PDA

View Full Version : GTX480: Aftermarket cooling in SG07?

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm thinking.... my 30" needs power. GTX 260 doesn't cut it anymore.

GTX480 seems to be the answer. Issue is, its loud. So what's the solution? Aftermarket cooling!

So the problem is, the SG07 will be its home and its cramped.

Do you guys think a non-rear exhausting card will be an issue? The top 180mm fan blows on everything besides that side of the card. The back of the card gets cooled effectively, go figure.

I also have to be careful with how the card is made. I need a plastic back on the card as it WILL touch my heatsink. I can't get around it hitting the heatpipes.

What do you guys think?

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
So, I did some more research and found a few options...

Gelid Icy Vision or Zalman VF3000F. The Thermalright spitfire won't fit, so its not an option.

Does anyone know of any comparisons between the 2? Both appear to fit and they are a whole heck of a lot quieter.

lkiller123
09-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Zalman seems to be relatively new to the market. I say get the Gelid, spec is similar to Zalman and it had been real popular on other forums (there's a 24-page thread about it on OCN).

The Gelid also looks hell a lot better than the Zalman :D

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Looks matter slightly since I can actually SEE this card through the window. Sounds like that's the route I'll probably be taking. :D

lkiller123
09-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I think Gelid HAS to be the way to go. I searched around Google and the Zalman is no where to be found. Good luck :up:

stangracin3
09-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I think Gelid HAS to be the way to go. I searched around Google and the Zalman is no where to be found. Good luck :up:

youve never heard of zalman?????????????????????????

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Zalman&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CyOaDJFeATOeuMYOIyASVsNyXBgAAAKoEBU_Qj4bR&pbx=1&fp=fbb82a6afec8c3ff

go with the zalman

lkiller123
09-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Noooo, I meant it is no where to be found to buy. :)

Klarko
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Isnt that A LOT of heat in a small case? and when adding a zalman arent you blowing air back into the case instead of out back?

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-02-2010, 08:20 PM
That's the issue I'm trying to tackle. Either solution doesn''t exhaust air out of the case, but is FAR quieter.

If any air moves to the other side, my down blowing 180mm and 120mm fans will force that air out of the case incredibly quick. Silverstone designed the case to be entiresly positive pressure cooled.

There's one guy on this forum (can't recall his name right now) woh has a GTX 480 in the same case, but I believe its stock. I can't run this card stock because I'd have to remove the 180mm fan.