PDA

View Full Version : Does feser coolants lower temps?

closeracing
09-01-2010, 03:06 AM
I have heard about feser lowering temps, and on my 1st wc setup I used it, changed mobos ran out of feser and now have higher temps.

BeepBeep2
09-01-2010, 03:16 AM
Err...

Elpy
09-01-2010, 03:36 AM
Err...
What BeepBeep2 meant to say is that no. I think Feser includes glycol and other stuff which actually lower the performance -> causes higher temps. And their colored coolants have been reported to gunk up in the loop.

The best choice for coolant is really just distilled water and for example silver as biocide. Water has good conductivity so it will work well and silver kills all bacteria. All other coolants really base on distilled water anyway but just add some other crap in there. I think there are some other magical coolants that base on something else but I havent really heard of anything that would work better than water.

KingOfsorroW
09-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Sure it does:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258059
:) not...

Elpy
09-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Well that link is kind of pointless here since it was just mainly trash-talking and flames rather than talking about the coolants. However I'm sure there are some threads about actual testing and features of the pointless coolants. Just too lazy to find any :)

KingOfsorroW
09-01-2010, 04:19 AM
It's good as a compilation of people' opinions on the coolant. :) Sure there are threads with some serious testings of different coolants on this forum. Just need to find them -)

Church
09-01-2010, 04:30 AM
About the only coolant (but with minimal gains) better then distilled water might be this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257131). All other coolants are some mixes of water with less effective as coolant liquids, so the bigger their share in those mixes, the worse cooling performance. Sometimes their usage is needed though, eg. in those rare cases when someone uses aluminium LC parts in their loop, to lessen/prevent corrosion. As in proper setups with copper/brass/stainless steel components only there are no corrosion issues, no need to use those less effective mixes (except maybe aesthetic reasons because of coloring, but i prefer using colored tubing instead).

Devil_Dog
09-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Thank you for making me gag on my coffee this morning.:coffee:

NaeKuh
09-01-2010, 08:04 AM
About the only coolant (but with minimal gains) better then distilled water might be this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257131).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1444834#post1444834

takes cake in coolants.. :rofl:

of course it cost probably the same as a honda civic.

Well that link is kind of pointless here since it was just mainly trash-talking and flames rather than talking about the coolants. However I'm sure there are some threads about actual testing and features of the pointless coolants. Just too lazy to find any :)

And just how feser lies to its public, ie like the OP and fools customers to buy its junk?

Sorry, i will bash and continue to bash any company who doesnt like to tell the truth.
And if the company wont still tell the truth, then let it be hold, i will be the first one out there with a lynch party + torch to lite the vendor on flames.

Elpy
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
[url]And just how feser lies to its public, ie like the OP and fools customers to buy its junk?

Sorry, i will bash and continue to bash any company who doesnt like to tell the truth.
And if the company wont still tell the truth, then let it be hold, i will be the first one out there with a lynch party + torch to lite the vendor on flames.
And now you are going off-topic :). I just said that the link is kind of pointless as it doesnt actually answer the question he made. Would had been different if he asked if Feser was a good company.. But he just asked if the coolant is better and he already received an answer to that :P. I dont mind bashing and I wouldnt buy anything from Feser myself either way. Just no need to expand it in every thread :cool:

Waterlogged
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Didn't start out that way. I'll admit, I probably was a little vague in the first post as to why I started the topic but King hit the nail right on the head. That topic was about all the misinformation about specialty coolants, Had Rodney mentioned Primochill or FluidXP and not the company he did, I still would have started the topic. The things mentioned in the video I linked to about anti corrosion and non conductive just simply aren't true (unless you purposely use aluminum in a loop with copper/brass), and there are other idiots running around saying these custom fluids give the lowest temps as well. . .well, they don't, never have. I ran the very first Primochill fluid when it came out and when I switched back to distilled water on the same system, my temps had dropped 4°C, that's with no remount or anything else changed in the system.

wesley
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Troll.

NaeKuh
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
And now you are going off-topic :). I just said that the link is kind of pointless as it doesnt actually answer the question he made. Would had been different if he asked if Feser was a good company.. But he just asked if the coolant is better and he already received an answer to that :P. I dont mind bashing and I wouldnt buy anything from Feser myself either way. Just no need to expand it in every thread :cool:

did you completely miss my other post?

So what does one need in order to be allowed to talk trash about a company?

And feser coolant is a very touchy subject to me.
Why? because i was the one taking the full front of flames when i was warning against it.

You can ask shazza about this.. our forum mom on countless times has told me.. "terry let it go" in regards to feser coolant!

Then snipe comes along and shows us real proof i was correct in my original claims.

And yes i am a bit sad we have a higher level of trash talk on this forum, but some of us have justifications.

If you think this is bad, you should of seen me hashing it out with koolance + aqua computers b4 they decided to do stuff right.

Thank god, they changed, and are a wonderful company now, but back in the days, things werent all nice and sunny like they are now.

And how did this change come about?
Shall i pull up the countless Aqua computers and Koolance Bash threads this forum has in archive?

Do you think mario WONT lie anymore if we ask nicely and go, Hey mario can you be truthful with EVERYTHING from now on and listen to us?
THIS IS FESER WERE TALKING ABOUT.

And to be honest, i have a lot of feser stuff.
I have 2 480 rads, went though about 30feet of there tubing.
The rads id say are great, but as everyone else says, a bit over priced, but its pure copper, and its German engineered.. :\
The tubing is also great, but a bit more expensive then primochill.
Nothing to complain about tribewerk fans minus PRICE.

The coolant... well any vendor who bulls and says dyes dont stain, needs a firm slapping.

At least MLwood was honest to say in his first post, ALL HIS DYES STAIN.

Didn't start out that way. I'll admit, I probably was a little vague in the first post as to why I started the topic but King hit the nail right on the head. That topic was about all the misinformation about specialty coolants, Had Rodney mentioned Primochill or FluidXP and not the company he did, I still would have started the topic. The things mentioned in the video I linked to about anti corrosion and non conductive just simply aren't true (unless you purposely use aluminum in a loop with copper/brass), and there are other idiots running around saying these custom fluids give the lowest temps as well. . .well, they don't, never have. I ran the very first Primochill fluid when it came out and when I switched back to distilled water on the same system, my temps had dropped 4°C, that's with no remount or anything else changed in the system.

To be honest, i was talking to dave about it.
And i honestly didnt see u in the wrong.

I think dave just closed it because it got too personal with you and the other guy who i wont mention.
Both of you guys are friends of mine, and i hate to see u two hash it out.

But WL, i didnt see any fault on your side.
Sometimes We the public needs to be aggressive in order to force change.

Example:
KOOLANCE and Aqua Computers.

WIthout a firm stand on these two guys, i dont think we would of flipped a change on them to the fine company they are now.

Even Corsair changed the H5O to the H7O after listening to all of us BASH it.
So dont even start with me on the needs to be civil.
It doesnt work when your fighting against a bloated ego which a Vendor will have.

Did u guys see me ask Eddy EK nicely to add standoff's to his GPUs?
I assploded on a Standoff thread, and Eddy listened and changed his GPU Blocks so they have standoffs.

I do ask nicely, when they dont listen, i flame.
And when i flame, vendors usually know im gonna be a tough cookie.

Elpy
09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Well to be honest, I couldnt care less about Feser because the moment I heard their website the first time I decided that I will never purchase anything made by them. That is why I also didnt really follow WL's thread, just read a bit out of it when i was bored at work.

And well yeah I did see the liquid gallium link.. I just kind of forgot to pay attention to it and reply to the lower text.. And I admit i forgot all about the liquid gallium once I started to reply.. My bad :ROTF:, I'll take back the part about going off-topic :) (totally atleast)

I do agree with all you say. Companies that lie and do :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty products should be flamed at. It is impossible for invidual customers to see though some lies and so on which is also one reason why I give a lot of respect to ppl like skinnee (and all other XS members doing tests) who actually shows the facts about all products. Makes it easy for us to spot the good ones from the crap. (not that they can test everything either). Especially as we are spending lots of money on their products, they should be 100% truthful about them.

I just mainly jumped on it because I felt that it was unnecessary to continue the flaming in this thread as WL's thread was just locked. Flames tend to off-rail a thread quickly (which pretty much already happened :hammer:)

Indeed if you had specified it a bit clearer than you meant all coolant mixes in general, then it might had maybe gone on in a bit better direction heh. And I do agree on that ppl shouldnt be adviced to use anything else than distilled water. The thread just came out in way which was only an attack to Feser. Oh well too late to change that now :).

It's unfortunate how those coolants are bought by newbies easily as you can find them in every watercooling shop.. but only way you will find about distilled water being better is by reading from some forums/websites... I almost went for glycol-based coolants when I started designing my current PC (which is my first watercooled one).. but luckily had the time to do my homework :rolleyes:

Movieman
09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Never used Feser coolants so I don't know personally but I'm from the school of "If it an't broken don't fix it"
Ran a dual Harpertown for 3 years at 100% load with just distilled water and hydrix.
2 years into that I added maybe 2 ounces more due to evaporation.
That's it, nothing else. Yea, the color faded some but nothing else.
That to me says it works and why go looking to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

shazza
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
oh my ... coolant seems to be a hot topic these days.

NaeKuh is correct ... we did go a few rounds about the coolant argument - my point was that some people are going to want to use colored coolants, so we can't just say they are no good - we need to warn folks about the extra risk they are taking for an aesthetic (not performance!) gain. (I didn't need to see Snipe's photos - I'd already experienced the same thing with another brand,but his thread was a good eye opener for many).

It's worth saying again - distilled water and a biocide is all you really need. Use colored coolants if you must have the color, but watch it carefully. Don't believe the hype about non-conductivity and more - treat colored coolant just as you would distilled water - Leak Test and don't spill any on your hardware! And don't expect to get lower temperatures with the coolants currently on the market.

Much as I prefer colored coolant, I'm using distilled and silver in my current build. **Mom Mode Off**