PDA

View Full Version : Chilled water (56K beware)

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I finally got my water chiller up and working
here are some pics

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 04:29 PM
my res is only alittle less then half full because i a leck in it that i'm fixing

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 04:32 PM
my sys composes of a
1/6 HP R12 compressor taken from my old frige
running R22
Condensor taken from same frige
Res mini iglo playmate
50-50 antifreeze and water mix

hi-side 150
low side about 5 in hg

i will post temps when i fill my res

afireinside
01-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Looks nice but isint it a bit large and messy?

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 04:56 PM
right now its alittle messy but i'm making a box for it so it could put it under my computer
if u look at my rig its in a box so i just need to do some work and hopfully i will be chilling my rig soon

Also i think my antifreeze isn't keeping up w/ the cold what should i replace it with

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by water_cooler 20
right now its alittle messy but i'm making a box for it so it could put it under my computer
if u look at my rig its in a box so i just need to do some work and hopfully i will be chilling my rig soon

Also i think my antifreeze isn't keeping up w/ the cold what should i replace it with Wow!! That thing works?Grats man you got some frost!:D
You got a bit of work to do yet. I wouldn't rush it. I agree It looks like something you hacked together. First, I wouldn't try to patch the leaks. I would replace the res without any holes in the bottom this time.I'm assuming you put the holes in there for the pump can't really tell from the pictures.Patching the holes just sets you up for more leaks later and it's just as easy to replace and do it right. Keep all holes above your coolant level. Get your condensor off the floor so you can get some airflow.I'll let Gary or someone else critique the the finer points as I know very little about it. I do have experience with coolant and have tried several combinations of water, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid,and methanol, I have found that methanol and antifreeze about a 50/50 mix works best for me.

afireinside
01-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I use windshield wiper fluid I got 6 gallons for like 6 bucks. Works down to -20F... I lost alot in a spill and evaporation...

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 07:56 PM
I think my water was close to -40C for a few min but then i want to the bathroom than came back and bang i had a res filled with a block of ice
so a 25%methanol 25%antifreeze 50%water mix would fix my ice problem

afireinside
01-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Wow nice chiller you got there than :D

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by afireinside
Wow nice chiller you got there than :D

That what said when i saw that block of ice

But I have to thank Gary for helping me size my cap tube

My 1st cap was 6ft of .026 and my waterchiller would barly get to -20C and it would take 5hr to do that
and now thanks to gary i'm using 5ft of .032 and now i can get to -40C in less than a half of a hr

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I think my water was close to -40C for a few min but then i want to the bathroom than came back and bang i had a res filled with a block of ice
so a 25%methanol 25%antifreeze 50%water mix would fix my ice problem NO it WONT! not @ -40 c lose the water! you dont need it and it freezes @ 0-c and those temps will slush your antifreeze Sooo, try 50/50 mix of methanol and antifreeze no water and see what happens.

GeekGoddess
01-01-2004, 08:28 PM
:eek: ...ummm..congrats on the frostiness inside your res...good job on getting it going. :) Couple of observations on my part though,,the fans look like they are facing the wrong way, they need to blow through the condensor to help dissipate the heat so that it can turn back into a liquid. I agree with JamalJaco that you need to get your condensor some better airflow. Perhaps some dif pix would show us more detail of how you have it set up.
Also,,,what kind of temps are you getting? If you want to get it colder, you really need to lose the water in your coolant mix, it will only freeze and make it slushy, thus making your pump work harder( which will also generate more heat into your system, which you dont want). If its slushy, it wont pull the heat away from your cpu as well (im sure you already know this stuff ;)) Anyway, try a really good antifreeze which can take those really low temps, get rid of the water, and try adding like a good winter windshield wiper fluid. Good Luck and keep posting those pix. Can't wait to see it all finished and going!
:toast:

iboomalot
01-01-2004, 08:30 PM
antifreeze sucks its thick and has bad heat transfer.

