PDA

View Full Version : Oops, first casualty?

docah
01-04-2004, 10:27 PM
I was moving some capacitors (the 10uf ones along the bottom) to the back side so i could fit my big honkin copper cooler on there. Popped the card back in the system and no post. Crap!:dammit:
I'm not sure if i damaged the board or just the caps, I'll try to pick up some fresh ones from the shack tomorrow.

No awards for first card killed :bsod:

NoStra
01-05-2004, 03:24 AM
Sorry to hear that m8. I thought my card was also dead, but it stood up from death :)

Holst
01-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Ooops..

The cap is probably just broken... replace it and you should be ok,

docah
01-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Well it's dead.

I'll "Donate" it to anyone who needs parts for the cost of shipping it via the method they desire.

Teus
01-07-2004, 11:54 AM
have you checked the polarity of the capacitators?

watch out, if polarity is reversed they might explode :eek:

Jeff
01-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Teus
watch out, if polarity is reversed they might explode :eek:

It's actually pretty neat to do(in a controlled situation). I've never had one actually explode, but they do vent out the little hole that's partially drilled in the cap. :devil:

docah
01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, i made sure i matched up the polarity. Never blown up a capacitor myself. I've only had the pleasure of them going bad on my motherboard and splitting the tops.

Holst
01-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Jeff
It's actually pretty neat to do(in a controlled situation). I've never had one actually explode, but they do vent out the little hole that's partially drilled in the cap. :devil:

Hehe.

If you overvolt them they will blow up nicely.

Or overvolt them then short them out and you might get a nice bang..

Please note that neither I not XS accept any responsibility for damage done blowing up caps.

On a side note.. do you have any TEC's spare JR.. I want one to put on this Xabre but I cant find the 220 I used to have anywhere :(

[SLC]Tachyon
01-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by docah
Well it's dead.

I'll "Donate" it to anyone who needs parts for the cost of shipping it via the method they desire.

Try some new caps first, if that fail's, I'll gladly take it off your hands for the cost of shipping. :toast:

lalPOOO
01-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Its also possible that you "tore" the inside of the board apart. Because its multilayer theres traces near the hole for the cap. I'm pretty sure I did the same thing to a tnt2.

ctgilles
01-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Holst, try charging them to the max, and press it against someones neck :D Really funny :D

ctgilles does not take responsability for any killed dogs, cats or humans.

Vlad Draculea
01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
i did reverse the xabre today, and i think my advice is make a keychain, you dont touch or make fast movements

Jeff
01-12-2004, 02:49 PM
My 25w iron worked fine. Just add a little solder before you try to pull out the cap. I "rocked" my back-n-forth a couple times 'til they came right out.

They also sell a de-soldering iron that will suck the solder completely out(it's hollow inside). Again, just add a little fresh solder before you do this and it should come right out. I have one of these but didn't feel like finding it for only four caps. ;)

200w sounds like an aweful lot. :eek: The soldering gun I use for heavy gauge wires is only 135w max. :scared:

Vlad Draculea
01-12-2004, 04:11 PM
my xabre bite a man and had to be sacrifyed, sorry , that is the law

Jeff
01-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Oh, ok. If you're having problems re-installing the existing caps, you could always buy new ones that may have thinner leads. That would provide a little more space for the solder to flow. I've done that a few time in my other hobby(fixing old video arcade games) and it's a lifesaver when you've just about had it. ;)

lalPOOO
01-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Yea, I have a solder sucker as well. I would suggest using it if anyone plans to do this. I didn't use it, and I suffered the consiquences. Also, take it SLOW. Do not yank them out. Using Jeff's method is fine, but you have to be careful and go slowly, the less 'rocks' it takes you the better. Just my 2 cents.
I also have a thermaly controlled iron, and its a lot better then just a plug into the wall kind. I'm pretty sure its actually the same base station as the one macci has. (I feel so special :D)

Jeff
01-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I've always heard the expensive "dial-a-temp" irons are better but personally, I've never needed anything more than a 15w-25w iron.

I've probably exchanged anywhere from 500-1000 capacitor repairing old arcade game boards and monitors and I've never felt the need to "upgrade". ;)

It's really all about what your used to. Hell... I used copper de-soldering braid for the first couple hundred capacitors and that was fine with me. I only moved up the the de-soldering sucker because it was quicker.

Vlad Draculea
01-13-2004, 03:24 AM
me

Vlad Draculea
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
aburro

Jeff
01-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Gotcha. ;)

BTW, the first part of that sounds a bit like myself... I don't allow anything to die... it just gets put to another use. :lol: