PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q for anyone with a powdercoated case

mtl_hed
12-30-2003, 12:52 PM
How easy are they to scratch?

I plan on getting a u2-ufo case(black powder) from MountainMods, but I'm not going to spend 400+ on a case if I knick or something and it scratches down to the metal.

Yes, I AM planning on taking it to LAN parties, so it will see some abuse.

Any input welcome,thanks.

danrok
12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Powder coating is durable stuff - stronger than regular paint. It is normally used on industrial equipment.

Rooster
01-08-2004, 08:17 AM
i don't have a powder coated case, but i did have my dirt bike frame powder coated. it cost me over $300, but it has held up great. i race motoX and the only damage to the paint is the scuff marks from my riding boots (which was completly worn to the metal withing the first year of the stock paint). the paint is also guaranteed not to chip. i've been surprised at the durability so far. i think it's overkill on a PC case, but it will be more durable than yo would think.

mtl_hed
01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
here (http://www.mountainmods.com) is the link to the case.

It is 2.0mm thick aluminum with black powder coat. I try not to abuse my stuff when traveling to LAN parties, but it tends to bump around a bit no matter what. Any "scratch" protection is an added plus.

PS - i already ordered the case and it should be here in ~2 days so I'll post back with pics and an idea of my impressions of it(maybe a mini-review).

Oc2theSkY
01-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Good luck carrying that monster to lans.

mtl_hed
01-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Oc2theSkY
Good luck carrying that monster to lans.

Only weighs in at 12.5 pounds. Thats less than the chieftec/alienware cases(steel) that I've seen taken to lans.

It just looks like a beast to carry.

pulverizer
01-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Add some handles or something, maybe straps, would make it a little less hard, plus it already has wheels. You could pull it around like a suitcase :)

mtl_hed
01-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by pulverizer
Add some handles or something, maybe straps, would make it a little less hard, plus it already has wheels. You could pull it around like a suitcase :)

Thats actually my plan. I know they make 90 degree fold out, "spring retracting" handles, but I want to find handles that will do 180 degrees. That way I can mount them under the case and they are only visible when I carry it.

Straps might work also. Would have to find some that would wrap around it.

benonmsn
01-12-2004, 06:04 PM
i have the ufo from mountain mods, extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemly light, nad hase wheels. it is a joy and if it was slightly warmer i would consider mating with it. its an allaround excellent case

mtl_hed
01-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by benonmsn
if it was slightly warmer i would consider mating with it.

:banana: ROTFLMAO

I thought the same thing when I saw the black powdercoated version.

Still not here though, damn ups ground. :mad:

mtl_hed
01-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Case is here!

Note: THIS CASE IS SEXY! I took it out of the UPS box and about messed myself. :slobber:

mtl_hed
01-18-2004, 09:39 PM
CCFLs on:

mtl_hed
01-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Question about taking pics:

I'm sure you noticed my first pic is crystal clear, but the second is blurry as hell. Am I doing something wrong? Only when the UVs are on it causes blur.

Change ISO speed? EV correction? Any help would be greatly aprreciated cause I want good pics of this thing.

Camera is a HP Photosmart 945. I know its not the best but I got it for WAY cheap. Otherwise I would have a G5 or digital rebel.

mtl_hed
01-18-2004, 09:43 PM
one more:
This was about the time that I needed a change of pants.

mtl_hed
01-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Stuff to do still:

*Put both optical drives in
*stealth optical drives
*sleaving/heatshrink all wiring/cables
*UV paint various parts of boards and waterblocks
*mount the pump
*get new fittings for pump
*install relay for pump(thats why the power cable is hanging out of the drive cage)
*sand/paint bezel on LCD to match mirror case

Throw me some more suggestions for it. I wanna hear what you guys think would make it look better and/or perform better.

Nookie420
01-19-2004, 03:53 AM
nice rig, i enjoyed watching requiem for a dream and drinking beer at your house tonight, til your rig took a dump on you. BAHA, 0wn3d and you know it.

Evil_Spork
01-19-2004, 03:54 AM
LOL.... sad when that happens... ohwell. form what u told me a new PSU should fix it.

Evil_Spork
01-19-2004, 03:56 AM
and i hear your sister is quite the hotty?

wanna share some pics of her too?

mtl_hed
01-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Spork
and i hear your sister is quite the hotty?

wanna share some pics of her too?

nookie, you will die a slow and horrible death in the near future because of this. lol.

Yea, I just need a new PSU. Out goes the truepower430. What next?

mtl_hed
01-19-2004, 03:11 PM
this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384718009&skuId=5375453&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01073) is the psu that will replace it.

Is this enough or should I get a bigger one? Powering the following:

8x 120mm fans(4.8w max ea.)
4x 80mm fans(1.6w max ea.)
1x 60mm fan on DPS(not much i'm sure)
2x 14" UV CCFLs
crytalfontz 633usb(can't draw much off of usb)
then all the shiot in my sig

mtl_hed
01-19-2004, 05:54 PM
well crap, it's not my PSU. Its my mobo. I have all of the hardware on a retail Intel board right now. It works just fine ubt I can't OC it till I get a new board.

I am sending the board back to newegg so they will probably just send me back one of the same model(hopefully a rev 2). If they don't however; I want to get a different board as I am not that impressed with the OC ability of it.

Any suggestions? Price really doesn't matter cause this board still costs $200+.

Nookie420
01-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Abit IC7-Max3 or Asus P4P800.

I say get the Abit, slap in your parts, and water cooling, and stick the stock NB cooler on the southbridge, and your set.