PDA

View Full Version : 'The Cube' WC Chassis

Mudgey
07-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I have been working on a Cube chassis due to there not being a decent affordable chassis available within the UK.

I know most of you will say it is a direct copy of the MM UFO case, well it was not my intent to copy there design, however optimum componant placement and fabrication costs to name a few have dictated the shape and layout of the case which means myself and the designer at MM seem to be working on a similar wave length.

The case can accomodate 1x triple 120 rad, 2x double 120 rads, 1x double 140 rad & 1x single 120 rad.
There is a central divider panel to hide cabling. This panel has various holes and elongated cut outs for bulkhead fittings and cables to neatly pass through.
The other side of the case has slotted hdd cages.
Central fan for cooling underside of motherboard.
Numerous hank bush's inserted for ease of attaching cables to the back panel.
Hank bush's inserted at 120mm fan sizes for mounting of reservoirs etc.
Removable motherboard tray.
Steel front, rear, central and chassis rails.
Aluminium Sides, Top and bottom.
I am going to be making a prototype soon, if anybody wants one at the same time I make my prototype send me a PM.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!

nikhsub1
07-30-2010, 08:07 AM
So making that cost less than buying a MM case?

Mudgey
07-30-2010, 09:03 AM
For people in the UK most probably yes as you would not have to add overseas postage costs and import tax into the equation.

nikhsub1
07-30-2010, 09:12 AM
For people in the UK most probably yes as you would not have to add overseas postage costs and import tax into the equation.
But there are shops in the UK that sell MM no? I'm not mocking your efforts, I'm genuinely curious.

affiliate13
07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Mudgey,
Thats nice work.

pokipoki
07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Looks good!

You may want to consider adding castor wheels (side-lockable) at bottom. Big cases like these are hard to move around, even for a short distance. Side door (with swivel, handle) would be nice too. That'll be really rollin' :D

Mudgey
07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
But there are shops in the UK that sell MM no? I'm not mocking your efforts, I'm genuinely curious.

There are, however the retailers still have to import the product and incur those additional charges on top of their profit margin. I think it works out slightly more expensive buying through a UK reseller.

Looks good!

You may want to consider adding castor wheels (side-lockable) at bottom. Big cases like these are hard to move around, even for a short distance. Side door (with swivel, handle) would be nice too. That'll be really rollin'

This is true, I wouldnt want to be responsible for putting peoples backs out! I'll have a look into some nice castors that would suit.

Waterlogged
07-30-2010, 09:46 AM
This is true, I wouldnt want to be responsible for putting peoples backs out! I'll have a look into some nice castors that would suit.

I went looking for something similar to this

http://www.tradenote.net/images/users/000/399/737/products_images/337756.jpg

and found this (this would be so cool) :rofl:

http://www.active-robots.com/products/parallax/images/motors-servo-wheels/caster-wheels-500.jpg

NaeKuh
07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Meh... it looks just way too simular to a MM.

At least add your own personal touches to it.

Make it different.

Make it bit more roundish, make it more rectanglular.
Iono make it look like a trapazoid even..

But to copy a MM this much, and ask for feedback.
:\

pokipoki
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
http://www.active-robots.com/products/parallax/images/motors-servo-wheels/caster-wheels-500.jpg

Those need shiny rims to match case color/sleeve theme :rofl:

http://www.sheppards.co.nz/i/content/img-home.jpg

The base plate of the case must be thick enough, so that the castors won't dent it (back pressure). Combined weight of reservoirs & rads with water in them is heavy. Castors may have to be padded.

Humminn55
07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.castercity.com/eshop/products/QTWN-N60GS-TS.jpg

NaeKuh
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1318/cpa-115/Lian_Li_Metal_Casters_Wheels_Stand_w_Brake_WB-01.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/large/cpa-115.jpg

LL wheels are nice too.

However you probably need at least 3 pairs...

1 for the front, and 2 for the rear, or 4.. one on each corner, but you would have 4 wheels up front and 4 behind in that fashion.

eppopipe
07-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Wait so...your going to be making a case soon or you made the case in the picture?
I love the little differences i see in the case in the picture over my current MM (namely that bottom mounted rad, and flush front end)

Mudgey
07-31-2010, 02:52 AM
I have been wanting to make a computer case for a while now, I have other design projects on the go but I am new to acrylic and so I thought I would start myself off on something simple.

The image you see above is a computer render, however it really gives a good indication of how the finished project may look like.

Mudgey
07-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Update:

Duh
07-31-2010, 06:37 AM
very good work . i do not get why you are getting flamed

Martinm210
07-31-2010, 09:08 AM
IMHO, Looks good and competition is always a good thing, helps tone down inflated prices.

FYI, "Dice" have been known to be around for longer than 5,000 years now. I think the general shape has been around long enough now.

Saying that's copying is like saying I should put square wheels on the buggy I'm building.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see more options myself, rads on the floor would be cool.:up:

gmat
07-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks good and i like the internal mounting options. And yeah like martin said, cube form factor is not a trademark of MM, others did it before (i can think of NEXT or Apollo workstations from the 80's).

NaeKuh
07-31-2010, 10:04 AM

he's not getting flamed.
He's being asked to improvise.

Mountain Mods is not a big company like Antec, or CoolerMaster.
So a thread which is encoruging a member to copy there ideas and take business away from a small company is not leaving a sweet taste in my mouth.

If this is his personal design for personal use, then no one has the right to complain to the builder. And infact i think its a excellent attempt at a personal case for personal use.

But the sole fact he's trying to reproduce versions for public sale in the UK, and its a total copy of a MM.

I am going to be making a prototype soon, if anybody wants one at the same time I make my prototype send me a PM.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!

OP, do you intend to make money off this case?
Or you doing this purely for yourself and just offering others to join your design this 1 time?

Alexandr0s
07-31-2010, 03:09 PM
IMHO, Looks good and competition is always a good thing, helps tone down inflated prices.

FYI, "Dice" have been known to be around for longer than 5,000 years now. I think the general shape has been around long enough now.

Saying that's copying is like saying I should put square wheels on the buggy I'm building.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see more options myself, rads on the floor would be cool.:up:

I think most of them are referring to the resemblance of the internals to MM. Which I agree on, the inside looks very similar to the design of MM.

For example, I'm also working on a design for a cubic case, but the internals are competely different from that of an MM cubic case.

Mudgey
07-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Naekuh, my intentions were not to copy MM, but to produce a cube case around certain criteria.

Is it not possible that people can come to similar layouts when designing around optimum rad, fan and componant placement? They have designed their case to be cheap to produce and so have I, as it turns out there cheapest way I could find to produce a cube chassis turns out to be a similar way to how they have done theirs. Please bare in mind it is not possible to produce a case of similar construction as the likes of Lian Li and others as their machinery is far out of reach for the average joe.

These factors have to be taken into cosideration when finding the optimal balance between quality and cost:

Ease of assembly
Cost of shipping finished product
Cost of packaging
Repeatability of fabricating parts on hand operated tooling
Materials cost
Use of low budget machinery
No tooling expenditure

Anyway, there is no innovation without competition :)

Mudgey
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Alexandro's, I would be very interested in seeing your cube case, and the internal layout!

Ogge_swe
07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
interesting, how much?

Martinm210
07-31-2010, 09:45 PM
I think most of them are referring to the resemblance of the internals to MM. Which I agree on, the inside looks very similar to the design of MM.

For example, I'm also working on a design for a cubic case, but the internals are competely different from that of an MM cubic case.

Ah...I see. I really don't know the MM details, only enough to know I'd like one but don't want to spend that sort of money..:D

Some day I'll get tired of the dust collecting test bench and buy a humongo case of some sort...:D

hecktic
07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
even if you did use the MM design, you can always add something to it or change something and then its yours :)

just dont make it too obvious

Alexandr0s
08-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi Alexandro's, I would be very interested in seeing your cube case, and the internal layout!

Sure, it's not a very 'efficient' design, but it's what I like. Maybe you even have some suggestions for improvement :D.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6926/casex.png

Expat GriZ
08-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Mudgey!! Well done!! Very nice looking case. What I would like to see is if you could incorporate Alexandr0s's (very nice as well) horizontal MB tray? For an SR-2?? :shrug: :D

Mudgey
08-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Thats an awesome layout alexandros, what materials are you using to build the chassis?

Expat GriZ: Thanks for the compliments. I may add a horizontal mobo tray in the future, we'll see how this case comes out first :) As for the SR-2, that is a beast of a motherboard, it will fit inside the case, however there is very very little room around it!!

Alexandr0s
08-01-2010, 07:59 AM
The structure will be entirely made out of wood, and I will use a combination of wood and acrylic to cover the outside.

What bothered me at first was the large empty space in the front middle. But after designing some tubing, and adding all the wires in my imagination (it helps to have a good spacial visualization ability ;) ), I realized the open space is really useful for easy access, so I will leave it there :).

rjkoneill
08-01-2010, 02:41 PM
i like the design, looks a little more rounded than mm cases.

especially the front bezels with the rivets in them, i would replace the thumbscrews with m4 buttonheads to make it look a little more stealth.

is that a fan mount behind the cpu socket on the mb tray?
seriously, that is a really cool idea!

gmat
08-01-2010, 03:53 PM
its a total copy of a MM.
I see a copy of tried and proved designs from Yeong Yang and Lian Li.. the middle vertical MB tray is from those so are the openings positions and even the drive bays. It's not too far fetched to think one can get to this solution thinking of a simple cube design, i also thought of a similar design (i had a YY cube) before i knew about MM, i'm not surprised other people had similar ideas.

And yeah, more bottom mounted radiators would be neat.

woffen
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I like this case a lot. With some minor modifications it could be ideal (for me that is). More renders are always welcome:up:

MountainMods
08-02-2010, 06:37 AM
We have design and "hyper modular" functional patents on our products.
You may want to factor that into things before investing in duplication.

DarthBeavis
08-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I just designed a car. What do you all think?
http://www.exoticcars.ws/cars/ferrari-enzo-doors-open.jpg

SnW
08-02-2010, 07:18 AM

I hate the doors. :(

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 07:24 AM

OMG, what did you use to render that :eek:? It looks so realistic :rofl:.

All jokes aside, we all know you need to design awesome cases Darth, not awesome cars.

Also, I'm wondering why no one has mentioned this expression:
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" ;).

Mudgey
08-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi 'MountainMods',

I do not want to encroach on anything so could you please go into detail on what your patents cover?

This matter would be best dealt with privately so could you please PM me the details or where I might find them.

Many thanks.

Mudgey
08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Here is another render with the side panels on.

I will show internal detailing soon.

Waterlogged
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
FrozenCPU might get a little bit upset about the "Hypercube" thing. ;)

http://www.frozencpu.com/search.html?mv_profile=keyword_search&mv_session_id=GXi2ys5q&searchspec=hypercube&go.x=0&go.y=0

step
08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
What's with the thing sticking out of the back?

Mudgey
08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Ah man, that just sucks. I'm going to have to think of a different name. I was thinking that 'hypercube' was quite befitting.

The bar at the back is for attaching cables. It allows the user to tie the cables to it via one method or another which neatens up the back of the case. It is also held on with thumbscrews so that if you want to work on the case elsewhere you may remove this panel and the cables. I am going to redesign in with 1" slots so that the user can use those fasty velcro strap things.

Vinas
08-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Even though it looks nice... This case is a MountainMods clone to me. :shrug: Looks very similar to some models they already have. Even though the cube idea isn't new, this particular remake could easily be mistaken for a MM case. I thought it was at first. :ROTF: The MM case is below.

http://www.mountainmods.com/images/images_big/MPCDREAM.jpg

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Those are indeed some remarkable similarities. Mudgey, though I love your case, I suggest you change your design a bit, or don't try to produce it, to prevent copyright infringement :).

Mudgey
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
You guys are right, I am going to adjust the look/style to differentiate the design, I do not want to get into any infringement issues.

Please note that my intention is not to steal business away from MM at all and I fully appreciate the effort and design that has gone into the designs of the MM cases.

Laine
08-02-2010, 10:04 AM
To say that he copied the Mountain Mod is just silly. It is a cube. The most basic shape ever created.
Adapt the form of a cube to the PC world, and you get what he got. A cube.

As he stated, this was the most efficient design.

DarthBeavis
08-02-2010, 10:06 AM
To say that he copied the Mountain Mod is just silly. It is a cube. The most basic shape ever created.

As he stated, this was the most efficient design.
Needs to be differentiated.

Laxxen
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.boxandsupply.com/images/BAS_MovingBoxes/MovingBox.jpg

Mudgey
08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
It is possible to come to the same design due to optimum placement of componants, however people are right in saying it needs to be different. It is easily mistaken for a MM and so it needs to have visual cues that would obviously differentiate the case from anything else. It is quite obvious from the rear it is not an MM, but not from the front.

Moitrux
08-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't know how he could differentiate his design of a MM case, without adding costs ...

Many people have build cube cases, they were never accused to copy anything.

NaeKuh
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM

So the Lian Li 343-B is another mountain mods copy?

No, the 343B is different in the way it looks, and how the internals are setup.

His design is almost identical to a U2 layout in the inside, minus the floor mounting rad.

Were asking him to improvise, and make things better.
When MM made these cases, they didnt expect the large cache of parts we have now.

Infact i really wish MM would double layer there case, meaning give us more floor room with a second floor.
A tall case is pretty much pointless unless your mounting a large rad.
Floor space, things where u can set on the ground is more important when your packing multi loops inside.

