PDA

View Full Version : does the vmem chip have OV protection like the vcore does

qwerty57
08-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Ive heard that if you go over the 2.05 on vcore the OV protection won't let the computer boot does the vmem chip used to overclock have this or if you go to far bye-bye agp and mem controllers??

wheresthebeaver
08-21-2002, 01:14 PM
my kx7 does 2.17 vcore before it locks up or wont boot.i think the overvoltage protection must vary board to board?not sure if it applies to memory voltage though sorry :toast:

Marci
08-22-2002, 02:28 AM
Definitely varies from board to board. On my first KX7-333, the OVP kicked in at just over 1.95v. On my current board, it goes straight up to 2.2 no problem. AFAIK, there is no OVP on the vmem but DDTUNG & Icee will be the guys to ask...

Player0
08-22-2002, 06:13 AM
The AGP is OV protection enough ;) Man you raise that too much, and blam, instant instability with the AGP.

Its funny, I can run DOS memory testers (GoldMem) with the highest VMem settings and get no errors. I watercool my ram, so I had the Vmem cranked, had some crazy ram timings with Corsair PC3000 (2-2-2 CL2 1T) and they worked perfectly at like 210mhz.

Unfortunately, it took alot of Vmem for that to be stable. And it wouldnt even come close to booting in to windows because the AGP kept failing at that voltage. Wish I could seperate AGP from that, I'd have some insane ram timings :P