PDA

View Full Version : another 'Which headphones?' thread

pb300
07-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Looking to replace my old Aiwa hp-x223 phones with something a bit better. My budget has gone up a bit since the $35 aiwas and I'm looking to spend around $100, $150 if needed.

I'll be using them for everything, music/gaming/movies. I listen to rock mainly with a bit of everything else thrown in. I'm interested in building an amp and may eventually buy a better soundcard and pickup a turntable too.

Requirements:
fit my giant head
keep my ears sweat free
sound better then the crappy aiwas
not interfere with my glasses

So far I've looked up phones such as:
Grado 60i and 80i
AKG k240 mkii
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Leaning towards the AKGs because I like the detachable cable and the way they look. Bring on the suggestions!

I'd also like a pair of bluetooth headphones for work to go with my Droid X but I'll save that for another day.

kiyka
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I saved up and waited for the AKG 702's to go on sale. For about $250 they are the best investment I've ever made.

Look into them, especially if you mean to use the same set for long periods of time. Nothing worse than headphone ache!

Bobsama
08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I saved up and waited for the AKG 702's to go on sale. For about $250 they are the best investment I've ever made.

Look into them, especially if you mean to use the same set for long periods of time. Nothing worse than headphone ache!

+1 Only issue I've had with AKG's is the top band they use; it's not particularly soft (it is real leather, though) so the bumps feel like they dig in a bit. *shrug* Were I AKG, I'd simply change it or sell a soft band as an aftermarket replacement. While I don't wear glasses (and can't attest to headphones interfering with specs), my uncle does and loves his K702s.

zanzabar
08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
i would say get the beyer dynamics 770pro if u can, or go with the audio tecnicas that u have listed

pb300
08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I have $300 to amazon so I could do the pricier pairs if there's that much of a difference, but I would like to spring for an ssd too. Unfortunately its going to take awhile to save up for both because I just moved and got my tuition bill. $1200 for my last 2 classes but luckily I'm done after that.

Bobsama
08-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I have $300 to amazon so I could do the pricier pairs if there's that much of a difference, but I would like to spring for an ssd too. Unfortunately its going to take awhile to save up for both because I just moved and got my tuition bill. $1200 for my last 2 classes but luckily I'm done after that.

I think you'll be happy with K240-II's. ;)

ZenEffect
08-07-2010, 03:59 PM
i have the audiotechnica ath-a700 and they sound amazing and are very very comfortable for long periods of time (use them at work for 8+ hours a day)

the only thing i can say bad about them (and im sure it will apply to the ath-ad700) is that the wings on top that rest on top of your head make a creaking sound when you move around even a little.