That is why i will never get an ascension.
1. I have absolutely no need for a larger rad then a PA120.3 when im on tri loops.
2. You can do so much more when you have a extra floor to lay stuff on.
3. The Pedistool does just that.. gives my case an ascension boost with floor space.

:up:

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't know how he could differentiate his design of a MM case, without adding costs ...

Many people have build cube cases, they were never accused to copy anything.

Some of the internal designs are probably patented by MM. No problem if you're building a case of your own, but Mudgey clearly stated his designed was for production (though small scale probably), which means patents do apply.

DarthBeavis
08-02-2010, 10:23 AM
You could make all panels hinge-based (hydraulic ) so they lift up like a sports car . . .have rounded edges like others have said.

Laine
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
So the Lian Li 343-B is another mountain mods copy?

No, the 343B is different in the way it looks, and how the internals are setup.

His design is almost identical to a U2 layout in the inside, minus the floor mounting rad.

Were asking him to improvise, and make things better.
When MM made these cases, they didnt expect the large cache of parts we have now.

Infact i really wish MM would double layer there case, meaning give us more floor room with a second floor.
A tall case is pretty much pointless unless your mounting a large rad.
Floor space, things where u can set on the ground is more important when your packing multi loops inside.

That is why i will never get an ascension.
1. I have absolutely no need for a larger rad then a PA120.3 when im on tri loops.
2. You can do so much more when you have a extra floor to lay stuff on.
3. The Pedistool does just that.. gives my case an ascension boost with floor space.

:up:
The 343 has the same internal setup, plus the additional row of 5,25" where a rad can be placed?
Getting what you're saying though. And on your idea:

DIBS, too late MM!
Say hello to the Suupah Cube.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3715/hevydutylaine.jpg

NaeKuh
08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
u know thats a 3 foot tall tower? 18inches x 2 = 36 inches = 3 feet. :rofl:

LOL..

u mean say hello to 5 yr old kid? :P

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Laine, I don't think a rad long enough to fit that has been build yet :rofl:

Laine
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Laine, I don't think a rad long enough to fit that has been build yet :rofl:

If I recall correctly, I think that Thermochill made one that might do the trick.

Edit: Found it.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3921568&postcount=35

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
One:

I stand corrected :rofl:

two:

That thing is scary :eek:! Still less restrictive than a CPU block if Martinm's calculations are correct :rofl:

sirsiddius
08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
For pete's sake, this talk of copyright infringment is getting ridiculous. You can't patent a square box with some cutouts in it.

It's the simplest and cheapest and easiest design possible. I mean the skills necessary to make this thing probably dates back to the iron age.

The guy's doing great work trying to give European customers alternatives, and all this forum can do is sprout some patent troll propaganda.

I for one would like to be directed to the relavent patents that MM claims to hold. And it'd better be more substantial than
"a cuboid vessle designed to house computer components and acessories."

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe Mudgey already asked MountainMods (a member of this community), that the patents would be discussed via PM. So we'll see some new designs showing up soon hopefully.

NaeKuh
08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
If I recall correctly, I think that Thermochill made one that might do the trick.

Edit: Found it.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3921568&postcount=35

ROFLROFL i think i remember that post...

One:

I stand corrected :rofl:

two:

That thing is scary :eek:! Still less restrictive than a CPU block if Martinm's calculations are correct :rofl:

Its a radiator for spartains what else do you expect?

This is SPARTA!

However i prefer the persian approach.
Bring on the million MCR120!!!

Alexandr0s
08-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Spartains :rolleyes:

Wikpedia:

"Did you mean: Spartans?" :rolleyes:

Still, it's a scary rad. No rad that's scary gets into my loops (if it would fit). Only intimidating and awesome rads (yes, I am rad discriminating).

Stealth42o
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM

This is XS. Seems to be a past time for some members here to :banana::banana::banana::banana: on other peoples work.

Personally I love it. Competition is always a good thing.

Even though it looks nice... This case is a MountainMods clone to me

How are you going to make a cube and not make it look like a MM UFO? It's a cube. :shrug:

http://www.boxandsupply.com/images/BAS_MovingBoxes/MovingBox.jpg

I LOL'd! OMG MM Clone?!?!?!

Again, great work. Got a build for a buddy later this year, will look into this case when the time comes.

UrbanSmooth
08-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks good, keep up the good work!

Europe needs a Mountain Mods-type case manufacturer.

rehpyc
08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Very little modification needs to be done to the current design to keep away from patent infringement. MM, and supporters of them, may be in fear of the company losing profit, but that's simply business. If there's profit being made, others will join in on that market. I think it's great there there's another alternative being provided to the cube design, WHICH IS NOT REVOLUTIONARY. Out of the plethora of cases available between different companies, you will quickly find many of them have very similar internals and are only then really differentiated by the outer design of the case.

nitromullet
08-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I personally don't think the spirit should be to copy a MM case, and then tweak it just to avoid infringement. Personally, I'd evaluate what Lian Li and MM did right with their cube cases, think of what I would want in a case, and then improve on their designs. That is how competition works.

