PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make an external rad removable from the loop?

scgt1
08-06-2010, 04:44 AM
I'll looking to use an external rad not attached to the computer case.

If I ever were to need to move the case I want to be able to disconnect the rad. Carrying a case and a rad at the same time could prove fatal to something and have a not so great outcome.

I looked at the BP Quick disconnects, but they say nothing about spill proof. I then looked at the koolance ones which state spill proof although I'm just not sure. Would a ball valve and these be necessary? Which is better BP or Koolance? Is there any other alternatives to keeping the coolant contained when you disconnect the tubing?

I don't understand why none of this came to mind sooner. I'm trying to price out all the rest of the stuff I need for the next couple days as I get paid in 4 days. :shrug:

bentleya
08-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Have a look though this (http://skinneelabs.com/qdc.html), Cameron from Skinnee's Lab tested a few. From his results I would say The VL3N's from koolance is your best option.

SlackerXL
08-06-2010, 06:13 AM
i've been using koolance shut-off fittings and quick disconnects for years with no problems at all.
i wouldn't suggest the no-spill ones as they are a bit more restrictive
if i remember correctly.
a few drops of coolant outside the case whenever you dissmantle the loop
is better than the constant flow restriction imho

affiliate13
08-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Yes another vote for Koolance QDCs. You get a little water but some kitchen towel and some common sense will mean you cant go far wrong.

scgt1
08-06-2010, 06:26 AM
The above link states there is minimal difference in restriction. Which ones are you referring to using the V4 or standard V3?

zacrobmer
08-06-2010, 06:39 AM
I have been using Colder QD’s for years. I have two bulkhead female ones on the back of my rig. I just pop off my external rad box for moving, cleaning flushing etc. As long as the Colder females are horizontal the few drops that do leak collect in the collar of the fitting.
Also just get into the habit of putting a towel under or around the QD when you disconnect and you will be fine. It is like everything else in Watercooling it just takes an ounce of common sense.
The Colders have negligible resistance, I can not speak for the Koolance ones.
They are not as nice looking as the Koolance ones however and are a bit tougher to find. I have always bought them from USPlastics.com.