PDA

View Full Version : SATA dvd drives not recognised - help please!

tiro_uspsss
07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I bought 3x pioneer dvd-rw drives today - SATA ones, first time I have bought SATA drives.. atm I have plugged only 2 in.. I have plugged them into PCI SATA (silicon image 3114).. when I first turned on the PC in hung @ " Verifying DMI Pool Data " (whatever that means).. I then decided to turn the PC on without them plugged in, then plugged them in while the PC was running ('hot-plug').. the PC still didnt recognise them (despite the fact that I can do this with HDDs no probs).. the OS is W7x86

anyone know whats going on? :shrug:

tiro_uspsss
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
anyone? :(

SoulsCollective
07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Have you tried plugging the drives into the SATA ports on the board? Could just be a compatibility issue with the expansion card you're using.

Biker
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I have had this once or twice as well when the SATA card is simply incompatible with DVD / CD drives....

Is it running the latest drivers (http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3&os=11) and bios (http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=15&os=0)?

dengyong
07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Try hot pluging one, then under disk management, rescan disks in the "more actions" tab, top right.

tiro_uspsss
07-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I've not really solved the problem despite updating drivers & BIOS.. but for the time being I've plugged them into a different controller (ICH5R) are they are working.. still would have like them to work with the SI3114 cards :(

Movieman
07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I've not really solved the problem despite updating drivers & BIOS.. but for the time being I've plugged them into a different controller (ICH5R) are they are working.. still would have like them to work with the SI3114 cards :(

I would be happy that they are working and leave it.
I also disagree with hotplugging them and especially with hotplugging HD's..

tiro_uspsss
07-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I would be happy that they are working and leave it.

mm.. *grumble grumble*
says on the darn SI website that the 3114 works with optical drives :mad: afterall.. I like it *my* way :D I wanted all 3 drives plugged into the one card.. now i have them spread across 2 PCs :mad:

hot-plugging? why not? :shrug: works fine & is sooo darn convenient! :yepp:

dengyong
07-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Why so, if the hardware supports it ?

SoulsCollective
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
There's no reason to not hot-swap devices - unless your OS is old (ie. pre-XP) or you're using molex-to-SATA adapters, and therefore don't have the 3.3V line - hot-swapping without this will definitely screw your hardware.

tiro_uspsss
07-28-2010, 09:33 PM
There's no reason to not hot-swap devices - unless your OS is old (ie. pre-XP) or you're using molex-to-SATA adapters, and therefore don't have the 3.3V line - hot-swapping without this will definitely screw your hardware.

why/how so? thats the only way I have done it so far :D & have never had a problem :shrug:

SoulsCollective
07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
SATA spec demands 3.3V. A lot of devices work without it, as HDD and ODD manufacturers were already making devices that only ran on 5V and 12V before SATA spec came along, and a lot of folks (like you :p:) insist on using legacy power connections, but I've had numerous devices die on me when not supplied with 3.3V when swapping them out. As far as I understand it, it's used primarily in the initial power-on/surge regulation and disconnect - but I'm no electrical engineer. I just RTFM :rotf:

tiro_uspsss
07-28-2010, 09:51 PM
SATA spec demands 3.3V. A lot of devices work without it, as HDD and ODD manufacturers were already making devices that only ran on 5V and 12V before SATA spec came along, and a lot of folks (like you :p:) insist on using legacy power connections, but I've had numerous devices die on me when not supplied with 3.3V when swapping them out. As far as I understand it, it's used primarily in the initial power-on/surge regulation and disconnect - but I'm no electrical engineer. I just RTFM :rotf:

:p: mm ok.. hehe well guess I'm lucky.. & probably a lil dumb too - I think I'll keep hot-swapping without 3.3V until something dies :nuts:

what 'devices' have u had die on u? HDDs? which manufacturer?

it always arouses my curiousity when something is 'supposed' to work one way & yet works another :rolleyes: