PDA

View Full Version : Gaming/Music headphones - $200

Kain665
08-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I've been using a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!s, and I am very happy with the sound and comfort, but build quality leaves much to be desired. After two years of superglue, countless wires and solder, my right earphone has completely detached itself from the frame, unrepairable. Right now I have it wrapped in duct tape to the frame :rofl:. I'm looking for something new, with better build quality, but not skimping on the comfort. I have a MASSIVE head, so size does matter. I've been looking at Grado SR125is, but I'd like something with stock minijack compatibility. Any suggestions?

BenchZowner
08-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Look at hi-fi headphones from:

AKG
AudioTechnica
Grado
Sennheiser

You can't go wrong with their mid-end & high end models of course.

cabbspapp
08-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Be sure to do your research because some headphones need to be amplified to sound good, like Beyerdynamic headphones. Tons of good headphone info on Head-Fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/

I personally use Audio Technica AD700s and I Prefer them over my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80s. Although I'm probably not amping the 770s enough, I found it to be uncomfortable and prefer open-ear headphones to closed ear.

zanzabar
08-27-2010, 11:28 AM
i like my beyerdynamics dt770 pro 80ohm, but u do need an amp or a sound card with one built in, u can get away with an xfi or audogy with no amp but if u get one with an amp or a reviver or amp they work much better. they have a 240 or 250 ohm version (not the pro i think the premium) and those work with about anything

Kain665
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm just using either an Xfi or onboard, lol. My Zune perhaps.

EniGmA1987
08-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I would go with Sennheiser HD555s if you want pretty good sounding headphones and are only planning on using onboard sound or an XFi card.

zanzabar
08-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I would go with Sennheiser HD555s if you want pretty good sounding headphones and are only planning on using onboard sound or an XFi card.

the 555 and all of the sens are over rated, i would take the audio tecnicas over the 555 or any sub $400 sens

trn
08-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd recommend Audiotechnica ADH's. I have the 900's which are awesome and i've had a chance to listen to the 700's and they were pretty damn good and I think they can be bought on Amazon for a really good price (sub $100.)

And you mention comfort; the ADH's are very comfortable. I have a pair of Grado's and they are very uncomfortable, SR80's or SR100's or something like that. Ever since I got the ADH's I don't even remember what I did with the Grado's :D

Kain665
08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah the Audiotechnicas look like a good choice for $90. I wonder how comfortable they will be on my massive head...

zanzabar
08-28-2010, 10:35 PM
the beyer dynamics are comfortable, some times they come to tight from the spring effect on the head band but that can be fixed with some stretching and leaving them over a dvd spindle or something.

Donnie27
09-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I've been using a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!s, and I am very happy with the sound and comfort, but build quality leaves much to be desired. After two years of superglue, countless wires and solder, my right earphone has completely detached itself from the frame, unrepairable. Right now I have it wrapped in duct tape to the frame :rofl:. I'm looking for something new, with better build quality, but not skimping on the comfort. I have a MASSIVE head, so size does matter. I've been looking at Grado SR125is, but I'd like something with stock minijack compatibility. Any suggestions?

First choice is the DT 770 in their price range is hard to beat.

What would I buy if I needed a new set right now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-AKG-K701-Open-Back-Dynamic-Headphones-AKG-K-701-/220661695003?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item336076421b

A steal at that price LOL! They can both Game and Play Back Music with the best of them. I saved my hearing so I don't need an AMP like most others.

Cpl Ledanek
09-01-2010, 01:10 PM
the beyer dynamics are comfortable, some times they come to tight from the spring effect on the head band but that can be fixed with some stretching and leaving them over a dvd spindle or something.

I left my DT770 stretched over a basketball for a long time before it got to where I'm comfortable. I used it with my soundcard (see sig) and with my iPod Touch I use a Fii E5 and it does fine.
Sound great with DiRT2, GTR2/Race07/Evo, CODMW/2, Batman Asylum, etc

amd4me
09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Beyerdynamic DT-770 is what I would recommend. Killer bass and decent clarity and staging provided they are powered correctly.

grimREEFER
09-14-2010, 12:30 AM
if you want full size headphones - audio technica ad700

but you mentioned your gonna use it with a zune...makes me think you should get headphones with some portability, such as the audio technica es7.

sn0man
09-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Can't speak for the other recommendations, but I have a pair of 555's which I love. Sennheiser also announced the 558, though no word on price yet.

1ke
10-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I recommend AKG. If you don't care about having very bass heavy headphones, their stuff has excellent sound stage and clarity.

hazardous
10-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Tons of viable options out there, and as suggested I would head over to Headfi and start doing some research. As for your question about the Grados in your initial post, I would not recommend any Grado headphone for gaming use. They are superb for music listening (I own both sr225i and RS1i currently), but they are widely considered uncomfortable for extended use. They also lack the bass needed to make many gaming effects such as explosions really pop. Your best bet is going to be to look at either the Beyers or the Audio Technicas. Think about whether you want open or closed headphones, and do research about amps as well.

avddreamr
10-30-2010, 01:00 PM
My Suggestion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-K702-Reference-Headphones-K-702-headphone-/370445699020?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item564048c7cc#ht_3584wt_1135

I just got these in the mail this morning, and I'm impressed.
They have a ridiculously wide sound stage, and semi-accurate but not bloated bass.
One thing I noticed is that sound stage shifts a bit, by how you have them positioned on your head.
They sound decent on an ipod, so I would imagine they would sound fine regardless of how you drive them.
They are not "juicy"... they are very uncolored. They are probably worth the 30 bucks above your budget. Considering the k701 (identical except for color, and lack of detachable chord), was considered by stereophile to be a great value at 450.... at close to half that price... they are an extraordinary value.

My primary headphones prior to these were shure iem e3c (these have more base and similiar tonality).
Speakers are Infinity Overtures as Bedroom Speakers, and Seas thors for the stereo in the family room. (consumer mid-fi and diy hifi respectively)
They sound more like the Thor's but a bit "warmer", almost as transparent in the midrange.
Considering that either of these speakers retailed for 2k + (Thors are probably more like 6k speakers).
It's a hell of a way to great sound, for not very much money.

Negatives: as with all full sized headphones they aren't very portable, and as with all open back headphones anyone that is in the same room will hear what you are listening to.

Gazmtk913
10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Check out astro gaming's A40's as you can choose the color and customize the graphics on the sides, mic or no mic it's your choice ;)