PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Burning Softwar???? Please

kokoro_kara
01-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Hey guys,

Just got a DVD burner! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I was wondering what luck you have all had with different software. I've heard Nero is the best, any other thoughts?

FYI its a sony DRU-510A

Can't wait to Burn Baby!!!:toast: :toast:

Karnivore
01-02-2004, 02:37 AM
I won't use Nero for DVD's, various reasons, but mostly because until just recently it wouldn't burn properly formatted Video DVD's. My preference, and it never fails is prassi primo DVD, can be hard to find though. And If I couldn't find that Record Now Max, pretty much same program but more modern GUI.

kokoro_kara
01-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks Karnivore,

I have heard others say the same thing about Nero. Thanks for you input, it is much appreciated

K :cheers:

mdzcpa
01-02-2004, 08:41 PM
For copying DVDs (back ups of course);)

DVD X Copy Express!

It's simply the best...period.

DVD X Copy Platinum has more bells and whistles, but I find them mostly useless. Get Express and never look back.

For general DVD burnig Record Now is great.

BTW, I also have the Sony DRU-510A. Hasn't burned a coaster yet:toast:

Tedinde
01-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by mdzcpa
For copying DVDs (back ups of course);)

DVD X Copy Express!

It's simply the best...period.

DVD X Copy Platinum has more bells and whistles, but I find them mostly useless. Get Express and never look back.

For general DVD burnig Record Now is great.

BTW, I also have the Sony DRU-510A. Hasn't burned a coaster yet:toast:

It's ok, I paid for Xcopy and express. And used it since they first came out. It was real crap at first!!!

DVD shrink is my software of choice, plus it's free and fast, and decrypts and encodes fast.

Built 2 nice dvd burning rigs for a customer. All he does is sell bootlegs. DVD screeners. I know he's making over a grand per week on the side of his job. The guy knew nothing about computers till 6 months ago when i built him his first.

Free http://www.dvdshrink.org/#

He Uses only Be-all -r 4x media disk, He hasnt had one disk come back in the last 500 since he switched. 89cents per 100 disks. Guaranteed to play in everything. Meritline.com has them.

Of course i only use it for backup copy's of my own DVD's.

I love the NEC 1300a's under $100 for 4x burning love!!!!

mdzcpa
01-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Tedinde
It's ok, I paid for Xcopy and express. And used it since they first came out. It was real crap at first!!!

Really? Hmmmm...I suppose everyone's experiences do vary. I've yet to encounter a single problem. It has to be well over 150 burns by now too (yes, i know, i have a large dvd collection that needs backing up;) ).

So I dunno...do a google search on DVD X Copy and see what folks say.

EDIT- Tedinde is correct. It seems most avid users like shrink better, where those who like just a one button approach like Express. Shrink is able to read more formats and gives you more choices it seems.

I'm gonna try it! Thanks Tedinde:)

kokoro_kara
01-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys,

The express looks good and I have heard good reports elsewhere.

The shrink is free, but possible downsides? are that you have to place the dvd on your Hard drive and you have to other software to still burn with.... That's what I got from the sight... or am I missing something.

So what about the quality of the backup. Do you get the menu's and everything? With backing up I would really like to know I have the original quality.

Just curious and thanks again. I'm already on the right track thanks to you both!

:toast:

mdzcpa
01-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Please see my edit above:)

Shrink seems like a great app for ripping. Than you can just use Nero (or any other good burning app) for the burn.

Express still makes a fine "one button" choice for those who don't want/need the options.

sjohnson
01-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Another vote for dvdshrink. The price is right and here's a guide to using it: http://users.auth.gr/~ichatzim/shrink.htm

Karnivore
01-02-2004, 10:07 PM
hehe, wouldn't use none of that stuff for Video DVD's;)

sjohnson
01-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Karnivore - appreciate your opinion.

Could you take some time to tell why prassi primo is your choice?

NP here with dvdshrink but I don't like the suspense your opinion generates :)

Karnivore
01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
Karnivore - appreciate your opinion.

Could you take some time to tell why prassi primo is your choice?

NP here with dvdshrink but I don't like the suspense your opinion generates :)

Prassi is like an old friend that hasn't failed me, Started using it when I got my first Pioneer 1x burner, no need to update it, burns anything with no problems. I believe Record Now is from the same author, works about as well, but I'm used to Prassi, and since it still does the job just no need for anything else.

As for DVDX, Shrink, DVD2ONE, etc, there is a lot of loss in Video Quality, especially noticeable on something like LOTR, or other large DVD9 movies. They do the job but at a cost. Not really the place to discuss details, as it goes against forum rules. If you get on one of the more popular forums that cater to videophiles it’s pretty easy to figure out.

Most of these programs are passable to the average person; bottom line is if you’re happy with the results and it works for you then you’re doing well. If you want to delve deeper into quality results it is readily available.

kokoro_kara
01-02-2004, 11:09 PM
:explode: <---- Me now after reading all these posts :)

Gosh I love this forum. Be careful what you ask for cause the pool is deep in these here parts! LOL:D

Hmmm, I do love my LOTR but then again I sure love my point and click operations..... HMmmmmmmmm?

Choices choices choices!

Thanks again, it is helping and definitely helping narrowing the field down which is why I asked :toast:

sjohnson
01-02-2004, 11:45 PM
'K, thanks Karnivore!

Tedinde
01-03-2004, 06:26 PM
It used to be hell before dvd xcopy and dvdshrink and the newer software!!!

It's nice now. DVDShrink and nero, and BeALL 4x -r media from meritline.

Havnt had a problem playing in any DVD player now.

menu's and everything are there. easy taking out stuff you dont want. and reencoding.

I havnt used and new DVD xCopy's or Express, Even though i paid for it and Pinnacle's instant copy. Yes i did actually buy stuff that i tried first that is decent.

I figure you gotta support the DVD ripping/backup companies.

I even looked for a link in dvd shrinks website to donate to the freeware, but couldnt find anything or them even asking for $$ Strange.

I'd hit them off with $50 from paypal right now. I must have 200 backup copys of my collection of course.