PDA

View Full Version : maybe a silly q about ram volts?

kromosto
01-04-2004, 01:19 PM
ok i want to know if i can do this or not?

buy cutting 3.3 volt lines one by one and find which one feeds the rams then connect a 5v line to that input by a pot and drop it to 3.3 volt will this work?

so i can increase my ram volt to like 3.8 3.9 volts without increasing all the 3.3 lines :D

am i stupid or a genious or just day dreaming? lol :D

Malves
01-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Dope! :D

Seriously, I believe giving more volts for the mem, the rest of the board will need more volts, too. So, it will keep the balance between the vdimm, vref and vtt.

Like I have my 3.3 rail set @ 3.65v and my vdimm @ 3.15v.

But what I am saying may be just cr@p.:rolleyes:

kromosto
01-04-2004, 01:37 PM
i was just wondering lol :) maybe vref and vtt are at that line so it might not be a problem

i got the idea because i dont want very xtreme thing just want to get bh5 work 275 1:1 @2-2-2-5 for benching lol :D i dont think its xtreme am i wrong :D:D:D:D

ok i think i have to wash my face and stop sleeping day time and work at night maybe this makes me think things like this :D

Holst
01-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Your onto a good idea... although this may be a little more complex than you realise..

If you want more than 3.3v vdimm and your Vdimm regulation is fed by the 3.3v line then you have a problem...

If you find the mosfets that regulate the Vdimm you "could" lift the legs and give them a higher input voltage. You could then mess with the Vreg to get the Vdimm you require..

You cant just take the 5v line and add a resistance to it to make it say 3.7v and feed that into the mosfets.. Because you need a regulated supply.. by just using a resistor the input voltage would change depending on the amperage drawn by the ram... this would have a major impact on stability.

If you could make a regulated 3.5v supply you could feed this straight to the memory itself... Jeff did this successfully on a faulty 8rda+ where he piped the 3.3v line straight into the ram. Of you could use this regulated supply to feed the vregs... you may be able to buy a low voltage 10amp lab power supply that would be perfect for such a task.

Another alternative would be to feed the Vdimm regulators with 5v... and alter the resistor devider on the vreg (probably caps as well) to get a lower Vdimm.... this may be very hard or very easy depending on how the board works.

This is not mentioning VDDQ, VBT and other voltages that may also need modding...

This is quite like somehting im working on in the Xabre contest.. as the ram is fed via the 3.3v line and I want to build my own Vreg so I can overvolt it...

Holst
01-04-2004, 01:40 PM
i dont want very xtreme thing

This sort of mod is very extreme... even by extreme systems standards...
Problably one of the most exreme vmods you can do IMHO.

kromosto
01-04-2004, 02:08 PM
thanks holst i have to do more search about it i think and my old p4p800 will be a good mobo to test this on i think after starting mods i just get upset that i worked on electronic lectures too little i am a computer engineer nut mostly educated with mostly on software and digital design but i have lots of electrical and electronics engineer friends and a very very good lab to work just want to try this

Malves
01-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Don't forget to let us know how it went. :)

I told ya what I was saying could be cr*p.:D

kromosto
01-04-2004, 02:17 PM
also what i was saying is a crap too :D

i think i can start (for saying in the true way me and friends can start) next week for this mod i will give every detail about how its going and will ask for your help again thanks :)

shortcircuit
01-05-2004, 04:20 AM
I already suggested (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=280856#post280856) this in the Gigabyte A64 vmod thread. I think it would work, especially since the vreg on the gigabyte can handle VCC at 5v. But I'm not trying it.