PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a watercooling fail?

M.Beier
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi guys; My mind is slightly troubled about a few things here...

I have made this benchtable, which now is at its max for what I wish;
D5-> valve -> Enzotech CPU -> valve -> T30 (RAM) -> valve -> MCW60 -> valve -> 300ml tube res -> Mo-Ra huge-@ss-rad -> D5

Pictures shown a bit below...

Now my issue is... I just realized... EVERYTHING, fittings etc... 10mm ID... except.... Valves appears to be 8mm ID...
How badly does this hit performance, is it a huge concern???
I have seen 48C max temp on GPU @ HD5870 at 1.38vgpu
- My Gulftown has hit insane temperatures, ofcause (impossible to avoid that..)

Water temp has never gone high... Never touched 30C.

And YES; I know a top for the D5 and use two of them would help a little.... But.... 8mm ID for valves, is this a huge concern?
- Unfortunately, I have experienced turbulence in res, so know there is indeed flow...

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4539/img2377o.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4712/img2378.jpg

Polizei
07-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Your watercooling "fail" is that you don't have the reservoir before the pump.

As long as your loop order has [stuff] > reservoir > pump > [other stuff], it's fine. Having [stuff] > pump > [stuff] > reservoir > [stuff] is bad.

M.Beier
07-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Your watercooling "fail" is that you don't have the reservoir before the pump.

As long as your loop order has [stuff] > reservoir > pump > [other stuff], it's fine. Having [stuff] > pump > [stuff] > reservoir > [stuff] is bad.

Makes it harder to fill, however, has no impact on performance.

BeepBeep2
07-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Putting your reservoir anywhere but before your pump results in lower flow for whatever is after the reservoir...

lowfat
07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Putting your reservoir anywhere but before your pump results in lower flow for whatever is after the reservoir...

Any proof to back this up? As far as a I know the only affect that having the reservoir before the pump is for easier bleeding. Loop order should have zero affect on flow.

Conumdrum
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Thats a LOT on the one pump. Restrictive (kinda rad), mem blocks etc etc AND... etc plus all that long tubing.

I also see in many places no none nada clamps for hoses.

The 8mm won't make a huge diff since it's free flow, not like a quick disconnect.

Still, your pushing it buddy.

zanzabar
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
your loop looks fine but u have an aluminum ram cooler u should gotten the mips one

BeepBeep2
07-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Any proof to back this up? As far as a I know the only affect that having the reservoir before the pump is for easier bleeding. Loop order should have zero affect on flow.
Nope.
It just makes sense, but it depends on the way the reservoir is setup I guess.

My MCRES basically depends on gravity to move the water after water has come into it. Flow is...stopped. But I've got my res right before my pump so that's not a problem for me.

zanzabar
07-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Nope.
It just makes sense, but it depends on the way the reservoir is setup I guess.

My MCRES basically depends on gravity to move the water after water has come into it. Flow is...stopped. But I've got my res right before my pump so that's not a problem for me.

that dose not make any sense, the rez feeds everything else and flow is constant, what dose make sense is a huge pressure drop, but there are no pins in the rad so it should not matter if at all

M.Beier
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
your loop looks fine but u have an aluminum ram cooler u should gotten the mips one

Honestly, I didnt realize it was made from aluminiumm, however, I checked up, and you are indeed right.
My water mixture is; 30% coolant (for car engines), and 70% water... (yea, re-used the stuff from my chiller, since I have 25L), havent noticed any impact so far, and have had the CPU block off...
How long lifespan would you give it when doing this? :(
Think the coolant is anti-currosive

BeepBeep2;
Im not following you on that one, flow must be equal, its not only push, but also pull..
But if it was the situation, the heater where the water is cooled down, would be the place you'd want the water to stay the longer I guess... ;)

Polizei
07-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Uh, yes, it does impact it. The pumps we use are meant to have water fed to them via gravity. They aren't designed to suck water into themselves.

Making your pump suck water through a radiator from the reservoir is making the pump work harder than it needs to.

Conumdrum
07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
And filling can burn out a pump if it doesn't have water to cool that teeny ohh so hot ceramic bearing at the end of the impeller.

lowfat
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Uh, yes, it does impact it. The pumps we use are meant to have water fed to them via gravity. They aren't designed to suck water into themselves.

Making your pump suck water through a radiator from the reservoir is making the pump work harder than it needs to.

