PDA

View Full Version : XBox PS3 Wii For Netflix which one?

Glow9
09-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Alright so I got to experience netflix on my buddys ps3 the other day I'm impressed. I don't have money for cable but I can do like $9 a month in movies sure. So which system would be best to do it? I hear the wii can't do HD? Is netflix in HD? I guess I haven't followed much in terms of consoles or even netflix so a lot of this is new to me. I don't leave my comp much for entertainment.

Wii I like the goofy games don't think I'd play it much.
PS3 Blue ray is an added bonus.
Xbox I'm kinda scared it will start on fire. Do you need to be a part of xbox live to use streaming netflix?

So then which produces the best audio/video?

Lastly where to find the best deals on these?

Thanks Console Gamers :)

Also my TV is a Digimate DGL26 1280 x 768, S video and RBG style componant inputs.

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I have not done netflix on any console, but I'll give you my opinion from what I gather.

Wii: no bluray, no HD. I'd skip out on this...
Xbox: requires you to pay for online on top of netflix. It should do HD, but no blueray support
PS3: Has both bluray and HD streaming. Seems like a winner.

If you already own a 360, either use that to stream (should be fine) OR you can get either that POS apple tv b/c it supports that (and does a decent job oddly enough) or the roku. Both are $99. Saves you some cash.

EDIT: If you need bluray, use it as an excuse to get a PS3.

Glow9
09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Roku seems interesting, do you have it? The Amazon in Demand thing is kinda confusing. Is it .99 for anything you want to watch? Cause that seems kinda terrible compared to netflix.

Splave
09-03-2010, 05:59 PM
use your PC :) if you have a decent wireless connection mine is (125 capped and I cant watch HD without waiting 20 minutes for buffering)

Kingcarcas
09-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Ps3 :D Simply because it's my console of choice, but eventually i will get a dedicated Blu-ray player because of power consumption and supposedly they have better PQ.

I hear the GUI is a lot better under the 360 and you don't need to use the disc.

Glow9
09-04-2010, 07:16 AM
anyone have a roku? can you listen o pandora with a ps3?

zanzabar
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
the ps3 is nice since it dose not cost anything extra other than having a ps3 and netflix, and the interface is better, the 360 is bottom since it costs the most and u have to pay for live for netflix, and the wii is fine for netflix but u have to buy the component video cable then it will run 480p wide screen and it looks fine (its terrible with the composite rca cable)

so overall i would go ps3 if u are on a tight budget then wii, u should be able to get a 120GB for like $250-275 when the 160GB is out in a week.

i dont know about pandora but u can do anything with flash that dose not actively block u (like hulu), or u can use tversity and stream anything like pandora or hulu from the pc or any of your pc files, but u need to be wired or get the one with wireless n for 1080p otherwise its 720p only for streaming but u would not really stream 1080p

Lestat
09-07-2010, 06:28 PM
The interface is NOT better, in fact its slower than sh|T.

use the 360, you dont need to have the disk inserted all the time, and its fast,,, like right now kind of fast.
the PS3 is really slow because for some reason its always doing :banana::banana::banana::banana: with the disk.

both allow FULL browsing of the entire, or what i believe to be entire, playing on demand netflix library.
few devices do this.

i have several devices, a 360 a ps3 and 2x seagate Freeagent Theater+
i prefer the 360 out of all of them for the reasons i listed above.
but daily i use the Seagate because i can atleast view my play it now que. and if i want to add mroe i just browse with my PC or phone and add it to the queue, refresh the lsit and its on the seagate.

but overall the 360, is the fastest, and best.

but YES i do agree that having to have a xbox live gold membership when the PS3 is free is pretty much bullsh|t.

Glow9
09-08-2010, 05:23 PM
The interface is NOT better, in fact its slower than sh|T.

use the 360, you dont need to have the disk inserted all the time, and its fast,,, like right now kind of fast.
the PS3 is really slow because for some reason its always doing :banana::banana::banana::banana: with the disk.

both allow FULL browsing of the entire, or what i believe to be entire, playing on demand netflix library.
few devices do this.

i have several devices, a 360 a ps3 and 2x seagate Freeagent Theater+
i prefer the 360 out of all of them for the reasons i listed above.
but daily i use the Seagate because i can atleast view my play it now que. and if i want to add mroe i just browse with my PC or phone and add it to the queue, refresh the lsit and its on the seagate.

but overall the 360, is the fastest, and best.

but YES i do agree that having to have a xbox live gold membership when the PS3 is free is pretty much bullsh|t.

how is the Freeagent Theater compared to Roku and such? Have you seen both? I really dont want to pay for a monthly service I wont use like xbox live. Do you need to buy a HD or does the Freeagent Theater come with one?

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-09-2010, 09:38 AM
There was a great deal on the roku player for $75 shipped, but it sold out on woot. I was about to post it, but well, OOS = :(.

If you want a netflix player, either get a blu-ray player or something dedicated. As much as I hate apple, $100 for a very very small player that does netflix for free is a good deal, that or a new roku.

Glow9
09-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Synthetickiller;4544337']There was a great deal on the roku player for $75 shipped, but it sold out on woot. I was about to post it, but well, OOS = :(.

If you want a netflix player, either get a blu-ray player or something dedicated. As much as I hate apple, $100 for a very very small player that does netflix for free is a good deal, that or a new roku.

Do any of these get MLB or NFL or even any regular TV Stations?

zanzabar
09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Do any of these get MLB or NFL or even any regular TV Stations?

there is a qam tuner for the ps3 but its jap only and in the future there will be an IPTV over ethernet program for the 360, or i think that the new tivo dose netflix and tv included encrypted (its cable card)

and i thought that the ps3 was better than the 360 it updates from the insta que faster and i like the white/red better, but the 360 dose not need a disk but then the ps3 wont ether in 2011 once the MS exclusive contract is done

Glow9
09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
but the 360 dose not need a disk but then the ps3 wont ether in 2011 once the MS exclusive contract is done

Can you clear this up for me? I'm a bit confused

Kingcarcas
09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Some loophole with Netflix bringing its service to the Ps3 and Wii, but to not step on the deal they had with the 360 they force us to insert a disc to use it....

Kunaak
09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I have Netflix on 2 consoles - the Wiii, and the 360.

I've had netflix on the 360 for a very long time now, its only gotten better with time, and is pretty much my main source of entertainment these days- even so that I canceled cable tv a long time ago, and use only netflix.
I really have no complaints about the streaming of movies to the 360, its solid, reliable and predictable.
the selection is sometimes lacking, but I am not the kinda person that watchs 50 hours of TV a week, so thats never really botherd me.
+ I like documentrys alot, and theres a ton of them on there.

about a month ago, I got a wii again, cause of metroid - other m.
I did go out of my way to get the netflix disc for it, cause I cant help but to always try to use everything a console can do.
I thought it would be pretty cool, cause the wii does use less power from the socket, and is alittle quieter.
but I quickly decieded it wasnt worth it, with the constant "stall playing".
what happens for me is, 45 minutes, a movie will be good, then it will just "stall" but the sound will keep playing like normal, then 3 seconds later, the movie will catch up.
this will continue randomly, till the movie ends.
a way I can fix the "stall play" thing is, when it happens, pause the movie for a minute, then start it up - then its ok for about another 45 minutes...
but the issue never goes away, atleast, not for me.

I tried it for about 2 nights before I decieded it just wasnt worth doing, since it works so well on my 360 already.