There is alot of info supporting this.

get the WW fluid and add in some more methanol 50/50 mix water and Methanol should solve your problem.

http://speakeasy.net/~language/images/graph-freezingpointcomparison.gif

thats one chart to see more info goto this link very nice thread

http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39039

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 08:50 PM
I have my fan so they suck the air out of the condensor

but if u guys think i will get better temps when the fans are blowing I will make them blow

does anyone know were i can get Methanol
also what safety precautions should i take when working with
Methanol

iboomalot
01-01-2004, 08:57 PM
make sure your res. is sealed up tight, and its a form of alcohol so shouldn't be too dangerous. Its what they put in WW fluid to help clean and keep the WW fluid from freezing in your car.

handling it shold be fine just don't inhale it too much unless you like that kind of thing

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 09:05 PM
i just looked at dabit's website and it says

If you consider using methanol in your own system:
YES! It is toxic.
YES! It CAN and WILL kill or at least harm you when not handled carefully.
YES! Pure methanol is extremely flammable, and burns with an invisible flame.
NEVER! work with the liquid without proper precautions.
:

methanol is a very toxic substance which can cause blindness and death. Because methanol molecules are very small, the liquid will diffuse right through the skin when you spill it over your fingers. Looks like a no-go? Well, further research showed that the MAC (Maximal Allowable Concentration) values for methanol in air and methanol per kg of body mass are quite high. Normal precautions such as working in a well ventilated area, using latex gloves and protective eyewear when working with the liquid are sufficient to keep you out of the danger zone.

i guess i will have to be very careful w/ this stuff

do auto part shops carry methanol

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by iboomalot
make sure your res. is sealed up tight, and its a form of alcohol so shouldn't be too dangerous. Its what they put in WW fluid to help clean and keep the WW fluid from freezing in your car.

handling it shold be fine just don't inhale it too much unless you like that kind of thing Btw . See the skull and bones on the label, This stuff can kill you!Anyway you can find it in just about any paint department in any diy store.

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 09:10 PM
also while looking at dabit's site i noticed on his colant chart it shows that stright hydrogen proxide can go down to -47C
would thsi be a better choice since i know were i can get this and
its not that dangerous to my knowledge

u can see the charts at
http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/index.php
go to articles and click on "About secondary coolant"

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 09:35 PM
also while looking at dabit's site i noticed on his colant chart it shows that stright hydrogen proxide can go down to -47C
would thsi be a better choice since i know were i can get this and
its not that dangerous to my knowledge

u can see the charts at
http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/index.php
go to articles and click on "About secondary coolant" Realy ? where can you get hydrogen proxide? that isn't mixed with water?

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 09:50 PM
i was going to just go to wallgreens
i didn't know they mixed it w/ water
could i still use it

Ragnarok
01-01-2004, 09:54 PM
hydrogen peroxide as a coolant? now u gotta be crazy...

http://www.orcbs.msu.edu/newsletters/April2000/hazmatreport.htm

I'd go for denatured ethanol....

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 09:59 PM
i was going to just go to wallgreens
i didn't know they mixed it w/ water
could i still use it I wouldn't the stuff i have here @ home is only 3% the rest is water. I was just reading Dabits stuff also and I think I agree that 35/65 water/methanol is the best solution go to a home depot or something and get a couple cans of that methanol the S-L-X- stuff in the pic above but we still need some kind of anti corrosion inhibitor like in your anti freeze

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:05 PM
The problem with most windshield washer fluid is it doesn't have enough methanol usualy around 25 to 45 percent the rest is detergent and water if you mix your own you have more control over the ratio.Thus adjusting for your temps.

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Ragnarok
hydrogen peroxide as a coolant? now u gotta be crazy...

http://www.orcbs.msu.edu/newsletters/April2000/hazmatreport.htm

I'd go for denatured ethanol.... yea believe it or not look at the chartshttp://www.icecoldcomputing.com/index.php

runmc
01-01-2004, 10:12 PM
This is my methanol chiller. It's not being used at the moment. It's sitting in the garage collecting dust.

http://home.comcast.net/~rbmccall2000/wsb/media/78548/site1511.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rbmccall2000/wsb/media/78548/site1512.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rbmccall2000/wsb/media/78548/site1510.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rbmccall2000/wsb/media/78548/site1513.jpg

All the guy at phase change helped me with this.

Gary ,DaBit, bowman, Redwolf, and several others.

As I recall the resevoir holds 4-5 gallons of pure methanol.

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 10:12 PM
so i should go w/ a 40/60 mix since that freezes at -42C
also what do u do when u are handling methanol

also how hard is it to find ethanol

and runmc how did u seal your res

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Sexy rig! nice really nice,.

runmc
01-01-2004, 10:22 PM
The reservoir was soldered together. Then I sealed it with silicone on all the joints.
I insulated it with three layers of 3/4 inch foam.

