PDA

View Full Version : How much can my pump handle?

unrlmth
07-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a Liang D4/MCP655 and want to mount my 2 120/2 rads in my basement. My loop includes a CPU Bloc, NB Block, and GPU Block. The rads will be ~2 ft below the computer. Will this be an issue for my pump?

Will I have an issue with condensation?

Also I am planning on building a new top for the water block on my Foxconn Blackops mobo. I'm planning on using acetal instead of the original Al. Has anyone done this before so I can see what the finished product looks like? I'm just planning on making as close of a copy to the original aluminum one as I can.

WhiteFireDragon
07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
that pump should be fine. so is it a D4 or mcp655? they are similar, but the D4 is a very old version of the mcp655, so i can't say the reliability of this pump. i had this old pump, but only used it for a few months though. i'm doing something a little more stressful, 5 blocks and 4 rads with only 1 pump (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256212) and people say it's ok, so i doubt you'll have any trouble with this setup.

as for condensation, that only happens when your water temps are below the ambient temps, but above the freezing point of water. since this is just regular watercooling with no chilling involved, your water temps will never be below ambient. that just defies physics.

nikhsub1
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
as for condensation, that only happens when your water temps are below the ambient temps, but above the freezing point of water. since this is just regular watercooling with no chilling involved, your water temps will never be below ambient. that just defies physics.
If his rads are in the basement, and the basement temps are say 5C - 10C cooler than the temps of the room his comp is in it is possible to get condensation but not likely... it depends on the specific dew point etc...

unrlmth
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
that pump should be fine. so is it a D4 or mcp655? they are similar, but the D4 is a very old version of the mcp655, so i can't say the reliability of this pump. i had this old pump, but only used it for a few months though. i'm doing something a little more stressful, 5 blocks and 4 rads with only 1 pump (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256212) and people say it's ok, so i doubt you'll have any trouble with this setup.

It says D4 Basic on the back. Right now (summer) there isn't a huge difference, maybe a few degrees difference. I'm more worried when it will get colder outside and we will have the heat going. If I were to put a temp sensor in the res, I would be able to tell if the water was getting too close to ambient, right?

Grinder
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I have an MCP650, which = D4. AFAIK the specs are the same as the D5. I just set up my loop with the D4 and an MCP655 (D5 vario) in series.

I've owned the MCP650 for 5 years, and it's still going strong. It's not been running 24/7, but a lot, i.e. whenever I'm at home.

I would suggest you try out Martin's flow rate calculator.

In any event, the reliability has been top notch, but how many hours are on yours? I believe the MTBF was 50,000 hours.

unrlmth
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I have an MCP650, which = D4. AFAIK the specs are the same as the D5. I just set up my loop with the D4 and an MCP655 (D5 vario) in series.

I've owned the MCP650 for 5 years, and it's still going strong. It's not been running 24/7, but a lot, i.e. whenever I'm at home.

I would suggest you try out Martin's flow rate calculator.

In any event, the reliability has been top notch, but how many hours are on yours? I believe the MTBF was 50,000 hours.

50k hours, thats like 5-6 years right? Mine does not have that much use on it. Maybe 10k hours on it at the most, so I'm not too worried about it failing.

I'm looking at it right now, thanks for the calc and the clarification on the pump. :)

jumper2high
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
If his rads are in the basement, and the basement temps are say 5C - 10C cooler than the temps of the room his comp is in it is possible to get condensation but not likely... it depends on the specific dew point etc...

you can find out the dew point with most cheapo household digital barometers

unrlmth
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Using my analog setup that I have here and the formula Td=T-((100-RH)/5) gives me a dew point of 60 with the room temp at 68.

So it seems like the times I would need to be the most cautious when its high humidity and a large difference in temperature between my room and the basement.