PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Budget build. Pioneer HPM-100 Speakers?

Sgrios
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
My goal here is to buy a budget set of speakers for my bedroom, in which I can accurately reproduce the original source. My room size is 14 feet by 13 feet, wet plaster walls and my bedroom is well furnished, with all oak furnishings. I mainly listen to Hard Rock, Rock, Alternative, Grunge and just about everything in between.

My overall budget is $1400. I'm looking for input on speakers and a amplifier. What I have: Onkyo TX-8555 Receiver and I recently picked up a Onkyo C-S5VL CD Player. I am in no way partial to, Onkyo, nor a fan boy, so all suggestions are welcome.

I've heard that some Audiophiles say that these speakers have a "West Coast" rock sound to them.

The Pioneer HPM-100 Speakers I'm looking at have the solid wood enclosures. My friends uncle bought them in '79 new and he passed away after owning them for five years. They were kept in the basement covered for 25 years. There's no swelling of the enclosure(s), they have the original stickers on the back of each enclosure, just slight scuffs on the back of one of the enclosures (To be expected for a item that is almost thirty years old), the carbon-fiber blended tweeters, mid-ranges, and woofers with their greased cloth surrounds all look great. The drivers sounded good with the different tracks that I auditioned, no crippling or anything to that effect. He's asking $350 for the set.

So I wanted to hear some of the Audiophile's opinions on these speakers for the given duty that I would be using them for.

Ch@pS
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
That response is far from linear, or accurate by today's standards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_HPM-100

$350 for those? Knock him down to $100 and take them, else look elsewhere.

If you want to accurately reproduce the source, try something a bit more modern IMO.

Lastly, you auditioned them right? Well, audition modern sets within your budget and see which you prefer. :) Even if you get a pair of bookshelf monitors rather than the Floorstanders, the room is fairly smallish so it won't be too terrible. What amp will you be driving the speakers off of?

Sgrios
07-26-2010, 02:53 PM

$350 for those? Knock him down to $100 and take them, else look elsewhere.

If you want to accurately reproduce the source, try something a bit more modern IMO.

Lastly, you auditioned them right? Well, audition modern sets within your budget and see which you prefer. :) Even if you get a pair of bookshelf monitors rather than the Floorstanders, the room is fairly smallish so it won't be too terrible. What amp will you be driving the speakers off of?

I'm looking at the Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Digital Stereo Amplifier.

jason str
07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
$50 would be the maximum worth of these speakers unless the crossovers were recently rebuilt then maybe $100 would be fair. For $300-350 there are MANY better choices out there.

Sgrios
07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
$50 would be the maximum worth of these speakers unless the crossovers were recently rebuilt then maybe $100 would be fair. For $300-350 there are MANY better choices out there.

I'm open to suggestions than.

jason str
07-27-2010, 03:07 AM
In that price range seeing you like the same music i listen to these would be my first picks.

Using the right tool for the job will help greatly, horns are more efficient and run louder with less power + lower distortion = the way to go.

These are my choices
#1- Klipsch Heresy I or II - easy to find, built for over 50 years & the III series are still available today
#2- Klipsch Quartet , this has a better Tractrix midrange horn lens but may be harder to find.
#3- Klipsch Forte I or II , the II series has the Tractrix mid horn & slightly more bass response, can be found under $500, the most of the bunch
#4- Klipsch KG4, this can be found for as little as $150 but are only 2 way (1 horn, 2 woofers & 12" passive rear firing radiator )

Any of these sets of speakers will give you true "LIVE" concert sound in your home and can be found in the under $350.

There are many other good choices from Altec Lansing & JBL but will be harder to find, larger & more expensive.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist, they pop up often

Donnie27
07-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm open to suggestions than.

#1- Klipsch Heresy I or II - easy to find, built for over 50 years & the III series are still available today
#2- Klipsch Quartet , this has a better Tractrix midrange horn lens but may be harder to find.
#3- Klipsch Forte I or II , the II series has the Tractrix mid horn & slightly more bass response, can be found under $500, the most of the bunch
#4- Klipsch KG4, this can be found for as little as $150 but are only 2 way (1 horn, 2 woofers & 12" passive rear firing radiator )

HPM 100, hell the Hersey 1 or 2 doesn't beat out the HPM 40's LOL! My Roomate in the Army had HPM 100's and those are very hard to beat because they have a very wide frequency range. These aren't solid wood. They do use a higher density and thicker fiber board than current MDF. All drivers are fast and don't have to perform any kind of Double duty. There aren't any tweeters trying to be mid-range and woofers trying to play Hi-Bass notes like the K4's that was corrected with the better KG4.5 and higher. There is no need for Bass Radiation because the HPM 100 create their own bass (Bass Reflex) cleanly, easily/effortlessly and with little coloration IMHO. Using a Sub with these are waste of time for music. These are 4 way speakers that were made to be high performance.

That said, these and many others might be wasted on the Music you listed LOL! It's like buying a nice Audi or BMW Sedan to go Off-Roading.

jason str
07-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Those pioneers are not so great and frequency response has nothing to do with it, open one up and look at the cheaply made speakers and crossovers, no thanks.

KG4's are my favorite of the KG series and can be found very reasonable.