I used pure denatured alcohol. It is highly flammable and when it burns, you can't see the flame. Never breath the fumes. It can blind you, for sure.

After I had my chiller up and running, I sealed the top as well as possible with Armaflex.

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:28 PM
so i should go w/ a 40/60 mix since that freezes at -42C
also what do u do when u are handling methanol

also how hard is it to find ethanol

and runmc how did u seal your res Well, I had a bunch of ethanol @ last nights new years celebration. You can get that at any local liquer store.
the methanol in the can I posted earlier can be found where ever paint suplies are sold.

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:31 PM
yea ,Methanol , were latex gloves, gogles,don't drink it and don't smoke.

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 10:31 PM
if i got some plexi glass and made a res from that and sealed it w/ slicone would that keep the fumes of the methanol enclosed
also when i fill my res should i do it outside

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:36 PM
if i got some plexi glass and made a res from that and sealed it w/ slicone would that keep the fumes of the methanol enclosed
also when i fill my res should i do it outside ok< things to consider will your sealant hold up to the temp and the methanol? How much trouble to insilate it?way to much trouble just get another small cooler do all your plumbing from the top.

Gary Lloyd
01-01-2004, 10:43 PM
...ummm..congrats on the frostiness inside your res...good job on getting it going. Couple of observations on my part though,,the fans look like they are facing the wrong way, they need to blow through the condensor to help dissipate the heat so that it can turn back into a liquid.

Actually, airflow through a condenser can be either push through or pull through. Pull through is slightly more efficient, thus most condensers are designed for pull through.

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:43 PM
also when i fill my res should i do it outside Did you see my res in the chiller/ac unit sticky try something like that your evap coil can be molded to fit a different container if need be.

I filled my res in the house. just make sure your not around any open flame. If the fumes get to heavy just open a window and leave the room ,its really not that bad just use some common sense

water_cooler 20
01-01-2004, 10:47 PM
would i have to make the res air tight

GeekGoddess
01-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
Actually, airflow through a condenser can be either push through or pull through. Pull through is slightly more efficient, thus most condensers are designed for pull through.

Ok, thanks for the correction Gary. :) But, wouldnt he still need his condensor to be in a more upright position, or at least not laying flat in order to get more air to pull through? :confused:

Gary Lloyd
01-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Gas line anti-freeze is pure methanol and is sold everywhere.

jamaljaco
01-01-2004, 10:52 PM
would i have to make the res air tight As much as you can . you dont want all your goodies to excape and poison you and if you smoke well....

GeekGoddess
01-01-2004, 10:55 PM
RUNMC: Very Nice Rig! How come your not using atm?

In regards to the danger of methynol, of course it can kill you and make you go blind,,,it happens to a few alcoholics or stupid teens every year from drinking Wood-Alcohol (methynol),,,so NEVER drink it! :)LOL

In regards to using hydrogen peroxide in your system,,,what about the bubbles in it? Or does that only happen when you put it on a cut?:confused:

EDIT: I know, I need to read more...........

Gary Lloyd
01-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Ok, thanks for the correction Gary. But, wouldnt he still need his condensor to be in a more upright position, or at least not laying flat in order to get more air to pull through?

The hot vapor should enter the top, and there needs to be airflow. That type of condenser, called a "static" condenser is designed to be used without a fan, but is normally in an upright position. Since hot air rises, and the tubes are spread out, there is enough natural airflow to dissipate the heat. The center portion forms a chimney of sorts.

In this case, if its a combination that gets rid of the heat, then its okay. But if it were stood upright, as per its original design, then it wouldn't need the fans.

Gary Lloyd
01-01-2004, 11:13 PM
RUNMC: Very Nice Rig! How come your not using atm?

I'm afraid I gave Runmc some bad advice as regards cap tube sizing on his chiller, which is probably why he isn't using it. I am also learning here. :D

Slickthellama
01-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by iboomalot

handling it shold be fine just don't inhale it too much unless you like that kind of thing :lol:

GeekGoddess
01-01-2004, 11:45 PM
The hot vapor should enter the top, and there needs to be airflow. That type of condenser, called a "static" condenser is designed to be used without a fan, but is normally in an upright position. Since hot air rises, and the tubes are spread out, there is enough natural airflow to dissipate the heat. The center portion forms a chimney of sorts.

