PDA

View Full Version : Using laptop as temp HTPC - need to keep screen cool.

SlyMaelstrom
07-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm looking to put together a HTPC once a scrape the cash together, but in the meantime, I'd like to test things like Boxee and stuff on my TV through my laptop. I'm going to dock it in one of the shelves of my entertainment unit and use my TV as the external monitor through HDMI. The only issue I have is heat. My laptop can get very hot if I'm doing a lot of CPU intensive tasks and if I choose to use my laptop docked, I'm most likely going to want the screen closed. I did this with my last laptop pretty regularly and as an effect I ended up causing damage to the inverter on the backlight. I want to avoid that situation with this one, so I'm wondering what the best kind of heat absorption I can put between the keyboard and the screen to protect the screen from getting overheated without insulating my laptop and causing it to retain extra heat inside.

Anyone have an idea for good material for this?

Nanometer
07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I'd get a laptop Cooler. You can pick one up at a big electronics store for about 20-30 bucks. Newegg has plenty if you're more of an online shopper.