PDA

View Full Version : Laing D4 x 2 pumps or DDC 3.25 x2 pumps?

eclypse
09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Currently i have 3 Laing D4 pumps that i could use in my dual loops. Debating on using 2 of them with a dual face top for one line runing through 3x DD 480GTX blocks and HL 480GTX rad. Would that be ok or would i be better off getting 2 laing DDC 3.25 pumps?

Would i hear the D4 pumps more then the DDC 3.25 pumps over the Gental Typhoon 1850RPM fans?

Want to pull the trigger for the newer pumps but it would only cost me $80 for a dual pump face over $162 for the 2 new pumps and another $55 for the dual pump face.

Martinm210
09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Never had a D4, but if you don't mind the noise they make now, I would continue to use them.

eclypse
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Never had a D4, but if you don't mind the noise they make now, I would continue to use them.

I dont hear them now with my 140CFM screaming rad fans but i might soon as i'm building a new rig with 1850RPM Gentle Typhoon fans on the rads and the 1450RPM fans the rest of the case. So the high pitch hum from the pumps might just drive me insane. Noticed when i was bleeding the system just how load the pumps were as i've never noticed before with the fans runing.

The newer Laing DDC 3.25 pumps are alot quieter right?

BeepBeep2
09-08-2010, 05:38 PM

D4 = D5 Vario in perfomance on paper...

I'd use them, no reason to waste money on DDC 3.25's imo.

Martinm210
09-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I dont hear them now with my 140CFM screaming rad fans but i might soon as i'm building a new rig with 1850RPM Gentle Typhoon fans on the rads and the 1450RPM fans the rest of the case. So the high pitch hum from the pumps might just drive me insane. Noticed when i was bleeding the system just how load the pumps were as i've never noticed before with the fans runing.

The newer Laing DDC 3.25 pumps are alot quieter right?

I would probably try them without the new top first. I never really know with pump noise, some people say the D5 at p5 is too loud. I have 12 yates running under 1000 rpms and the fans still overtake any noise my d5 and DDC3.2 make. D4s are supposedly a bit noisy from what I've read, but I've also heard a couple people say the ddc3.25s are louder than the 3.2.

IMHO, If I was going to buy new pumps...Id wait for the new PWM ddcs to hit the shelves, then you could dial them in to your liking..

eclypse
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I would probably try them without the new top first. I never really know with pump noise, some people say the D5 at p5 is too loud. I have 12 yates running under 1000 rpms and the fans still overtake any noise my d5 and DDC3.2 make. D4s are supposedly a bit noisy from what I've read, but I've also heard a couple people say the ddc3.25s are louder than the 3.2.

IMHO, If I was going to buy new pumps...Id wait for the new PWM ddcs to hit the shelves, then you could dial them in to your liking..

Thanks for the info.. wish there was some review that measured the noise from the pumps so i'd know ahead of time.

When are the new pumps suppoed to hit?

I'd love to save some money but at the rediculous amount i've already spent on this new build, whats a few hundered more?

I'd just hate to buy a dual top for the D5 pumps and another pump since i have 3 pumps now and find out i can hear the pumps over the fans afterwards.

The pumps i have now are prob over 5 years old.. not that theres alot of hours on them though but i'd feel better just getting new pumps to protect the crap load of dough in hardware.

Martinm210
09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah, we havnt done a whole bunch on pump sound.

Gabe noted the new mcp35x pumps/tops were coming here:
Bottom of the first post:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258407

So that sound to me like design is all done and its really close. I'm not completely clear since he was also announcing the kits, but it sounded like the pumps/top were coming soon as well. The other cool thing he is offering is I believe a warranty with the top. The curves look really promising too.

I just really like the PWM option, basically a DDC3.25vario..:)

Also looks like some res options:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107295&stc=1&d=1283375342

I also like the nice ROUNDED curves...should be good performers I think:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107345&stc=1&d=1283536309

Although I wish they would post some of their testing in PSI/GPM units...always takes me a minute to figure out what I'm looking at. Designed in the USA, specified in metric only...:shrug:

1.5GPM = 5.7LPM, so it should produce over 6PSI at 1.5GPM or so. I havn't seen too many curves with the DDC3.25s yet, but a nice rounded curve is usually a good sign from what I have seen before. Regardless, they included the D5 curves and those DDC3.2X curves are substantially stronger....much more so than the old D5vsDDC3.2 curve comparisons.

I'm looking forward to the new PWM pump and tops, should be a really good option (power of the DDC3.25 if you need it and the flexibility of a D5 vario to turn it down if the noise is bothering you) You could even control it thermally via PWM MB controls to have the best of both. I still like my D5, but this new PWM option is really cool IMHO.

eclypse
09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info.. I might just run what i got with no custom tops for now and wait for the new pumps. :)