If you really look at the MM U2-UFO and the Lian Li PC-343B and try to imagine your "dream" water cooling setup in either of them, you can pretty quickly spot areas where their designs are close to brilliant, but you can also spot areas that could be improved.

IMO, the OP's design (while nice) doesn't really improve much on the U2-UFO in terms of water cooling functionality. I do like his idea for the drive bays though. I like the flush mounting, and the external screws have a cool look to them. I also like the top mounted PSU. I've never really liked the idea too much of having a bottom mounted PSU in a water cooled PC, especially the way MM has it where the PSU is upside down, exposing the bottom fan to falling dust and possibly water. The downside of the OP's PSU location is that the 24-pin cable will be on the far side of the case from the motherboard. Put the PSU above the motherboard like the MM rear panels, but reinforce it enough for it to hold a heavy PSU.

I don't understand the desire to have a horizontal bottom mounted rad. I have one now because of space constraints in my Rocketfish tower, and it's a PITA to drain. I would never choose to mount a rad on the bottom if I had the choice.

rjkoneill
08-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Europe needs a Mountain Mods-type case manufacturer.

this -
whilst there is a lot of similarities, [in that the case is he same shape and general design]
there are a lot of innovations too.

mountain mods dont supply to europe on a cheap basis.

the case i specced up for myself was coming in at around $500 USD

this then came to a total of $650+ USD after shipping and impot duty.

buying mountain mods is simply not feasable in europe. you pay a third extra on some cases.

of course you can get the standard ones from certain distributors but the whole reason for buying a case like that is to have a CYO custom edition that only you have.

a european competitor would be a good thing.

coolmiester
08-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Its all about supply and demand and if MM aren't prepared or can't find a financially viable distributer in the UK and another company or individual are prepared to fill that hole with a similar product then its simple business and healthy competition which will obviously be a win / win situation for the end user.

OC Maximus
08-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Its all about supply and demand and if MM aren't prepared or can't find a financially viable distributer in the UK and another company or individual are prepared to fill that hole with a similar product then its simple business and healthy competition which will obviously be a win / win situation for the end user.

True, it is similar but not exactly the same. A cube is a cube. Enough said.

Mudgey
08-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Removeable Side Panels

woffen
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
A cube will always look like a cube. It is hard to make it not look like a MM case. It will be the small things making it different. Looking at the last picture the "frame" of the case, if you can call it that, looks to be totally different. The 5.25 bays and HDD setup looked different. Component placement is similar in most cases so don't see that playing any role at all. I really like the look of this case and hopefully Mudgey will continue to develop it and come up with great solutions to make it as perfect as possible.

LeighPing
08-06-2010, 12:41 AM
I didn't get any complaints from MM, or anybody else for that matter, when I built my cube :p:.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/Warp_01/DSC01945.jpg
HillBilly Mods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOguwuLbQqY)

Waterlogged
08-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I didn't get any complaints from MM, or anybody else for that matter, when I built my cube :p:.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/Warp_01/DSC01945.jpg
HillBilly Mods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOguwuLbQqY)

My grand mother has been flipping out looking for her wicker picnic basket, now I know where to tell her to look.:rofl:

Johnny87au
08-06-2010, 01:49 AM
rofl, u sure it isnt your basket waterlogged? :D

Waterlogged
08-06-2010, 01:53 AM
rofl, u sure it isnt your basket waterlogged? :D

:slap:

Johnny87au
08-06-2010, 02:23 AM
:rofl::shrug:

Alexandr0s
08-06-2010, 03:42 AM
:slap:

Now now Waterlogged, be nice :). We all know how much you like those baskets :rolleyes:.

Mudgey
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I am currently playing around with various ways to create a cube chassis that will meet the following criteria:

Ability to be flat packed.
Least sharp edges as possible.
Least no of fabrication operations as possible.
Least no of parts as possible.
As aesthetically pleasing as a cube can be.

So here is a current favourite of a few I have come up with:

The top and bottom panels can be removed but they are not quick release like the side panels. Due to the design this chassis is also incredibly rigid. The only downside is the increased visibility of countersunk bolts.

woffen
08-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Looks good, however I liked it more with the scews pointing out of the case:) Maybe add a render in black as it is the most widely used colour. Just to make it easier to "compare" it to others. Just a idea. Looking forward to more renders!