PDA

View Full Version : DVD > Zune HD

Chewie_77
07-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I have a DVD I want to transfer over to a Zune HD. It's a music video compilation DVD and I was curious if it would be possible to rip each video into separate video files.

What kind of software am I looking to need? Free/open source is preferred.

Mikey7c8
07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
According to wikipedia:

Video support:
Up to 1080i resolution and frame rate and 14 Mbps bit rate, CBR or VBR for:
H.264, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.1 + B-frames support
WMV Main and Simple Profile, Advanced profile up to Level 2.
MPEG-4 Part 2 Simple Profile up to 4.0 Mbps bit rate

It also mentiones that it supports the mp4 container, which makes your life pretty simple.

For ripping each video seperately, it should be possible. You can backup your dvd with something like dvdshrink, then convert to the appropriate video format with something like [url=handbrake.fr]handbrake.

Handbrake isn't terribly threaded, and if you have Nvidia hardware there's some CUDA encoders out there that'll speed up your encode times significantly.

There are other tools out there that'll allow you to script this but the above is probably as simple as it gets.

turtletrax
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I would recomend Badaboom (a CUDA only GPU accelerated transcoding program) but they still dont support Fermi. I find that especially ridiculous since Fermi didnt exactly sneak up on the market by any means. They are also saying 4Q 2010 as an estimate as they are focusing on their business class software. Dont seem to mind taking your money, but support is not really first on their mind.

Other than that fact it is an awesome program for exactly what you seek. It is super fast (I was getting around 300 frames a second transcoded to a separate target drive) and has a really simple GUI that makes it a snap.

I think it is around $30 last I checked.

zanzabar
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
i like dvdfab (ive been using it for a long time) they have a fully working 14 or 15 day trial. use the zdz to mobile and set it for zunehd and i would go native resolution since the zunes are good at upscaling, and if u do upscale only go for 720p or 480p.

most things that are mix videos have the video on a different track for each one so dvdfab will let u converge or rip each separate. the last movie i ripped was kickass and it was about 8 min total for the extended cut