PDA

View Full Version : Bit of help with a first WC setup please

Noodle99
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi all. Ive spent ages surfing through forums and I think I have my setup sorted, but still have a question regarding pumps.

What Im cooling is an i7 980x with overclock and 4 x 480gtx in sli.

I thought to go with a dual loop system to keep the cpu cool. Plan was for a 3x120mm rad for this, but using the thinner black ice gts radiator as it will fit nicely (internally) at the top of my case. Thinner but if its only cooling the CPU I presume will be fine??

My main question was in regards to the GPU loop. I plan on 4x koolance waterblocks and 2 x 140.3 black ice gtx radiators. Was going to go rad > 2 gpus > rad > 2 gpus to keep cool. Now what sort of pump will be able to run this loop, I presume it will be quite restrictive. Do I go for 2 Laing 3.2s or something like the eihm red pumps on frozencpu?

Would appreciate any input.

Aedubber
08-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I would run just a 140.2 for the CPU , its a 6core CPU which runs cooler off the bat as well..4 cards huh lol wow, i would run 1 quad rad for those cards, and i think the EK-DCP 4.0 12v DC Pump would be able to help you out on that. What kind of power supply are you running anyways?

trn
08-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I think your plan is good, I would keep my loop order simple and direct if it was my build. For the pump a dual top DDC would be good, Iwaki RD30 would be better, but overkill and more complicated to deal with. I would go, Dual DDC > CPU > GPU's all 4 in serial > 140.3 > 140.3 > res. Flowrate should be good enough with the dual DDC's that you shouldn't need to do more complicated things such as 2 gpu's, 1 rad, then back to gpus. Keep the loop as direct as possible and avoid 90 degree fittings or strange bends and you should be good IMO.

Noodle99
08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I think your plan is good, I would keep my loop order simple and direct if it was my build. For the pump a dual top DDC would be good, Iwaki RD30 would be better, but overkill and more complicated to deal with. I would go, Dual DDC > CPU > GPU's all 4 in serial > 140.3 > 140.3 > res. Flowrate should be good enough with the dual DDC's that you shouldn't need to do more complicated things such as 2 gpu's, 1 rad, then back to gpus. Keep the loop as direct as possible and avoid 90 degree fittings or strange bends and you should be good IMO.

I was thinking that it may be a bad idea to run as a single loop though. 4 x 480s is quite a lot of heat and I thought I may end up with a lot of extra heat at my cpu which is going to have a reasonable overclock. Thoughts?

Aedubber
08-20-2010, 03:45 PM
You would be crazy to run everything in 1 loop .. The i7
CPUs run hot plus and Oc then 4 480s oced as well .. Run 2 loops just like I mentioned before .. It's all about running your loops as simple as possible , good rads with proper fans depending on fin count on the rad .. You could use a mcp355 for CPU and a mcp655 for your gpus or maybe a little
more powerful pump ..