PDA

View Full Version : DVD Backup

BrokenWall
08-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I friend of my is living with us and he would like to backup his DVD Collection of 100+ DVDs so we can have them all on the Media Center without going though the whole cabinet to find the movie and play it on the PS2.

I can rip the movies to ISO or just the Video_TS directory using DVDDecryter but when it comes to encoding I have tried multiple ways and can't find a good method to do so with reasonable quality output.

ISOs are great, they play in XMBC and look great but I don't have the storage for 100+ 6-8GB iso files on my computer.

I have tried Handbrake and encoded them in MPEG4 as well as H264 and the file sizes go from small and look great in up close shots but suck for action. to being extremely large (5GB+) and look great almost all the time. I tried keeping the original resolution as well as doing them at 624px wide and keeping the aspect ratio.

I would like to ask you guys what would be the best option. When I get back on my feet I would like to build a proper media server were I can keep all the DVD ISOs available but that is here in the future.

Nanometer
08-14-2010, 12:51 AM
I've used a program for years called DVD Decrypter. Not entirely sure if that will do what you want, though it's a simple program and very effective.