PDA

View Full Version : Temp check!

Odai
09-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I recently set up a new loop (with the help of the many friendly users of this forum). I'd appreciate any input/advice on the temperatures I'm getting for this setup:

-TFC Xchanger with 3 120mm Gentle Typhoons
-Laing D5 with EK top (set to flow rate setting "5")
-EK supreme HF block
-Swiftech northbridge block (MCW-NBMAX I think)

All mounted in a corsair 800D case (radiator drawing air from in the case), and cooling:

-Core i7 920 @4.4GHz, 1.35V vcore and hyper-threading off
-Asus Rampage II Extreme northbridge

I'm getting temperatures of 75-80C (on the CPU cores) after around 30 minutes of Intel Burn Test.

Do these temperatures look OK? I've been looking at various posts on the forum (especially at the '4.5GHz club' thread), and am seeing mostly lower temperatures than what my loop is achieving, even with higher clocks.

sn0man
09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Depending on your ambient I'd say it's ballpark range, esp. for 4.4 @ 1.35 (and having the additional NB block in there).

D749
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
With my single loop setup (sig; 1.4+ VCORE) at load (LinX) I hit <= 80C (hottest core) at ~24C ambient.

Odai
09-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks guys. :)

However, from previous testing, HT would add about 10C to the peak temperature during load testing. This would push the temperatures to 90C with a decent water cooling system - doesn't that sound a little high? :confused:

PatRaceTin
09-15-2010, 06:34 AM
hmmm some "1366 CPUs" is golden and require very low VCore @4.5Ghz that may result in low temp

rge
09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Do these temperatures look OK? I've been looking at various posts on the forum (especially at the '4.5GHz club' thread), and am seeing mostly lower temperatures than what my loop is achieving, even with higher clocks.

In linx 4.5 club, you need to look at the minimum realtemp temps, and realize ambient temps are at least 7-8C lower than the average of minimum temps, even lower if vcore high.

I made my linx run at 17-19C ambient, many used ambients at 15C and lower (judging by realtemp). Reason being it is easier to run stable 4.5 to 4.7 at lower ambients, when your on the ragged edge of stability. My minimum temps should be even lower but I started run with ambients 20-21C, and as A/C continued to run in the little box I created, ambients gradually decreased further.

So not a good place to compare temps if your ambients are normal.

At 4.4 and 1.35 vcore and 1.35 vtt, with basically 360 rad for cpu, I load at 48-50C above ambient after 20 mins of linx, so ambient 24 gets me 74C. If your ambient is in 25C range, your probably in the ball park.

Also there is also 5-10C difference cpu to cpu just based on TDP difference cpu to cpu, even with same settings.

Also you may be couple C higher since cooling NB, also if your ambients are increasing as you run linx (if in a relatively small room) that will also skew your temps up.

- You might improve tim and get 1-2C better (dont know what your using).
- You are drawing hot air from within the case which will give you couple or few C higher temps.
- You could make sure case placement allows your expelled hot air from rad to not warm ambients around the case.
- you can use push pull and maybe get another degree cooler.

But your temps are fine and reasonable for your setup.