PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Kinect site

Darren1981
08-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Hey guys,

Ive started a new forum, it's dedicated to the upcoming Xbox Kinect product, the site it's self is community based and is basically a place for people interested in the Xbox Kinect (http://kinectforums.net) to learn more about it and for related discussions, feel free to come and say hello.

I know people think that products like this are aimed at kids, but i think with the power of the Xbox 36 graphics it can appeal to kids and adults, anyways as a long time member here at XS i thought i would just give my site a quick plug (hope that is ok).

Anyone here be buying this addon for the Xbox 360 ?

ScottALot
08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure... the new generation of game consoles seems to be lurking around the corner, so I think this is a big investment to be jumping on if it's going to be outdated in a matter of months.

zanzabar
08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
i have used the kinect and it is bad, sure i only used the kick ball breakout thing but its just like eyetoy as i said before i used it, it also lags and they downgraded the cameras for the retail units so i doubt it will be usefull, then at 5 feet there was no room for 2 player. the only way i think that u will get anyways with a camera is with move as it has buttons.

Starscream
08-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure... the new generation of game consoles seems to be lurking around the corner, so I think this is a big investment to be jumping on if it's going to be outdated in a matter of months.

Doubtfull tbh.

i have used the kinect and it is bad, sure i only used the kick ball breakout thing but its just like eyetoy as i said before i used it, it also lags and they downgraded the cameras for the retail units so i doubt it will be usefull, then at 5 feet there was no room for 2 player. the only way i think that u will get anyways with a camera is with move as it has buttons.

I agree on Move.
Even if it only is a Wii rip off it has better chances of working properly then Kinect has.
The first time i saw a Kinect demo i already had huge doubts about it.
It sounds great but i dont think its possible to make it work and also keep the cost of the unit low.

MrMojoZ
08-16-2010, 06:32 AM

Considering you were complaining about Kinect before you claimed to use it, your opinion of the demo isn't worth much. You had your mind made up before you went near it.

zanzabar
08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Considering you were complaining about Kinect before you claimed to use it, your opinion of the demo isn't worth much. You had your mind made up before you went near it.

what do i stand to gain by saying something that would be wrong or minimum easily disproved in a few weeks, and if u look they have been demoing kinect at malls across the US, they had them up for 2 weeks going through the bay area.

also just think of it, there are no buttons, can u think of any real activity that u do with no buttons, switches, leavers, ext, that u would want to do in a game. that leaves some sports, but it takes away racing (accurate), shooting, rpg (for the most part,) action adventure.

Starscream
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
what do i stand to gain by saying something that would be wrong or minimum easily disproved in a few weeks, and if u look they have been demoing kinect at malls across the US, they had them up for 2 weeks going through the bay area.

also just think of it, there are no buttons, can u think of any real activity that u do with no buttons, switches, leavers, ext, that u would want to do in a game. that leaves some sports, but it takes away racing (accurate), shooting, rpg (for the most part,) action adventure.

:up: completely true.
hasnt it already been confirmed that it cant do half the stuff they promised.

Atm it looks like it will be an expensive toy for arcade games from the Xbox market.
At best there wil be some party games for it but seeing Kinect wil only spot big gestures/movements i doubt there are alot of options for games.

Or they have to make a co-op game where one player uses a pad and the other uses Kinect.

They already started making updates for Sony games to use Move.
I doubt they would invest so much money into this if it wont work.

1 Kinect set (camera + a game) is 150 euro.
1 Move set (camera + motion controller and starter disc) 50 euro.
Seems you also need a navigation controller wich costs 20 euro.
Seperate Motion controler is 30 euro.

so 1 camera and 2 Motion and 2 nav controllers is. 120 euro.

ps. not a fan of either but atm Move looks like the better deal.

ferrari_freak
08-24-2010, 02:59 AM

They haven't even announced the next gen consoles yet, Halo Reach is coming out next month, GoW 3 is coming out next year... Both of those games are going to be given their fair share of time in the limelight so I wouldn't say the next gen is "right around the corner." There's still 2+ years left and even then I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon right away and would rather wait for the first price drop and some games to come out. So in all, there's still lots of time left to enjoy your 360. :yepp:

zanzabar
08-24-2010, 09:31 PM
on the next gen, i bet that once tsmc samples chips there will be protypes and pre-dev units for the xbox and ps4, im just hoping that they all put proper amounts of ram in the consoles or make it interchangeable so we arnt stuck like right now were the pc has to have completely different stuff since the last gen had no ram and has lived to long

Trembledust
09-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Yea @ demoing and the majority loved Kinect. Well far as I saw on vids and some articles I read. If you got some vids or links to where people gave negative reviews of Kinect when they were demoing it at the malls feel free to send a link. Thanks. Not being sarcastic btw.

Umm yea @ think of any real activity that doesn't require buttons...Dancing. Hence Dance Central. I still say that game is gonna be a big hit with the casuals.

Also you're forgetting that a controller maybe used in conjunction with Kinect so those genres you mentioned may not be taken away by using Kinect. Racing I kinda do agree may not be the best used only with Kinect but the upcoming Forza game is said to be Kinect compatable so we'll see how that goes.

And think about RTS games. Actually both Kinect and Move have a good shot of making RTS games a more viable genre on the consoles.

zanzabar
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
i have a bad taste about it from eye toy, and when u see something that plays just like something that u had before that was useless and unplayable then u wont took to good on it. people were there having fun and it was not bad but it did have a bit of lagg and as some1 who is in the "hard core" group i just dont see it as being somehting that i would ever use to play a game and it seams like the eye toy or wii were u dont get any real games for it just some gimmicky casual stuff or a real game but then it fails since the controls are to imprecise from the controls like the mile of steps back from changing to a controller from a kb/m for a shooter.

so to me it feels just like the eyetoy, atleast withe the demo and since i had one its not somehting that makes me want a natal if thats how its going to be

Trembledust
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
:up: completely true.
hasnt it already been confirmed that it cant do half the stuff they promised.

Atm it looks like it will be an expensive toy for arcade games from the Xbox market.
At best there wil be some party games for it but seeing Kinect wil only spot big gestures/movements i doubt there are alot of options for games.

Or they have to make a co-op game where one player uses a pad and the other uses Kinect.

They already started making updates for Sony games to use Move.
I doubt they would invest so much money into this if it wont work.

1 Kinect set (camera + a game) is 150 euro.
1 Move set (camera + motion controller and starter disc) 50 euro.
Seems you also need a navigation controller wich costs 20 euro.
Seperate Motion controler is 30 euro.

so 1 camera and 2 Motion and 2 nav controllers is. 120 euro.

ps. not a fan of either but atm Move looks like the better deal.

Could u post a link to the features that were confirm to have been removed from Kinect? So far I read the ability for the device to recognize sign language was removed and as such kinect won't be able to detect individual finger movements. Wat other features were removed? (not being sarcastic)

Move seems to be cheaper outside the US then in the US as I will show u below. I did some checking last time we discussed the Kinect vs Move topic and I found as a whole it is waaaaay more expensive to go with a full Move set up then it is to going Kinect.

Kinect

Standalone device=$150
Kinect Bundle (4gb xbox, kinect device, one controller)=$299

Move

Move controller=$50
Nav controller=$30
Eye Camera= $35
Move starter kit (move controller, eye camera, sports champions game)=$99
PS3 Move Bundle (250gb ps3, ps3 controller, move controller, eye camera, sports champions game)=$399

Since some Move games require the use of two Move controllers for one player or a Nav controller and Move controller for one player..cheapiest full Move experience for one player (assuming u already have a ps3 and buy the Move starter kit, extra Move controller and a Nav controller)=1$80

Not seeing why in co op games using kinect u would have to make one person use a pad and another use Kinect as Kinect can support 2 players simultaneously. If anything they'd make it so both players can use kinect and a pad. And also to address the comment u made about big gestures only being recognized would limit games. The use of the controller along with Kinect can open up the possibilities of more genres of games where using Kinect alone for now would not be ideal.

Both MS and Sony have invested alot of money into their respective peripherals so I don't think either company would have done so if either of their products didn't work. This is definately so in the case of Sony as a number of sites have posted reviews for Move. For the most part they have been good. Sites indicate Move works. Some sites indicated some problems but overall they liked it. Gotta wait a bit to see if any Kinect review pop up soon.

Its funny one review in particular tried out RUSE with Move and indicated if you already have a ps3 controller you really don't need Move to play the game. Well that kinda soured my Move and Kinect could improve the RTS market for consoles prediction lol.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/playstation-move-review/

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/gaming-accessories/sony-playstation-move-713638/review?artc_pg=1

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/playstation-move-review/

Trembledust
09-06-2010, 09:46 PM
i have a bad taste about it from eye toy, and when u see something that plays just like something that u had before that was useless and unplayable then u wont took to good on it. people were there having fun and it was not bad but it did have a bit of lagg and as some1 who is in the "hard core" group i just dont see it as being somehting that i would ever use to play a game and it seams like the eye toy or wii were u dont get any real games for it just some gimmicky casual stuff or a real game but then it fails since the controls are to imprecise from the controls like the mile of steps back from changing to a controller from a kb/m for a shooter.

so to me it feels just like the eyetoy, atleast withe the demo and since i had one its not somehting that makes me want a natal if thats how its going to be

Oh don't get me wrong...I definately don't see Kinect or Move appealing to alot of hard core gamers if any.

You basically hit it right on the head with your controller vs. KB&M statement. Just as some console gamers...for the most part...would not notice how much accuracy they are giving up by using controllers vs KB&M, casual gamers won't notice lag and some other flaws, unless its extremely extremely obvious, when using Kinect or Move like a hard core gamer would.

Bottom line if you aren't used to a certain thing you won't miss it until someone comes along and shows u what u have been missing. This is / will be the case with casual gamers using Kinect and Move. They are gonna be happy as a pig in freshly wet mud just seeing that you move your body or wave a controller and your on screen char responds. Case in point. The Wii.

Now in regards to Kinect...my thing is I give MS credit for the fact that Kinect is not just a new controller for gaming but interfacing with entertainment built into the system. That's actually the main reason I seem to favor Kinect over Move. That ability to use your hands and voice to interact with the dashboard peeked my interest, and i'm not alone. Now is my curiosity worth $150...eh....dunno. I mean truth be told I have spent more then $150 on different occassions to satisfy my curiosity about tech. Hell I once bought a N64 just to play one game and never touched that system again.