PDA

View Full Version : Overflow and Out of memory errors

Bhaal
01-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Hey all.

This is kinda bizzare: I'm getting Stack Overflow and Out of memory errors in IE6 and Avant 8 (2 browsers I use) when I open a page that has animated gifs. This has started happening in the last week and it really worries me.

Aren't stack overflows strange in WinXP?

Anyway, I've applied all the latest patches to both Windows and Explorer with no results. I've run every diagnostic util I can find, have Norton Utils installed, spyware galore, Zone Alarm 4, and have run memtest with no errors.

Can anyone shed light on Stack Overflows in IE and WinXP? (Microsoft sure doesn't seem to be able to...)

Thanks

_Bhaal

TheDude
02-07-2004, 05:52 AM
There is an app. probably a utility of some kind causing this I bet. I would try killing each app one at a time to try to find the right one and uninstall it. If that doesn't work....I know you don't want to reformat, but it's the only option left. Check each app and utility after you reformat to see which one is the cause and either look for a patch or way to correct it or don't install it.
Hope that is of some help.

Sorry it took so long for a reply...didn't see this for some reason?

Bhaal
02-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey Dude,

Thanks for the reply. In hindsight, I believe the offending app was Zone Alarm; the only thing I could discover was that it might have been a recent 'update' to Zone Alarm I installed.

But, yeah, I ended up reformatting. I took advantage of the opportunity to create some partitions, so it ended up a positive thing.

Thanks again for the advice.

_Bhaal

TheDude
02-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Cool....glad you got it sorted. :D