PDA

View Full Version : SSD Tweaks...

ga1ve1an
09-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Anybody got any opinions on the tweaks that this guy is doing. I ran some benchs awhile back and did realize gains (especially in Raid 0) from turning off EIST and C1 states as he mentioned in the article.. But he seems to be going much further and got some gains.

http://www.storagereview.com/how_improve_low_ssd_performance_intel_series_5_chi pset_environments

sn0man
09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Disabling CPU drivers? Seems like a stretch to me.

ga1ve1an
09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Disabling CPU drivers? Seems like a stretch to me.

One of the tweaks gave better synthetic.. but the other tweak was the one he seemed to be recommending since the real world results improved greatly.. I am just not sure exactly what is being changed in the system if you already have sleep states off and other things from the bios. :shrug:

sn0man
09-13-2010, 08:43 PM
One of the tweaks gave better synthetic.. but the other tweak was the one he seemed to be recommending since the real world results improved greatly.. I am just not sure exactly what is being changed in the system if you already have sleep states off and other things from the bios. :shrug:

Yeah, I don't quite understand the point of it either.

saint-francis
09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Aren't "SSD tweaks" a vestigial collection of steps to minimize small random writes from the JMicron SSD days which no longer have any bearing on contemporary disks? What makes any of the SSD tweaks more specific to SSD's than any other drive?

sn0man
09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Aren't "SSD tweaks" a vestigial collection of steps to minimize small random writes from the JMicron SSD days which no longer have any bearing on contemporary disks? What makes any of the SSD tweaks more specific to SSD's than any other drive?

I'd agree that a lot of the suggestions floating around these days are somewhat antiquated.

If you're running Windows 7 and have a drive with supports TRIM, there's not much you have to do.

Ao1
09-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Exactly, they did nothing to stop the problems with the JMicron controller and any decent SSD can eat the tiny reduction in writes that those tweaks try to eliminate.

@Snowman,

That review is trying to find a work around for the way the sata controller has been integrated. Laptops need to save power so the chip sets can (for example) be under clocked or they may share resources. With a HDD this would not be a problem, but with an SSD that saturates the sata interface it is a problem.

sn0man
09-14-2010, 01:42 AM
That review is trying to find a work around for the way the sata controller has been integrated. Laptops need to save power so the chip sets can (for example) be under clocked or they may share resources. With a HDD this would not be a problem, but with an SSD that saturates the sata interface it is a problem.

That makes sense. I've always preferred desktops myself, and hard drives spinning down / power saving stuff is usually the first thing I turn off.

flamenko
09-14-2010, 06:27 AM
I believe they are speaking as a result of a number of complaints about with respect to that specific chipset in laptops which does not allow full performance from the SSDs.

The word 'tweak' alone always draws interesting response. Here is where it started on the site...

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/28942-all-notebooks-with-intel-hm55-and-pm55-chipset-show-capped-ssd-performance/

W1zzard
09-14-2010, 06:36 AM
translated:

What Does it All Mean?
If you want to increase performance of the CPU, make sure the CPU doesn't clock down. Not downclocking the CPU increases system performance.

flamenko
09-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Yup....its pretty much an answer to all those who got stuck with that chipset and then fell prey to the theory that your SSD should have to get top marks from such and such a test. The reality is its pretty much impossible to tell the difference for the laymen in any case.