PDA

View Full Version : Hey Eddy, Please Respond Asap!

Utnorris
08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
So I have three GTX470's and I have the EK water blocks for them. I got two from one retailer and one from a different retailer. The instructions are dated the same however they are different. Both instruct you to install a metal bracket around the GPU, but one states to use the included paper washer while the other one does not mention it or include the paper washer. So my question Eddy, which is correct?

Here are some pictures of the instructions included with both:

http://a.imageshack.us/img819/3209/dsc00086wx.th.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/dsc00086wx.jpg/)

http://a.imageshack.us/img837/592/dsc00085q.th.jpg (http://img837.imageshack.us/i/dsc00085q.jpg/)

They are dated the same, lower right hand corner, but you can see that one shows the paper washer and one does not. Which is it and if I need the paper washer can I use something else such as paper washers for screws? By the way, I installed the one with out the paper washer using paper washers for screws, will that work?

stangracin3
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
iirc you put the paper washer between the card and the metal bracket

i think the bracket had been shorting cards out

Utnorris
08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Which is why I do not understand why one came with it and one did not. I did put some paper washers in between the metal bracket and the PCB, but it isn't a full cover one like they include.

stangracin3
08-11-2010, 09:17 PM
they probably realized the problem and packaged them at different times

i.e.
2 in the morning without it and one in the afternoon

Hu1kamania
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I got my 470 blocks from EK earlier this week and they each came with a washer. I think stangracin3 is correct in that you need the washer to prevent shorting.

0xdeadbeef
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Eddy posted this about the PVC washer a few months ago:

All Resellers and distributors have those washers now awailable.
And these blocks 470 and 480 blocks are shipped from EK with GPU reinforcer washer since April 27th.
If you don't get it with the delivery, just do not use GPU reinforcer metal plate or ask for the washer at seller or EK support.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4393503&postcount=3

Tackleberry
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Yp. Washers were included later as users on various forums reported artifacts. And manuals posted on web sites should always be up to date IMO.

Eddy_EK
08-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Hi,

To get respond asap, please contact our support, I may not be here every day ;)

Captain_Harlock
08-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Wouldnt some heavy construction paper or a bit of manilla folder cut to the same shape get the job done?

rioja
08-12-2010, 02:01 AM
gtx480 manual has error also btw

Utnorris
08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Hi,

To get respond asap, please contact our support, I may not be here every day ;)

Quite honestly Eddy, I was hoping for a faster solution than waiting on the support site to get back with me within 24 hours since I am trying to finish this asap for Quake Con meaning this morning/today. Since I posted it here instead I have gotten some great responses and suggestions very quickly.

I am curious if the manila folder or construction paper would work. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Tackleberry
08-12-2010, 05:02 AM
The included washer is made of thin paper ( klingerit) anyway, so I guess you will be safe with manila folder.

Captain_Harlock
08-12-2010, 05:17 AM
The spacer (if I understand the instructions correctly) will never come into contact with any liquid so there is no reason it shouldnt get the job done. Besides, your specific card may not have the problem that others had with contact shorts. Heck, you might be able to find a nylon washer that would fit at the local home store or hardware store. One in each corner should do it. Good luck and enjoy Quake Con. Take lots of pics for us.

Utnorris
08-12-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks. Yeah I am currently using paper washers for screws around each screw mount and an additional 4 used in between the screw mounts in the open space, essentially it should create a space between the metal washer and PCB.

Utnorris
08-12-2010, 05:23 AM
So a quick update. I emailed PerfomancePC about 20 minutes ago and they have already responded letting me know they are shipping the washer today. Hopefully my solution will work in the meantime. I would like to also say thanks to PerformancePC for responding so quickly.

cx-ray
08-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Quite honestly Eddy, I was hoping for a faster solution than waiting on the support site to get back with me within 24 hours since I am trying to finish this asap for Quake Con meaning this morning/today. Since I posted it here instead I have gotten some great responses and suggestions very quickly.

I am curious if the manila folder or construction paper would work. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks.

In addition to email support (I get a reply with-in 20 min during EU business hours), you can check the news items on their main page. The issue is clearly stated there.

Utnorris
08-12-2010, 08:08 AM
In addition to email support (I get a reply with-in 20 min during EU business hours), you can check the news items on their main page. The issue is clearly stated there.

Actually, it's on the second page. Also, look when I posted this thread, I assumed they were not up yet and I don't know the time conversions. Quite honestly, the biggest reason I posted this was so people knew the blocks were still out there without the washer. They started shipping them back in April, 5 months ago and yet I still got one without the washer, which means there is still old stock out there. This should be a red flag for the retailers to check their stock and for Eddy to contact the retailers to make sure they do just that.

Just for the record, I submitted a ticket 3 hours ago and still have not gotten an email from EK. I came on here hoping to get a quick solution, not negative comments. If you have nothing to contribute, go away.

TilaTech
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Actually, it's on the second page. Also, look when I posted this thread, I assumed they were not up yet and I don't know the time conversions. Quite honestly, the biggest reason I posted this was so people knew the blocks were still out there without the washer. They started shipping them back in April, 5 months ago and yet I still got one without the washer, which means there is still old stock out there. This should be a red flag for the retailers to check their stock and for Eddy to contact the retailers to make sure they do just that.

Just for the record, I submitted a ticket 3 hours ago and still have not gotten an email from EK. I came on here hoping to get a quick solution, not negative comments. If you have nothing to contribute, go away.

Just giving you a heads up that EK does contact retailers about updates like this. We receive various updates about blocks on a regular basis and when there is an error or a major revision, the parts are mailed out directly to the retailer. We still have the email about the washers and it was stated that newer shipments will have it included, but EK would send the washers out to retailers with the older cards if needed. It was PPC's job to include the washers with the block. Regardless glad it worked out for you because they perform and look fantastic. :up:

-TilaTech
Attila S.

cx-ray
08-12-2010, 05:00 PM

The only one to blame is your retailer. They should have been aware of the issue for over 3 months. Sorry for not typing a long-winded story for the sake of your entertainment on this forum. Instead, I pointed out where you could get an immediate answer to your initial question.

Utnorris
08-12-2010, 08:37 PM
The only one to blame is your retailer. They should have been aware of the issue for over 3 months. Sorry for not typing a long-winded story for the sake of your entertainment on this forum. Instead, I pointed out where you could get an immediate answer to your initial question.

While the retailer may be at fault in this case, again, I posted at a little after midnight, so getting in touch with either the retailer or EK was probably not going to happen. I was hoping for a quick solution and explanation. Reread your post and you will see you come off as not being helpful, but the opposite. I was looking for entertainment out of any ones post, just some help. Since I already had the answer and a few suggestions by the time you decided to post, your post was not necessary. As you can see a few posts above yours, someone already pointed out the EK response to this issue, so your post was more of a "Hey retard, it's on their front page." type post. I didn't need that, didn't wan that, so as far as I am concern you are just trolling and not helping. You don't like that, tough, post somewhere else.