PDA

View Full Version : Which 560 rad for my build? (Diagram included, any advice welcomed)

sirsiddius
09-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Basically I'm starting uni in a couple of weeks, I've always been interested in liquid cooling. I saved enough money for a decent build (thanks in part to rocking the same socket 478 rig for over 8 years).

Anyways this is what I have planned.
http://ui12.gamespot.com/395/untitled_2.jpg

I've prowled the forums for a while now so I'm not a total noob. The only part I'm not sure about is what 560 rad to use.

I plan to buy 5 YL D14SH-12 fans. The rated specs for these things are all over the place. They range from 1800rpm to 2800 rpm from vendor to vendor, so I'm going with the worst case scenario and assume that they spin at 1800.

The 2 NZXT fans are from the case itself, they are 9 bladed and spin at 1300rpm.

Anyways there are only 3 560 rads out there AFAIK. The GTX 560, the SR1 560 and the G-changer 560. So what I'm asking is which of these rads are best suited for my build?

Also as my 1st wc project, I will appreciate any suggestions or criticisms.

The case I'm using is an NZXT tempest evo. Fitting the rad will require some slight modding, which I can preform with a dremmel in 20 minutes.

And I'm leaning towards EK blocks for both cpu and gpu because they are cheapest of high end blocks. The supreme HF offers stellar performance. And their FC GTX480 is above average, and both are low restriction, which I gather is important for a cpu gpu loop.

OK so I'll stop my blabbering now and start listening to input. Thanks again for your help.

Tackleberry
09-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I think that rad is too big for only using CPU and 1 GPU blocks.

ggdh
09-03-2010, 02:25 AM
Massive overkill. But if you plan adding two more GPUs that makes sense ;)

ChaosAD
09-03-2010, 03:31 AM
I dont know which rad is the best, i might go with the SR1 though, but i know that overkill is good :yepp: Imo better have a bigger rad from the start rather than having to change it later if you add more hardware.

prtuc2
09-03-2010, 03:36 AM
At the rear your pump is left in the mid-air is not a good idea, since it vibrates a lot you might as well place it inside your case. If you going with that size radiator you might go with SR-1 due to high quality plus you can use quiter fan to achieve great performance. Keep in mind in college dorm roommate won't appreciate the extra noise of your fans, so keep it low for yourself and respect others, unless he is a jerk to begin with.

sirsiddius
09-03-2010, 03:50 AM
I dont know which rad is the best, i might go with the SR1 though, but i know that overkill is good :yepp: Imo better have a bigger rad from the start rather than having to change it later if you add more hardware.

Hehe, that's the spirit. After all LC itself is overkill. Your hardware will do fine on stock cooling with a moderate overclock. And since the rad is externally mounted anyways I might as well go the whole hog.

PS. Has anyone actually got a phobya 560 they're pretty common in Europe since AT is flogging them in multiple countries, but strangely I've never seen a user review or forum photos or anything.

sirsiddius
09-03-2010, 04:09 AM
At the rear your pump is left in the mid-air is not a good idea, since it vibrates a lot you might as well place it inside your case. If you going with that size radiator you might go with SR-1 due to high quality plus you can use quiter fan to achieve great performance. Keep in mind in college dorm roommate won't appreciate the extra noise of your fans, so keep it low for yourself and respect others, unless he is a jerk to begin with.

I think the pump should be held firmly in place between the 2 pieces of tubing. If it vibrates or gyrates excessively I will probably put stock top back, put the pump in a drive bay and exchange the XSPC Restop for a swiftech microres.

And I got a my own room in the halls, but I'm getting a fan controller anyways since I value peace and quiet as much as the next guy.

somethingclever
09-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Shoudn't Yate Loon's not be mounted horizontally? They are sleeve bearing fans, and it's my understanding that they have reliability issues in that configuration.

I vote SR1 with some Gentle Typhoons in pull. Maybe do the 1850's and downvolt them for now, in case you add another video card.

edit: with 120 -> 140 adapters obviously

Church
09-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Gentle Typhoons are 120mm only. I don't know if they will be as good if used with 120>140mm adapters. I'm guessing, that looks might be compromised aswell.
On the side note, there are Yate Loons with ball bearings aswell, at least on their site they claim similar performance/noise numbers as for their sleeve bearing counterparts. I know that these ball bearing yates are used in some PSUs. Unfortunately i have yet to find any independent 3rd party direct comparison performance/noise wise with their wonderful common sleeve bearing fans :/

stephanel1345
09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
a small review of phobya 560

it seems very interesting

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/offizielle-pcghx-wasserkuehlungstests/92710-hands-wahrer-riese-im-kurztest-phobya-g-changer-560-a.html

:rofl:

Church
09-29-2010, 02:20 PM
For fan choice one might take a look here (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/140mm-fan-roundup.html).