PDA

View Full Version : Forte SPDIF problem

Rumpus01
08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I have my PC hooked up to a Samsung LCD TV via an HDMI cable from my GTX 285. I have connected my forte and 285 via SPDIF, but I get no sound. I've installed new drivers, made sure everything was plugged in correctly, but I get no sound. I do get sound when i hook up the SPDIF to my onboard audio though. I've heard people talk about this problem when having nvidia drivers installed, but i don't know why this isn't working. Any ideas?

Nanometer
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Is HDMI your default device for sending out audio? If you want it to play out the TV make sure you have the sound set to Stereo. Your other sound devices best left on disabled, but it's up to you.

Rumpus01
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Well the TV is hooked up to a receiver which then sends it out through a 5.1 speaker set, so the TV doesn't produce any volume through it's speakers... it's all sent out through the receiver. But this works fine with my onboard. I've been researching a lot and supposedly there is no SPDIF out for the forte... which seems really dumb. There are a ton of pins on the back that fit the SPDIF cable though, so i'm convinced two of those are the key, but there's no pin layout or anything that I can find. It's like nobody has ever tried this with this card.

Nanometer
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
So let me see. You have your computer hooked to your receiver using only your HDMI from the video card. And then the HDMI out is hooked up to your TV. Does Nvidia Control panel tell you that it does support sound? If it is not listed in the NV Panel then it does not. If it does, you need to check to see if that is the default device. Next is to check if your Receiver suppotrs HDMI audio pass through, some older receivers and current ones don't. What model is it?

Nanometer
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
and does your video card have an HDMI out?

grimREEFER
08-06-2010, 11:02 PM
go into control panel, and select the right sound device. there should be 2 entries for the forte, one is digital spdif and the other is analog. You want digital.
Also, you want to go from pc to reciever to tv, not pc to tv to reciever.

when you hook up to the onboard, it probably has a sensor that auto switches the sound device to the right one.