PDA

View Full Version : koolance NX470 and thermal pads

Melampus
08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
This waterblock included two thermal pads. One is gray and have two plastic films on both sides (and in my opinion is thin than second), and the second pad is white/pink and have plastic film only on one side. I look into koolance instruction but they didn't precised which pad i should use. They write that only one pad can be used.
Here is the instruction: http://www.koolance.com/support/files/manual_vid-nx470,480_d100eng.pdf

In that facts i would to ask You (especially if somebody on this forum have this block) which pad i should use? Why they give 2 different pads when it only one of them can be used?

And one more question. Is this koolance thermal paste is good, or better if i used AC5 on the chipset gpu?

Sorry for that noob question, but i'm confused. Before i used only Arctic Ceramique paste on my 9800GX2. I don't used pads.

8Fishes
08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
But they do tell you which one to use.

Two different sets of heat transfer pads are included. Each set has a different thickness, and one should be chosen that offers best contact with your video card.

As for which paste is better, I can't make that call. In place of thermal pads, you can use arctic Ceramique which I think has better thermal conductivity than pads.

Neutronman
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I used the gray thermal pads only on my GTX 470 with the VID 470....

My suggestion is to cut the gray pads to size, place them on the waterblock, then screw the block on to the GTX 470 for test fit, once screwed down remove the waterblock and check the thermal pads for impressions, if no impression is visible on some of the pads, then use the pink thermal tape on these parts.

I found that the gray tape was correct for all memory and vrm with my EVGA.

Hope this helps?

Section8
08-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Use the Grey pads.

snoro
08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
actually you can even trow away those thermal pad and use a bit more thermal paste than normally and it will make contact to the mem and vrm chip.

Melampus
08-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Thank you guys. I will put gray pad and look how it fit.

Section8
08-07-2010, 04:54 PM
actually you can even trow away those thermal pad and use a bit more thermal paste than normally and it will make contact to the mem and vrm chip.

I may try this eventually but first I need to get a temp sensor on those damn VRM's to see if it's even warranted. My GPU temps are great even running them at 900Mhz on the core for benching the hottest card(card1) never breaks 48C. But my VRM's might be melting who knows....

Neutronman
08-09-2010, 07:00 AM
I may try this eventually but first I need to get a temp sensor on those damn VRM's to see if it's even warranted. My GPU temps are great even running them at 900Mhz on the core for benching the hottest card(card1) never breaks 48C. But my VRM's might be melting who knows....

900mhz on the core with a GTX 470 is awesome, I can get no higher than 850mhz on the core 24/7, although the memory on the EVGA GTX 470 is pretty good at 1020mhz.....

Neutronman
08-09-2010, 07:32 AM

Not a good idea, some of the gaps are uneven and around 1mm or greater and TIM will not fill this size gap. I know that Danger Den uses recommends TIM for memory with its waterblocks, but it is still suggesting thermal pads on the VRM's....