PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio PCG 3A4L laptop problems

cmangle
09-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Sony Vaio PCG 3A4L laptop problems

I've got a Sony laptop with two problems . . .

1) the laptop will not recognise the cd/dvd drive unit! Not even in bios! The unit powers up when a cd/dvd is put in (meaning the little green led lights up and blinks) and you can hear the cd/dvd spinning but there no "D:\" or "E:\" drive designation in windows explorer or under disk drives in device manager!

The drive doesn't even appear in devices in bios!

what gives? I have cleaned off several (100+) pieces of spyware and a few virii and IE 8 has issues but other than that the laptop seems ok!

2) The wireless network card will see the router using ipconfig but there's no internet connection. The ipaddress is screwy though 192.168.0.1! If I ping yahoo.com from a dos box I get no response. Yet if i use a direct cat5 cable to the onboard ethernet port i can get an internet connection fine. I can get (IP address 192.168.1.47) using ipconfig and yahoo pings ok! See attached pics!

any thoughts?

OS vista home premium
cpu intel cenrtrino 1.67ghz
ram 2 gig

thanks chris

Bobsama
09-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Back it up and reinstall the OS. Grab an external DVD-ROM, or borrow one. Anyways, figure out first if it's a hw or sw problem--settings getting borked can be very tough to unbork.