Not exactly true. Once the pump has been primed it does not matter at all if the loop is sealed as gravity has zero affect then.

zanzabar
07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Honestly, I didnt realize it was made from aluminiumm, however, I checked up, and you are indeed right.
My water mixture is; 30% coolant (for car engines), and 70% water... (yea, re-used the stuff from my chiller, since I have 25L), havent noticed any impact so far, and have had the CPU block off...
How long lifespan would you give it when doing this? :(
Think the coolant is anti-currosive

BeepBeep2;
Im not following you on that one, flow must be equal, its not only push, but also pull..
But if it was the situation, the heater where the water is cooled down, would be the place you'd want the water to stay the longer I guess... ;)

u can have all of the coolant that prevents corrosion all that u want but it will still happen, and i dont think that there is even a protective coating on the aluminum in the corsair block. if u use it for benching every once in a while and drain the loop when u are done then u should be fine but if u run that alot then i would get rid of it. there is a good reason why liquid in cars has gunk in it if u have a steel block and an aluminum rad and why when u flush the system it has a bunch of crap in it. the same thing will happen to your loop but instead of running through large holes in a steel block u are hitting micro pins or channels so they get gunked easy

TJ TRICHEESE
07-11-2010, 08:41 PM
you may have low flow because of all those valves.

M.Beier
07-12-2010, 05:34 AM
u can have all of the coolant that prevents corrosion all that u want but it will still happen, and i dont think that there is even a protective coating on the aluminum in the corsair block. if u use it for benching every once in a while and drain the loop when u are done then u should be fine but if u run that alot then i would get rid of it. there is a good reason why liquid in cars has gunk in it if u have a steel block and an aluminum rad and why when u flush the system it has a bunch of crap in it. the same thing will happen to your loop but instead of running through large holes in a steel block u are hitting micro pins or channels so they get gunked easy

anodized aluminum, that was what I could find on it.

Xanadu
07-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Just because you buy 14 feet of tubing doesn't mean you have to use all 14 feet ;) Joking aside, I don't see anything wrong with it. If there aren't any leaks, then nothing is wrong.

randomhro
07-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Not exactly true. Once the pump has been primed it does not matter at all if the loop is sealed as gravity has zero affect then.

I'm actually inclined to agree. I've never seen anything backing up the res > pump golden rule.

Once the loop is sealed there shouldn't be any pressure drop through the res.

Church
07-12-2010, 07:29 AM
randomhro: "once has been primed", it's true. But you are forgetting, that reservoir mostly is there exactly for easier filling loop purpose (apart from bling factor of course :) ), so if you don't use reservoir for it's actual purpose, why buy/put it on loop at all? If you don't use it, you'd be better off using T-line anyway. Saved money, more compact LC sys.

Kurz
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm actually inclined to agree. I've never seen anything backing up the res > pump golden rule.

Once the loop is sealed there shouldn't be any pressure drop through the res.

Well its a golden rule to keep new comers from messing up their pumps.
If you want to take the risk of running the pump dry sure thats fine for you.

Just don't go advocating it or we'll get many complaints from new guys with burned out pumps.

randomhro
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
randomhro: "once has been primed", it's true. But you are forgetting, that reservoir mostly is there exactly for easier filling loop purpose (apart from bling factor of course :) ), so if you don't use reservoir for it's actual purpose, why buy/put it on loop at all? If you don't use it, you'd be better off using T-line anyway. Saved money, more compact LC sys.

I don't dispute that it makes filling the loop a lot easier, I know first hand from having switched to one from a T-line. What I don't believe though is that it makes a pressure difference once the loop has been filled/closed.

Well its a golden rule to keep new comers from messing up their pumps.
If you want to take the risk of running the pump dry sure thats fine for you.

Just don't go advocating it or we'll get many complaints from new guys with burned out pumps.

Understood, but for some reason everyone says it's because of a pressure difference and not so that newbies can prime their pumps properly.

M.Beier
07-12-2010, 08:03 AM
It was harder to fill....
I used a bit "cheating" though, to prevent pump from runinng dry....
As you've spotted, there are plenty valves... Lets just say; not all liquid came from res.. started pretty much at location for ram cooler... However, certainly not easy to fill...

This config ISNT first watercooling, just first time I have used valves... I had watercooling even before DangerDen was founded...

iandh
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't really worry about it... 8mm isn't huge or anything, but TBH people are WAY too hyped up about tubing diameter. Proper loop design is just so much more important, but people think if they hook up gigantic-ass tubing it's going to actually make a difference. It makes a slightly measurable difference, but it just isn't worth the unrulyness and poor looks of giant fat tubing.

NaeKuh
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM

No flow is uniform thoughout the loop in a closed loop.
It has no impact in the order of placement.

He is absolutely correct guys.
It only makes your life easier when bleeding.