PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what to play

SoulsCollective
07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
After long holding the position that PC > all, and annoying several of my friends who own consoles, I have obtained a free Playstation 3 as part of a promotion run by Sony in selling TVs. Controllers make me rage with their imprecision, and I still am utterly bemused by anyone voluntarily playing an FPS title on a console, but I have been told that consoles do lend themselves well to certain types of gameplay.

I therefore require suggestions as to what is actually good. I will rage, hard, at shooters, I dislike games that consist mostly of QTEs (PUSH BUTTON TO NOT DIE), and being a musician means "guitar games" are just irritating.

Suggestions?

zanzabar
07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
3d dot game hero is great, its like the good zeldas (pre 3d/n64), and the ratchet and clank games. i also liked GOW1/2 (god of war) i havnt played the 3rd yet but its supposed to be good and u can get the 1st 2 in HD on 1 ps3 disk.

Ket
07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
MGS4, Wet, Uncharted 2, Dantes Inferno. To name but a few of the best.

damha
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
FIFA2010 I bought a PS3 to play only that game.

Granted, I do have lots of other friends who like to play it so if I am tired of losing online I have fun destroying them. Go check gamespot or ign for top rated games if you are looking for single player stuff.

ExodusC
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I have been told that consoles do lend themselves well to certain types of gameplay.
This is true. Some games play strangely on a PC due to keyboard/mouse controls, but play great on a console. The best example I can think of is Assassin's Creed-- I can't really imagine trying to play it on a PC, it seems like it would be awkward.

That being said, Assassin's Creed was amazing, if you want a game that has a good story. I'm currently working on the second game.

Bayonetta (while very over-the-top) has pretty amazing gameplay. It's like God of War (I've never played the series, but I've heard they're all good). Unfortunately, the PS3 port is plagued by poor framerate at times, ridiculously long load times (I believe now that you can install it, this is alleviated some), and overall poor image quality compared to the Xbox 360 version.

zanzabar
07-06-2010, 07:16 PM
u mean the ps3 vershion of bayonetta right, there is no 360 god of war, they have their own GOW gears of war but gears is bad and a different kind of game.

on AC its better on the pc, with the 1st one i used the KB/M and it played fine i even liked that better than the 360 controller that i used on the second one.

ExodusC
07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
u mean the ps3 vershion of bayonetta right, there is no 360 god of war, they have their own GOW gears of war but gears is bad and a different kind of game.
Huh? I think you misunderstood, or maybe my post wasn't very clear. I didn't mean God of War is on the Xbox 360, I mean that the Bayonetta PS3 port is not as good as the Xbox 360 version. They've patched some of the problems with the PS3 version, but overall, it's better on the Xbox 360.

on AC its better on the pc, with the 1st one i used the KB/M and it played fine i even liked that better than the 360 controller that i used on the second one.
I guess to each his own. To me I'm more comfortable with a controller playing Assassin's Creed.

zanzabar
07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
ac2 dose not allow for analogue while climing and running so i found the wasd ok, and combat i could change targets quicker. it dose feel strange though when u 1st use it

ExodusC
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
ac2 dose not allow for analogue while climing and running so i found the wasd ok, and combat i could change targets quicker. it dose feel strange though when u 1st use it
I'm still getting used to the Assassin's Creed 2 controls compared to the first game, the locking system is a little different.

Then again, with the ton of new features added in the second game, it feels almost like a different game entirely.

SoulsCollective
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Re God of War series - I have seen some of my mates playing this, and it seems to mostly consist of QTEs. Push-button-to-not-die games irritate me greatly - was I just getting the wrong impression from the brief excerpts I watched?

Re Uncharted - It's a shooter. Thanks, but no thanks - I've tried shooters on consoles before, and in order to save my sanity I have to put the controller down and go calm down with some actual FPS action on PC.

Ass Cred I'll look into, but Ubi is not making me happy lately with ridiculous DRM schemes.

ExodusC
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Re God of War series - I have seen some of my mates playing this, and it seems to mostly consist of QTEs. Push-button-to-not-die games irritate me greatly - was I just getting the wrong impression from the brief excerpts I watched?
Oh, no, from what I've been told this is exactly what God of War is, for the most part (at least the third game).

Bayonetta has some of this, but I don't think it's to the degree of God of War.

Ass Cred I'll look into, but Ubi is not making me happy lately with ridiculous DRM schemes.
Yeah, unfortunately the PC versions of Assassin's Creed (at least the second?) have ridiculous DRM. I guess that's one benefit of the console versions, no DRM.

zanzabar
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
GOW has press events for cut scenes but most of it is action adventure like, ratchet and clank future 1/2 and 3d dot hero are good games for what the ps3 is about

masterg
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Just Cause 2 is pretty sweet. its like a mix of Crysis and GTA set to a massive island in the south pacific

Trembledust
07-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Re Uncharted - It's a shooter. Thanks, but no thanks - I've tried shooters on consoles before, and in order to save my sanity I have to put the controller down and go calm down with some actual FPS action on PC.

Ok the God of War games are in essence button mashers with quick time events but its pretty damn fun. Bayonetta...unless u like Devil May Cry / Ninja Gaiden type gameplay I'd avoid it in your case.

Asssassin's Creed 2 u may like as its basically a platformer with fighting that does require u to time your button presses vs. mashing buttons. The DRM isn't as big of an issue on the consoles. That's why i've started buying any UBisoft game on console vs pc just to avoid their DRM scheme.

Infamous is actually a good game. You may like some driving games too. Truth be told. Mod Nation is really fun. The customization is really really good.

Trembledust
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh, no, from what I've been told this is exactly what God of War is, for the most part (at least the third game).

Bayonetta has some of this, but I don't think it's to the degree of God of War.

Yeah, unfortunately the PC versions of Assassin's Creed (at least the second?) have ridiculous DRM. I guess that's one benefit of the console versions, no DRM.

Oh God of War is definately a button masher...all 3 installments...but it does have quick time events and there is some timing involved to counter attacks but basically its a button masher. Damn good IP though.

Bayonette is a button masher like i stated in the sense of Devil May Cry / Ninja Gaiden. Your fingers will be throbbing after u play that game. Good game though.

There is DRM on consoles but its not as idiotic as Ubi's system on pc.