In this case, if its a combination that gets rid of the heat, then its okay. But if it were stood upright, as per its original design, then it wouldn't need the fans.

Cool! (no pun intended! :D)

GeekGoddess
01-01-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm afraid I gave Runmc some bad advice as regards cap tube sizing on his chiller, which is probably why he isn't using it. I am also learning here. :D

Aren't we all....

runmc
01-02-2004, 05:41 AM

I didn't say that.:D

Changing the captube was a good learning experience for me. I quit using the chiller, because I moved on to direct-die cooling.

Gary gives the best advice, ever. He is a wonderful teacher, with tons of patience. Learning anything from Gary is a pleasure.

iboomalot
01-02-2004, 06:58 AM
just get two 1gallon jugs one you get from the local gas station or auto parts store full of WW fluid, the other jug empty.

fill jug #2 -- 1/2 full and then fill both up with your choice of alcohol or methanol.

USE a funnel and open methanol, hold breath , pour , put cap back on both jug and can. shake well, DONE DEAL.

and do this outside :D

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 07:51 AM
today i'm going to home depot to pick up some methanol
should i use the one home depot sells or gas line antifreeze

i'm also going to pick up some acrylglass to and put it on top of my res with closed cell foam on the edges than drill screws into it
and i think that will get me airtight

jamaljaco
01-02-2004, 08:02 AM
If your reffering to the S-L-X denatured alcohol at home depot it is the same stuff (methanol) as the gas line antifreeze.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 08:03 AM
thanks for clearing that up i though they were differnt

runmc
01-02-2004, 09:18 AM
The windsheild wiper fluid works good untill you get down to it's advertised freezing point, plus it's alot cheaper.

If your coolant isn't freezing up, I would stick with WWF for now.

When you get your rig perfected to a point where the WWF is freezing, you should change to something different.

Gas line anti-freeze and the denatured alcohol are two good coolants I know of. The denatured alcohol is a ethanol denatured with methanol. You could probably run a fuel dragster with it. It is very flammable. It is very dangerous. I would suggest the WWF untill you have everything sealed and figured out.

As I recall the denatured alcohol was $7.00 a gal. - not to cheap. I would be careful watering it down or you'll wind up having your mix freeze.

Fill your reservoir up, so that all of the evaporator(copper coil) is submerged in the coolant.

As you can see in my picture, I had the return coolant spraying down accross the entire evap. That let the pump pull the coolant down accross the coil and back to the water block.(this idea was one bowman gave me) You get a more evenly distributed coolant flow that way.;)

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 03:14 PM
would the WWF do a better job then the antifreeze because the
antifreeze mixed with water frozed up

would a 30%water 70%antifreeze work for me or would that get to thick
acorrding to dabit's charts at that mix u can go down to -42C

GeekGoddess
01-02-2004, 03:34 PM
would the WWF do a better job then the antifreeze because the
antifreeze mixed with water frozed up

would a 30%water 70%antifreeze work for me or would that get to thick
acorrding to dabit's charts at that mix u can go down to -42C

It was the water in the antifreeze that froze. Get rid of it....forget the idea of putting water in it @ all. Try the antifreeze mixed with the methynol or the WWF. You dont want it to get slushy, and even if it can go down to -42c, that doesnt mean its not gonna be slushy. :)

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 03:37 PM
does anyone know how much 3M's Fluorinert liquid FC-72 cost
and were i could find it
if i could get a hold of it would probably help since it freezes at
-90C

here is info about it
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/electronics_mfg/electronic_materials/node_2KJ8NGV19Gbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_2FCSL3BCQXge/gvel_W28KBR3WK0gl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_electricalmaterials_3_0

or would i be better off using a 50/50 antifreeze and WWF mix

Redwolf
01-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Food grade orange oil
http://www.floridachemical.com

iboomalot
01-02-2004, 04:29 PM
does anyone know how much 3M's Fluorinert liquid FC-72 cost
and were i could find it
if i could get a hold of it would probably help since it freezes at
-90C

here is info about it
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/electronics_mfg/electronic_materials/node_2KJ8NGV19Gbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_2FCSL3BCQXge/gvel_W28KBR3WK0gl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_electricalmaterials_3_0

or would i be better off using a 50/50 antifreeze and WWF mix

FC-77 which cost 375.00/gal. 13 yrs ago when I was going to submerge my amps for car audio I compete in nationally now costs 378.00/gal. Either the prices haven't changed or my memory isn't that good. Either way its nearly 400.00 per gallon.

Its the best but costly.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 10:11 PM
wow thats alot of $$$$$$ i guess i'm going to try out
a mix of antifreeze and WWF
or should i try WWF and water 1st just to see if that gets the job done

Gary Lloyd
01-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Forget the water. Use WWF. If it slushes, pour in a can of gas line anti-freeze. Keep adding gas line anti-freeze each time it slushes.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 10:24 PM
so u mean just use stright WWF

also is WWF dangerous in any way

Gary Lloyd
01-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Yes. Use straight WWF.

It is not healthy to breathe it. And you don't want it to evaporate either. For both reasons, keep it covered.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Does WWF small bad and would i need an airtight res to use it

Gary Lloyd
01-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Yes. And yes.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 10:34 PM
also wouldn't it be better just to run stright methanol instead of the WWF or will ether way get the job done
also would stright methanol or WWF low viscosity cause my pump to have any problems since there viscosity is lower than water

Gary Lloyd
01-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Your system isn't going to get cold enough to need straight methanol. The WWF, along with a can or two of gas line anti-freeze should do the job.

iboomalot
01-02-2004, 11:05 PM
WWF has water in it. I think its a 70/30 mix for -20F solution.

here is a quote from another thread

from iboomalot

and WIPER BLUE uses methanol a form of alcohol

see for yourself::

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II. HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
MATERIAL OR COMPONENT CAS# % OSHA PEL TLV HAZARD DATA
Deionized Water 7732-18-5 67.00
Methanol 67-56-1 33.00
Pyaklor S-405 Blue N/A

HMIS:Health-1, Flammability-3, Reactivity-0, Personal Protection-B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

entire link can be seen here

http://www.douglasproducts.com/commercial/msds_ww.html

"WWF low viscosity cause my pump to have any problems "

No its lower than water but thats a good thing for better flow and cooling properties. Its not too much lower to endanger your pumps.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 11:06 PM
should i use copper tubing instead of plastic water tubing for my water cooling sys this way i don't have to deal with brittle tubing at cold temps

like in this article
http://wc101.com/articles/coppertubing.php

iboomalot
01-02-2004, 11:08 PM
should i use copper tubing instead of plastic water tubing for my water cooling sys this way i don't have to deal with brittle tubing at cold temps

tygon R-1000 would be killer its good to very low temps and its very flexible.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 11:09 PM
is it expensive

afireinside
01-02-2004, 11:10 PM
My res isint 100% air tight. Is the WWF in there killing me?

iboomalot
01-02-2004, 11:12 PM
TYGON® R-1000 Ultra Soft Tubing

Ultra-soft and flexible
Performs well at low temperatures (to -100°F)
Excellent for use in low-torque pump applications

Tygon® R-1000
Tygon® Ultra-Soft Tubing resists a broad range of aqueous chemicals and provides an excellent alternative to silicone tubing in applications where corrosive chemicals are used. Its minimal resistance to compression permits use in low-torque pump applications including battery driven types.

Tygon® Ultra-Soft Tubing stays flexible at temperatures as low as -100°F (-73°C ). Its smooth bore facilitates easy cleaning and helps prevent possible buildup. Do not autoclave. Durometer hardness: Shore A, 40.

prices vary I think its 2 - 4.00 per foot

jamaljaco
01-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Forget the water. Use WWF. If it slushes, pour in a can of gas line anti-freeze. Keep adding gas line anti-freeze each time it slushes. Ok correct me if I'm wrong,But isn't WWf just 20 to 40 percent methanol (based on what brand temp rating ect.) the other ingrediants being water and a bit of detergent? if so wouldn't it be less money and hassle to just purchase the methanol add in your own water and omit the detergent you don't need ? Also giving more control over the amount of water and removing some of the guesswork.

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by afireinside
My res isint 100% air tight. Is the WWF in there killing me?

u might want to seal it from what i have read WWF has about 33% methanol which isn't good to brethe

so were would i go about getting R1000

iboomalot
01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
http://www.integraco.com/r1000p.htm

50' roll is like 120.00 I can find a place that stocks smaller lengths or do an ebay search maybe.

hunt around on the web some places want 6.00 a foot just look around you can find the 2-4.00 a foot prices

water_cooler 20
01-02-2004, 11:25 PM
i found this place that has a 10fyt pack for $30
http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AI&Product_Code=TBG014_10&Category_Code=Vinyl_TBG

but i think it might be cheaper to use copper tubing

jamaljaco
01-03-2004, 12:08 AM
copper for your coolant would be a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:, limiting your mobility. R-1000 good choice, I'm using R-3603.

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 08:48 AM
maybe i should just save the time and money and just use my clearflex60 that i have

i'm also think i will probably go with methanol and water mix unless someone can give me a better idea

iboomalot
01-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I'd spend the 30.00 on the R-1000 its worth the money.

use distilled water not tap.

Good luck to your project.

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 10:42 AM
by any chance do u know if i can find R-1000
locally

runmc
01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
water_cooler,

Your beating your head against the wall .

Just use the Denatured alcohol with "NO WATER" and the clearflex.

Get a decent reservoir that doesn't have a hole in the bottom of it. (I'll sell you mine if that will help)

Put a top on it and seal it up with armaflex (you can get armafex at home depot, along with the denature alcohol) The armaflex is in the air condition department and the denatured alcohol is in the paint section.

Now go to Home Depot.:D

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 12:01 PM
this may sound kind of noobish but what is armaflex

runmc
01-03-2004, 12:31 PM
We are all noob, no prob with that.

Armaflex is an insulation tape It's 1/8" thick and 2" wide. It comes in a roll.

You can wrap your clearflex with it. Seal the lid on the reservoir with it. I covered the styro-foam lid with strips of armaflex.

It's just a tape that will seal and insulate.

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
I have a roll of this stuff
will it work

Redwolf
01-03-2004, 12:40 PM
http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/armacell.nsf/ansHTMLSeitenLookUp/US_Frame?OpenDocument

Gary Lloyd
01-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Rubatex is the same stuff. Just a different brand.

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 12:47 PM
that looks like what i have

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 05:05 PM
i just got back from home depot and I got the Denatured alcohol
and a lexan top for my res
now i used my tape to seal the res here is a pic
also i think i will use the return line to fill the sys

iboomalot
01-03-2004, 06:16 PM
if you have any problems with the lexan for a top due to the methanol attacking it use glass for the next top. If you don't run into a cracking problem don't worry about it.

Gasoline attacks lexan and makes it brittle not 100% sure about methanol just giving you a heads up just in case.

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 07:57 PM
ok so i guess i shouldn't fill it to the top then

also should i go 50/50 w/ methanol and water
or just go 100% methanol

iboomalot
01-03-2004, 08:20 PM
your personal preff

and how cold it will be

water_cooler 20
01-03-2004, 08:24 PM
i think it will be around -30C to -40C
somewere around there

iceman2g
01-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Isn't clearflex rated to only like -25? Also like previously posted you don't need a 100% methanol solution.

jamaljaco
01-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Man , I just saw that pic, Well,we tried,
I'm,
speechless...

good luck.

GeekGoddess
01-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Water_Cooler,
:eek: :brick: :shrug:

water_cooler 20
01-05-2004, 03:20 PM
i thinik i'm going to make a few adjustments to my cooler

1st I'm going to try to make a coxial heater exchanger for my colant to be cooled off

2nd I got a nice R22 3/4HP 9000btu compressor that i'm going to use to replace my old R12 1/6 HP com
here is a pic

iboomalot
01-05-2004, 03:28 PM
hey how large is that ??

also how loud is it?? when you get it going

oh is this the same unit ?? ---> http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/pdf/cat2r10s3r126a-6a.pdf

thanks

water_cooler 20
01-05-2004, 03:45 PM
the compressor is 10 1/2 in tall

I don't know how loud it yet

I don't think the one in the link is mine because in the link it is talking about a 6000btu compressor while mine is 9000btu
but i think its the same type as mine just a differnt btu

I will try to get it going as soon as possible

i'm thinking about making the heat exchanger 10ft would this be too much

water_cooler 20
01-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Update i got an even better compressor now i got one from a friend its a 9100btu compressor 100btu more than my other compressor should i use this one instead of the one in my last post
pic:

water_cooler 20
01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
i already have a vaccum pump
:D

water_cooler 20
01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
the compressor i'm going to use in the above pic has a 1/2 suction line if i use 1/2 tubing for the suction line will that degrade the cooling power of my evap since my evap is made from 3/8 tubing which is smaller than 1/2 tubing