Ch@pS
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm looking at the Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Digital Stereo Amplifier.

Very nice! Ok so you'll have more than enough power for most of the speakers you'll be looking at.

I'm loving my Whafedale Diamond 10.1s, paired them with a TLS active 10" sub and for stereo music this setup is perfect for my tastes.

Diamond 10.1 review (http://awards.whathifi.com/winners/stereo-speakers-and-subwoofers/2009)

Those should be within your budget?

Otherwise If you want some 3way/4way floorstander speakers, I'd look around for some classic Mission models. I've experienced many older Mission stereo speakers and really like their sound for the price.

jason str
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
If you don't have an amp yet consider this.
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=373&Title=Azur+650A+amplifier

Having a separate tuner will eliminate the radio crosstalk in your system.

Donnie27
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Those pioneers are not so great and frequency response has nothing to do with it, open one up and look at the cheaply made speakers and crossovers, no thanks.

Frequency is important;)

That's it though, it's our opinion. Sorry I couldn't disagree with you more! No one buying these are expecting Martin Logan's or etc... I like Klipsch Cornwall, Bells-Klipschorn, La Scala and all of their larger boxes but the Hersey's aren't in the HPM 100's class IMHO.

Hersey's parts aren't any better and the woofer is cheaper. I repair speakers and have repaired both (surrounds). HPM's woofers are head and shoulders better than Hersey's.

These are meant for home use, not Nightclubs or Rock Concerts.

These aren't my favorite Pioneer Speakers, I like the 150/1500:up:

http://www.tapeheads.net/showpost.php?p=13087&postcount=16

Point blank, I (just me and my own opinion) would take these over the KG4's any day of the week. I'd rather go with more independent drivers over fewer drivers having to do multiple things simultaneously. The reason I don't like Cans because the real good ones with fast accurate drivers cost as much as Very good Old School 3 way speakers LOL! HPM 100s are 4 way.

Klipsch woofer
http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-KP-22-E-woofer-Heresy-/190423538243?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2c56209a43

HPM woofer
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-vintage-Pioneer-HPM-100-12-woofers-speakers-nice-/350375473293?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item519401708d

Not much difference in the Crossovers either but I like Klipsch's crossovers better.

Sgrios
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
If you don't have an amp yet consider this.
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=373&Title=Azur+650A+amplifier

Having a separate tuner will eliminate the radio crosstalk in your system.

I own a Onkyo TX-8555 Receiver and I'm considering the Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Digital Stereo Amplifier. Am I missing something.

Thanks for your input everyone.
@Donnie - Any sources for the 150's, because I've looked pretty hard?

jason str
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I own a Onkyo TX-8555 Receiver and I'm considering the Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Digital Stereo Amplifier. Am I missing something.

If the Cambridge is out of your price range check out the Marantz PM5003

You made a wise choice planning to go with an integrated amp but there are better choices than the Onkyo for the $$$

jason str
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Frequency is important;)

My LaScala's start rolling off around 50 Hz in the low end and 17,000 with the K77 tweeter you would think this will not sound good because of the rated frequency response ?

Klipsch is still making the Heresy after 50 + years, they must be doing something right.

The KG4 was last on my list because it will not keep up with my first 3 recommendations, the Forte and Forte II are the best on the list and can be found for $250 - $450 depending on condition.

Sgrios
07-28-2010, 02:40 PM
In regards to Pioneer HPM-1500 speakers. Is there a way to tell if the omni-directional super tweeter box is the original for the enclosures?

Donnie27
07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
My LaScala's start rolling off around 50 Hz in the low end and 17,000 with the K77 tweeter you would think this will not sound good because of the rated frequency response ?

Klipsch is still making the Heresy after 50 + years, they must be doing something right.

The KG4 was last on my list because it will not keep up with my first 3 recommendations, the Forte and Forte II are the best on the list and can be found for $250 - $450 depending on condition.

sweet! I'm still trying to get a bud to measure mine. i"m not talking about Rated, I'm talking about what they can do and at what volume!

Just like Martin Logan's Klipsch has their own unique sound. My bud's Bell's are pushed a Harmon Kardon 930 and they sound nothing like the same speakers in a different Room being pushed by another's Carver. I never heard the second system but their word is good enough for me. Then all of them change as their wood gets older. Some get better while others get worse.

I have lesser speakers in my Optimus Mach1's and Fisher 9v, both are sealed, not very loud but have thunderous Lows and even more impressive Imaging at any volume lower than a 50 Call machine gun:) The B string on my 5 string bass is 30Hz and that's what I use to test them.

Before I go, I'll say it again, one man's sweet sounds are another man's noise. Example, I don't like Grado Cans.

In regards to Pioneer HPM-1500 speakers. Is there a way to tell if the omni-directional super tweeter box is the original for the enclosures?

Check any of the forums like AVS, Audio Karma, Hi-Fi World and etc..... The box/glass tweeter isn't easy to switch out and or fake. THe 1500 and 150's I heard while in the Army in the late 70's and early 80's were everything a run for the money volume and fidelity wise since they appealed to a much larger group than most other speakers, some even costing 3 times as much.

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/hpm0150.html

They've been measured down to 16Hz:up: