PDA

View Full Version : CPU+NB or +GPU

skate2snow
01-02-2004, 08:13 PM
hey

should i buy some waterblobk for my CPU+NB or CPU+GPU???? I gonna use a waterchiller that the water is supposed to hit -15(at least).

Note that my NB is very very hot(105F i think). And my 9600PRO is at 515/365, stock@400/300.

And what setup is better for upgrade?? Im buying a next gen in not so long.

**EDIT** And whats the block you recommend for the two, not over 120$????

BoomStick
01-02-2004, 08:59 PM
CPU+GPU.

Get a good active cooler for your NB and you will be fine. Maybe the new Swiftech chipset cooler for starters.

You can get a CPU+GPU cooler for under $120 without a problem...prob less than $90 for both. Swiftech CPU block is under $60 I think and the vid card block should be $30-40 if not mistaken.

skate2snow
01-02-2004, 09:09 PM
which one should i take?? blocks i whant to meen

BoomStick
01-02-2004, 10:44 PM
I am a Swiftech man myself, but people swear by WhiteWater as well.

For your targeted budget, if your NB has just the stock passive cooler (hsink with no fan) see if you can mount a 40mm fan on it.

You can order the newest block from Swiftech's site (www.swiftnets.com) for around $53 bucks on the cpu side, and the gpu block for $39. Although I prefer to actually hard mount my water blocks with screws and bolts thru the board versus using the socket tabs as you will prob get better contact and pressure using bolts. Thus since all the newer water blocks for AMD use the tabs to mount with, I would track down an older block so you can mount using screws and bolts....maybe the MCW462-UH for example. Try 2CoolTek.com for a great deal on a very very good water block. They had them on sale for $30 man,,,and you cant beat that with a stick. That means you can get cpu and gpu blocks for under $70 and thats a great savings.

That would allow you to buy a very good chipset cooler as well and still be under $120. If you want a real good active chipset cooler, think about the MCX159-A from Swiftech....its awesome.

I see you are from Canada..so look for sites over there so you can avoid the extra shipping. But even still, with the shipping included its prob cheaper to get teh cpu bloock from 2CoolTek.com since its such a good deal.

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 02:31 PM
The WhiteWater owns anything from Swiftech, except the TEC blocks. Get a Maze 4 GPU for your video card. However, the WW seems to be above your budget, assuming you're talking Canadian dollars. http://www.criticool.com/1waterblocks.html the Evolution blocks are next to the RBX, which is approximately equivalent to the WW (Further testing needs to be done) It's only $47 Canadian, and it's from a Canadian store... These guys also sell GPU blocks.

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 02:38 PM
umm...i was whant to meen 100$US and like 130$can

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 02:40 PM
For 1 degree at 100W, I don't think the extra ~20 dollars plus shipping would be worth it.

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 03:03 PM
so im better to buy the RBX???

NOTE: I dont command by shipping, i have a vendor

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Umm... Perhaps I wasn't being clear. The RBX is $53 USD. The WW is $50 USD. The Silverprop Cyclone Evolutions, from the place that I posted, costs $47 CAD. The Cyclone is worse than both of them by 1 degree celcius at 100W load. I would advise to get the Cyclone, and a Maze 4 GPU block, from the place I showed you ( www.criticool.com )

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 03:19 PM
i dont care for 6$ more. and i whant to have the best heat conducter for my chiller work to the maximum. My freezer minimum temp is -18 so i think i can get my CPU@-5 but i whould love to conduct the more possible the freeze water

Stang_Man
01-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Cascade + MCW50-T :)

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Cascade isn't even available at the moment. Besides, it's 80 dollars American. I don't think he wants to do TEC at the moment. skate2snow: The RBX is 53 AMERICAN dollars. The Cyclone is 47 CANADIAN dollars. Huge price difference. The temperature difference between the two would be around 0degrees. The difference is lessened if you have a poor pump.

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 04:06 PM
i will have a Hydro L30(350GPH). 1/2 tubes and chiller at -18C. 6$ is not a huge difference.

stang: i cant afford those and i dont think its really neccesare to have a TEC right now coze if it dont fit on next gen, im dead...LOL. And i dont know much things on cascade.

BTW: angry, Cascade is available. Ive seen at least 10 people that have some

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 04:32 PM
53 USD is 68 Canadian dollars. The Cyclone is 47 Canadian dollars. The difference in performance is probably negligible. The Cascade WAS available, but it IS NOT available at the moment. There was a waiting list, and Cathar is busy so it stopped.

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 04:36 PM
i still taking the RBX ive heard good critics on it and i can afford it, and if the cyclone is not as good i will pay 50$CDN for sh-it

afireinside
01-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Can you guys not read? He is gona use chilled water. The plastic Y spliters with the white water will probley break at those temps. Even if they wouldent I wouldent feel safe.

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 04:38 PM
1 degree Celcius at 100 watts load! If your water is chilled it probably won't matter at all! You apparently don't want to spend a lot, so just go with the Cyclone. Whatever, though. I'm tired of trying to convince people to do the intelligent thing, when it apparently isn't possible for them to do so.

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by afireinside
Can you guys not read? He is gona use chilled water. The plastic Y spliters with the white water will probley break at those temps. Even if they wouldent I wouldent feel safe. are you sure it will broke?????? some people are using it for chiller(dont know who but probably...LOL). If your sure. which one should i???

Craig
01-03-2004, 04:51 PM
My Cascade alone was a bit over $100 USD by it's self. So while it's performance is second to none, it's cost tends to rule it out.

For your CPU block. I'd avoid the ones with aluminum tops, you don't need the corrosion risk. Addatives to stop corrosion also degrade your coolant at the same time. The RBX & White Water (plexi topped version) will be worth the extra cost for the peace of mind. There is also a Copper topped version of the Silverprop block as well.

I would however suggest the Silverprop Fusion to you for the GPU over the others mentioned here. While more expensive, it's micro fin design should offer better performance than the others mentioned. And with your vid cards good performance on air, a water block with chilled water will boost it even more. And the Fusion has no aluminum in it's construction.

You can also make some very nice RAM sinks at no cost if you've got a couple old CPU finned sinks around.

The NB will do just fine with a Swiftech or Microcool heat sink. Note that the Micro cool comes with a assortment of small sinks for mosfets & voltage reg. as well as the main cooler for the NB. These are the best two forced air NB heat sinks made.

And by not making use of a NB waterblock you maintain a slightly higher flow for the CPU & GPU where it's needed most.

biglipzit
01-03-2004, 04:53 PM
yeh the RBX has a plastic y splitter also. Your best choice would be a copper top maze 3 or a silverprob cyclone with brass barbs but get somehting with a copper top. The RBX isnt good because it has a plexi glass accelerator and plexi can crack at those temps so u need a all copper block like a maze 3. Dude your waterchilling so u wont see a difference between a maze 1, 2, 3 or WW so just go with a maze 3 its what alot of people using waterchillers go for because its a damn good direct die cooling block and can outperform the maze 4 most of the time.

Craig
01-03-2004, 04:55 PM
[i] The temperature difference between the two would be around 0 degrees. The difference is lessened if you have a poor pump. [/B]

?????????????????:stick:

skate2snow
01-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Craig
You can also make some very nice RAM sinks at no cost if you've got a couple old CPU finned sinks around. look...LOL

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Most people's processors run around 75 watts. That's a 0.75 degree difference, in Celcius, between the two blocks. A poor pump would favour the Cyclone... I'm not an idiot (Although it may seem that I am, at times), and I know what I'm talking about.

Craig
01-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Good points regarding the plexi tops and plastic Y's + -c temps.

biglipzit has it right, Maze 3 or all copper Silverprop.

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Silverprop Cyclone Evolution. Make sure it's a Cyclone Evolution.

Craig
01-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by AngryAlpaca
Most people's processors run around 75 watts. That's a 0.75 degree difference, in Celcius, between the two blocks. A poor pump would favour the Cyclone... I'm not an idiot (Although it may seem that I am, at times), and I know what I'm talking about.

Chill out man.

I found the way you stated the fact that the differance is very minor humorous. You'd already posted regarding a 1c differance.

But if there was 0 temp differance then the pump used really wouldn't matter to much now would it?

Peace.:toast:

AngryAlpaca
01-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah. That was a pretty bad mistake. Sorry 'bout that.