PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking DreamCatcher AM3

jedihobbit
07-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Okay for all of you Xtreme overclockers....didn't know where to post this as this is going to be grandma's cookie and milk mild. So me where to put it so I won't feel so noobish! :shrug:

As this build has been running for a few days ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254446 ), guess it is time to play! :wink:

For whatever suckie reason all of my overclocking notes for the 785G & 955BE have gone to the nether world of scattered electrons. :( So it looks like I’ll be starting over from memory, which is a total joke. :eek: :rolleyes: Also add to the fact that I’m now running 4 x 1GB of ram as opposed to the original 2 x 1GB.

Anyway here are the big three in this attempt……

Mobo: MSI 785GM-E65
CPU: PII X4 955 w/ Cuplex XT di
Memory: F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI

With this sitting in the system….

GPU: XFX GTX 285 w/ EK-FC285 GTX Block

Luckily I do have some screen shots but it doesn’t show me all of the settings but will play from there. With the 4GB I would thinks the mem controller would need a bit more juice, just can’t remember which that is in bios. CPU to NB voltage or just the NB voltage?

Guess the best place to start would be with the multi and everything else at stock! I’ll get back later, so if you’ve got suggestions please bring ‘em on!

aythrea
07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Here are my notes. They're not great. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245494 I did manage to tighten my timings up a bit. I also never got the time to sit down and find a stable 4.0ghz 24/7 oc. I did learn that at 3.9, my machine will run for about a week, and then restart itself at night. And this is what my settings are now.

Hope it helps!

jedihobbit
07-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks, this week's schedule has playing pretty much shot! :( Not sure what I did last night, but my one and only attempt in this setup wouldn't boot! :shrug:

Oh well back to the drawing board! :rofl::ROTF:

aythrea
07-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Start slow. 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 are easy to get on the multiplier. After 3.8, stability issues start to rear their ugly head. I'm at a point now where I'm more inclined to oc with the FSB as that gets both the CPU and the memory ocd.

jedihobbit
07-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Well hope I remember what I did different as is shown in my out of date sig I had it "stable" @ 3.7GHz (OCCT & Prime) on air. Do have some screen shots of S & Gs doing a 3.9ish at 1.5V on air. (1M run of Hypre Pi) :rofl:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/jedihobbit/Kermit%20v3-5/oc%20screens/OCCtr18x2181480v1MHPiSM.jpg

aythrea
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
i learned with mine that 1.5 is usually where my temps spike. I can't have high temps internally because my environment changes a lot. Right now it's about 75 in here. It's been down to 65 and as high as 88 in here.

jedihobbit
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Even though this is now water cooled not sure I'd want to consistantly run at 1.5v either. ;) Wife has me going too many directions so it will have to be next week before I can start. She's supposed to be going out of town.......:clap:

aythrea
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
She's supposed to be going out of town.......:clap:

:up:

jedihobbit
07-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Well the major money "heated discussion" has occured for the big hit I did on the savings account and it wasn't as bad as anticipated. But the cats did run and hide!! :shocked: :rofl: :ROTF:

However I need to get off the ars and get my FS thread up as I still have a "Bill me later" from the egg sitting out there for a MSI NF980 and 4GB of Trident! :eek:

My notes are gone and my memeory shot so it looks like I'll have to rely on yours aythrea!! :up:

aythrea
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Like yours, mine is a work in progress. I'm still trying to nail out 4.0ghz with my sig machine. I get close, but I often end up with a system that will restart itself at an indeterminate time frame. Some times it's stable for a week, other times it's stable for an hour. If you find a good combination of settings, let me know. I'll do the same as I tinker through various options.

jedihobbit
07-08-2010, 03:08 AM
As I remember when in the other system 4.0MHz was a pipe dream. From what I've read around various sites the 955 doesn't (even on water) like it much above 3.8. :shrug: :(

Sheet metal work on "yet to named" looks to take a bit of pref right now but as stated hope to start tinkering next week! ;)

aythrea
07-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Speaking of random reboots. >.< Right in the middle of my TF2 game.

jedihobbit
07-09-2010, 03:33 AM
:bsod::censored: That sucks!!

aythrea
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
How's your OC going?

jedihobbit
07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
It ain't!! :( Home life has gotten in the way!! Again hope to get something going next week end........as well as still trying to get some sheet metal work done on the other build!

Sorry! :yawn:

aythrea
07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
It ain't!! :( Home life has gotten in the way!! Again hope to get something going next week end........as well as still trying to get some sheet metal work done on the other build!

Sorry! :yawn:

Man. That sucks. Hate seeing projects fall to the wayside. :( I look forward to seeing your results.