Gary Lloyd
01-07-2004, 05:54 PM
No, it will not degrade the cooling power. However, it will reduce the velocity of the vapor, which makes it less able to transport the oil back to the compressor. If the suction line is downhill to the compressor then it doesn't matter, because gravity will move the oil, but if it is uphill you need that velocity.

water_cooler 20
01-07-2004, 06:19 PM
so i just need to make the suction line go down hill to the compressor and i won't have any oil issues

Gary Lloyd
01-07-2004, 06:41 PM
That would take care of the oil issue, but then there is the liquid refrigerant issue. Liquid will gather in the evaporator during the off cycle. Gravity then carries it down the suction line to the compressor. When the compressor starts (if it starts), it is flooded with liquid. The compressor may or may not survive.

water_cooler 20
01-07-2004, 06:43 PM
the compressor has an accumulator on it would this save the compressor from the liquid

Gary Lloyd
01-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Yes, if it is large enough to hold all of the refrigerant.

water_cooler 20
01-08-2004, 05:22 AM
could i get rid of all the issues if i convert the suction line to 3/8

DaBit
01-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Pressure drop over an 3/8 line is so low that 1/2" would not provide any benefit. In fact, it would make performance worse since it provides less surface area for the same size of the coil.

About the hoses: I have had very good results with clear fuel tubing. Extremely flexible, clear, able to withstand chemicals, and also important: cheap. Also, 1/2" Tricoflex tubing (rubber braided garden hose) works very well at <-40C temps.

water_cooler 20
01-08-2004, 03:28 PM
so i should buy a 1/2 to 3/8 reducing union and use 3/8 all the way than

DaBit
01-09-2004, 12:15 AM
3/8 for the suction, 1/4 for the discharge and liquid lines would do nicely.

water_cooler 20
01-09-2004, 05:09 AM
the liqiud line coming from the compressor is 3/8 so i should go down to 1/4 their then

water_cooler 20
01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
sorry i haven't been here in awhile but my mid-terms where getting in the way but now that they are done i can go back to finshing my water_chiller
now i have a new condensor to go with my new compressor
and i think i am going to try out a coxial HX
the coxial HX will be 10ft of 3/8 for evap and 10ft of 1/2 for the water
here is the new condensor

Gary Lloyd
01-23-2004, 12:42 PM
the liqiud line coming from the compressor is 3/8 so i should go down to 1/4 their then

The liquid line is the line from the condenser to the cap tube. I assume you are talking about the discharge line from the compressor to the condenser.

The discharge line size is not as critical as the suction line. Either 1/4 or 3/8 would do the job. I would go with the 3/8 if that is what the size at the compressor is.

We want the liquid line (condenser to cap tube) to be small in order to reduce refrigerant charge, but not so small as to restrict flow. The best choice would be 1/4.

Suction line size is the most critical. It should be no less than 1/4, and no more than 3/8. If it is larger than 3/8, then both oil and refrigerant flow issues become crucial. Both of these issues need to be considered even with 1/4 or 3/8.

water_cooler 20
01-23-2004, 01:22 PM
since my compressor is going to be bigger now since my old one was 1/6 and my new one is 9100BTU would i need a more restrictive cap tube

Gary Lloyd
01-23-2004, 01:32 PM
since my compressor is going to be bigger now since my old one was 1/6 and my new one is 9100BTU would i need a more restrictive cap tube

If your goal was maximum capacity for a given temperature (fastest pulldown), then you would want to change the cap tube, but since your goal is lowest temperature, you would not change the cap tube.

water_cooler 20
02-20-2004, 08:32 AM
i have not been able to work on my chiller for awhile but now i'm back i have added the new compressor but i have to do some brazing and alot of cleaning:D before i start it here is a pic

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/watercooler20-DSC00251.JPG

like i said lots of cleaning;)

Edit: I guess my pic sever is down right now:mad:

water_cooler 20
02-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Would a 5ft water coxial heatexchanger be long enough to cool the water down under load
I want to use a coxial HE since it looks cleaner than my res and takes up less room
also i have a TEV w/ a 03 sized Orifice rated to 1.5 tons is that to much for a water chiller

also should the evap be on the outer tube or inner