PDA

View Full Version : Compression Fitting won't screw all the way

deepcover
07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I figured if I got BP 3/8ID 5/8OD compression fittings with Primochill 3/8ID 5/8OD tubing, then I would be able to screw the compression fittings down all the way for a flush look. However, it doesn't seem to come close. I can probably force it a little more, but I don't know if that's safe for the tubing or collar. This is my first time using compression fittings. I'm leak testing now and it doesn't leak. See the pics.

http://ks034g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pbErApMMPKYStttZtnxhyt_1G9GDbBrlOEBV2hJX539hJugZ-cKEXGRk3tAefVZBmDNw_Ca3B00BzuAL9yQlrlDLCfsZ48Xu6/IMG_1186.JPG?psid=1

http://ks034g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pbErApMMPKYTJh91oLwsKEcwWVk5FV_3G0_bvHJm2QGIehlu QiMOZtcvfcAvFYjfgWIFtWuOH27HUb87O6TaHikzyMlUQ_ZYf/IMG_1185.JPG?psid=1

Cralle!
07-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Itīs not supposed to be tightened all the way down that way you will cut the tubing and increasing the risk of a leak.

Fingertight is well enough from what i have heard:)

jumper2high
07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Itīs not supposed to be tightened all the way down that way you will cut the tubing and increasing the risk of a leak.

Fingertight is well enough from what i have heard:)

Yup! That's the difference between 12.7mm and 13mm OD tubing - one lets you tighten almost all the way and the other leaves a small gap.

Philwong
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I've no problem tightening my 1/2" OD Tygon all the way for my BP and Fesser compression fittings.

Phil

deepcover
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Yup! That's the difference between 12.7mm and 13mm OD tubing - one lets you tighten almost all the way and the other leaves a small gap.

Oh well. I guess I have to live with it. Thanks guys.

PiLsY
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
If you try it again after a month or so itll go the rest of the way down :). Once the tubing has settled a bit you can compress it a bit more.

gmat
07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Looks good that way, that's how they should be.

Waterlogged
07-08-2010, 09:24 AM

:yepp:

I should also point out that not all batches of tubing are going to be exactly the same size or thickness, some are going to be a bit thinner than others which will allow someone else that is using the same tubing to tighten theirs just a little bit further. Nevertheless, finger tight with all compressions is all you need.

deepcover
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM

I should also point out that not all batches of tubing are going to be exactly the same size or thickness, some are going to be a bit thinner than others which will allow someone else that is using the same tubing to tighten theirs just a little bit further. Nevertheless, finger tight with all compressions is all you need.

Thanks for the help! New builds are exciting. :up:

wesley
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM

+1

Finger tight is best. Don't over do it.

Wes

Johnny87au
07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, im using the 3/8 5/8 compressions with DD 3/8 5/8 tubing and always thought if it was safe or not, cheers