PDA

View Full Version : XSPC blaming d5 res for dual bay issue

s002wjh
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
sry i meant xspc
does anyone has issue fitting the circular XSPC bracket for the d5 pump? it seem its a bit smaller than the Circumference of the pump. it says the cut out cirular area should face the front.

maybe i need to file a bit with a dremel?

i have the swiftech 655-b version, it should has same dimension as the 655 right

step 2
http://www.xspc.biz/manuals/d5bayres.pdf

never mind i was so dumb, was trying to force the bracket from the front instead from rear. :)

aberchonbie
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
show us pics! I have the same unit coming Thursday to install in my SFF!

Church
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
655-b is same dimensions as 655 (and D5/D5 Vario/D5 Strong/PMP-450/PMP-450S), right. It just lacks 655's speed controller and is fixed to speed #4 from 1-5 of 655's.

Captain_Harlock
08-29-2010, 11:31 PM
So just to make it clear, are you saying that the flange that hods the pump in place (the circular bracket) is to small to fit over the back of the pump? I have that res and had no problems with it, but sometimes a piece can be cut wrong. If thats the case, XSPC will replace it free of charge. I've always had good service from them and quickly considering there out of the UK and I'm in the U.S. You should NOT file anything at all on the res. That will only void your warranty. If you have to put the build off for a bit then so be it unless you have the skill to cut and keep it water tight as thats the whole point of that flange piece.

Lets make sure that your doing the step in the correct order as the one thing XSPC has never been good with is writing directions as well as even supplying then in with the product. First you take the res and put it on its end, so as the place for the pump is pointing upwards. Since you dont have the vario pump, the next part should be pretty easy. Take the front of your 655-b off and remove the o-ring. You wont be able to use the original o-ring with this res as its too small. Take the new larger oring that came with the res and place it on the pump and push it down to the base of the metal lip. The well in the res will act as the new head and its slightly larger than the original head so thats why the o-ring goes down to that metal ring now. As your pump is not the vario model, you dont need to worry about setting your speed setting or places the pump in a way that you can get to it. Keep that in mind for the future if you decide to replace it though. Just place the pump in a way that the power cord is in the best place for cable routing (be it top, middle or bottom of the res). So place the pump with the new, larger o-ring on it into the res, and try to seat it firmly. Next, run the power cord for the pump through the opening in the flange and slid it up the cord and over the back of the pump. Line the screw holes up and slowly tighten each one in a criss-cross pattern. You cant really guage the correct number of turns by feel or anything. They turn a bit rough in this material. So as its starts to get tighter, you need to stop and take a good look at the o-ring (which can be a little hard to see so pay close attention), as you will notice the o-ring gets darket as it gets pressed into place. What you are looking for is a good, solid black contact arround the whole ring. The screws will get hard to turn as you do this, just go slow and easy and keep doing checks for good o-ring contact. Once you see the whole o-ring has made contact, you have tightened the screws down enough. Thats pretty much all there is to it. I hope that covers the problem, cause if it doesnt then your original assessment could be right.

Now if the hole of that flange is too small and does not fit over the back of the pump, then yes its been cut to small and you will have to have XSPC or your vendor send you a replacement flange or entire res unit. But since that flange should be cut to evenly push down on the metal lip of the backside of the pump, you should not dremel or cut it at all. It will become uneven and your res will leak at the pump over time.

Oh, you will want a fairly long screwdriver to mount the pump with as the there is a good deal of space between the end of outside of the res allows access to the inside where the mounting screws go. So give us an update as to what you think the problem is when you can. I'm curious about it now.

aberchonbie
09-02-2010, 01:48 PM
My unit is coming today! Can't wait til I get off work to go mess with it!