PDA

View Full Version : Final leak test and flux

Hi_Clocks
08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Im finishing up on my first WC build and had just filled the loop to do the final leak test inside my case. After a bit of filling res, turning pump on etc. I noticed there was some small particles floating around the top of the reservoir. This even after I flushed radiator an AWFUL lot and even let 91% rubbing alcohol sit in it for a day. While flushing, I followed the recommended procedure of fill full, drain 1/2 out, shake, empty, then repeat. After I had done the first leak test of the components outside of the case, it had appeared that the reservoir was nearly completely clean. Now as Im at the final stage with the whole loop in my case I still notice some small particles floating around the top of the reservoir. Is this normal to a degree, or should I see none at all up at the top? Any way I can get the particles out the top of the reservoir without having to tear down the whole loop?

Conumdrum
08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Yes, use a turkey baster from a grocery store.

Sideroxylon
08-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I still get flux getting caught up in my cpu block after almost 5 months. And this is after I went through all the hassle of pre-cleaning the rad too. That's the worst thing about the Thermochill rads is the damn flux.

Hi_Clocks
08-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, use a turkey baster from a grocery store.

Good idea, I would try that but I have very minimum amount of room to work with just above the top of my reservoir.

Ive got a drain off one of my bottom side holes on my EK 250 Res, would it be best to drain the res then fill and drain again? Would this get most of the small particles out or would they stay in res?

Stealth42o
08-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Any way I can get the particles out the top of the reservoir without having to tear down the whole loop?

I just dap it with a dry paper towel, it will soak up the little bits of flux. Just rinse and repeat till you get it all.

Hi_Clocks
08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up picking up an ear syringe and some air line and sucked most all of the flux particles out the top of the reservoir, worked like a charm!

Sideroxylon
08-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Keep an eye on your flow. I guarantee that your block is slowly plugging up. Those micro fins work great as a filter. I've had to flush my system and clean my block several times now. Here's a pic for ya...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Sideroxylon/035.jpg