PDA

View Full Version : Questions about newly built system

FlyingHamster
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I've got some pretty newbie questions, hope you guys don't mind :ROTF:

System specs are in my sig.

1) First off, after I installed all the hardware, I turned on my computer, opened the cd drive and put in the windows cd to format the drive. after the drive closed, the whole system shut down for about a second, then turned itself back on. Should I be worried?

2) In the picture I attached of my motherboard, that 8-pin connection is labeled "ATX 12V 2X." I'm assuming that is for the 12v rail connection from my psu. So on my silverstone psu, I connected the cable labeled "EPS 8 pin/ ATX 4 pin" which has two 4-pin connectors at the ends. Is that the correct cable to connect there?

3) On the cable from the psu with the molex connectors, I have plugged in my cd-burner, dvd-rom, as well as three fans. Is that too many things connected? I have another cable I can use, I just don't have it plugged into the psu since it is modular.

4) The fan on the psu seems to be spinning pretty slow, since I can actually see it spinning unlike all the other fans in my case. I believe the psu has a built in temperature sensor, so is that maybe what is causing it to spin "slow" right now?

Thanks in advance, and again sorry for these n00b questions :up:

CrazyNutz
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Your good to go with the 8pin 12v connected there, and you should be fine with the 2x optical + 3 fans on the other, unless the fans are something crazy like those jet turbine delta getups.

What you need to do is execute the "process of elemination" procedure.
unplugg everything except the bare minimum i.e. use just 1hdd, 1optical, mobo/cpu/mem, gpu., and go from there. If problems still exist then check
cpu fan/heatsink is seated properly, and fan is running. Check your specs on your memory make sure its running at the correct timmings and voltage in the bios. Make sure GPU is seated. And pick the case up over your head and shake to see if any loose screws fall out.:)

Oh and one more thing: check the back of the PSU and see if the voltage select is set to the correct voltage of 110. if it has one

NFC
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
A BUNCH of Abit boards had this problem up until Abit bit the dust--there were no side effects other than what you described: Power on for 3 seconds, turn off for 2, then turn on and stay on.

There were many claims to why this happened, faulty bios, wake-on-lan settings, faulty PSUs, etc. The quickest way to determine the problem was as mentioned: swap the PSU out for another and see what happens.

As for the fan spinning slowly--don't worry, your PSU does indeed have thermal control and the fans can spin at a ridiculously low RPM.

You hooked everything up correctly as you described.

FlyingHamster
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
thank you, my fellow texans :D