any possible residual of minerals that can be dispersed in those few drops of liquid remained in a rad after a flush.

Martinm210
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the whole boiling distilled water in a pot thing...not only does it sound like a pain, I doubt it's agressive enough in flushing to do any good.

I've always used the hot tap water flush both directions method, pour out, rise with distilled...call it good. Works great for me..:)

Gimmpy224
09-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Question: Are the jugs at walmart that say "Distilled Water" actually distilled? OR are they just using that as a sales pitch. :am:

Utnorris
09-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Question: Are the jugs at walmart that say "Distilled Water" actually distilled? OR are they just using that as a sales pitch. :am:

I use them, never had an issue. As far as cleaning goes, I do what Martin stated, flush with hot tap water and then rinse with distilled. The only reason I use distilled versus tap is because it's only $.70 a gallon. I think if it's good enough for me to drink then it can't be that bad for a water cooling system, but that's just me.

Blauhung
09-19-2010, 11:21 PM

It'll say on the bottle how they purified it. If it says distilled, its been boiled and re condensed. If it says deionized then it's been run through some form of osmotic membrane filtration most likely

Grinchy
09-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Well i think that at least using hot water can be very effective at least when one flushes radiator for the first time,when there are still lot of oils due to manufacturing,what do you think about about the fact that in cars radiators it is strongly advised againist the use of distilled?

Vinas
09-20-2010, 07:02 AM
I think ya'll are splitting hairs at this point.

I'll just say it: it makes no difference. As long as you are using potable water it will be fine to clean your rad. Don't worry about flushing it with distilled. Your loop won't be imperfection free no matter how hard you try anyway. This is because there are tiny impurities present in our rads/blocks/res's. Our loops are ultimately a heterogeneous mixture of pure and impure substances.

So clean it and flush it with tap water. Or use distilled. Your loop won't be any less happy.

Quad-Damage
09-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I flushed with tap and just re flushed with distilled h20

It's like 80 ct at wallmart and I use way less then 1 gallon.

GangstarrapeR
09-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm back :D

Well, I flushed my entire loop with boiled tap water and then dryed and filled up with PC ICE. I believe it will be fine, if I have any problem in the future, I'll post here.

mav2000
09-26-2010, 07:54 PM
So do you have a build log for your sniper?

GangstarrapeR
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
So do you have a build log for your sniper?

Yes, I do.

Look here: http://www.adrenaline.com.br/forum/gabinetes-e-case-mod/302995-projeto-storm-sniper-black-edition-liquid-6.html