PDA

View Full Version : WC setup minus RADIATOR?!

Çhrist0ph
12-29-2003, 09:40 PM
I am interested in building my first watercooling stup for my AXP rig. I have heard that you can do without a radiator entirely and just use a large (2-3 gallon) resevoir. Has anybody tried this before? what kind of performance can I get out of it? If it is functional ,it could shave off quite a bit of the cost for me.

sandman
12-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Doesn't work, eventually your temps climb up high and you overheat.

Now, if you only use your Pc for 30 minute bursts.......

But, just get a heatercore for $20, make a shroud, and add a fan.

total cost including the fan would be like $35.

l00b3r
12-29-2003, 11:26 PM
it was calculated to be something similar to a small pool where it would be passivly effective but yet too impractical.

Not worth it, do as stated, go get a cheap heatercore :).

and damn $USD Prices...

/me pats $AUD :)

-Matt

Karnivore
12-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Well you could get decent cooling without a Rad, would require making a bong/swamp cooler, you would end up below ambient on the water temps, although they don't work well in humid weather...

Hell-Fire
12-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Yeh....as they all said, its possible, but hella lot of work to keep anything near decent temps after a bit of time has gone by.

There are lots of things you can do versus sticking a rad in your rig....grab an old ac unit and shove the element in a cooler and fill it with water and antifreeze....works great.

But, the best thing really is to go to AutoZone and ask to look over their heatercores and choose one that works for you...then stick some fans on it.

I sure as hell didnt spend $100 on a BIX, but instead got a heatercore that holds 2 120mm fans that outperforms the BIX...and is half the price of the BIX with the fans included...and they werent cheap fans.

Çhrist0ph
12-30-2003, 08:13 PM
can a waterchiller be made out of the parts from a mini-fridge like this?

http://r2.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp/rmivars%3ftarget=_top?product_id=1863497&sourceid=0100000012231186302498

sandman
12-30-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm geussing that fridge uses pelts to cool, so no.

I would advise looking for a compressor.condesnsor whole unit on Ebay.

If you want a waterchiller, check out the phase change forum.

AcEmAsTr
12-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by sandman

Now, if you only use your Pc for 30 minute bursts.......

But, just get a heatercore for $20, make a shroud, and add a fan.

total cost including the fan would be like $35.

^^ ditto

It would be good for benching if u put ice in but wouldnt last long

Tedinde
12-31-2003, 02:21 PM

Unless you have a large res. My 1.6a that's in the basement f@H @ 2.9ghz. I keep it at 1.87v. watercooled. I've been waiting for the last year for the SNDS to show. Or mostly disprooving it.

But i've got a danner mag drive 7 in a 250 old fish tank i dont use.

For benching when it was 226watt pelted, i use to just use a 5 gallon bucket with ICE.

sandman
12-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Even if you have a large res it doesn't work that well......I mean if you keep adding Ice then yea it'll be fine, but for 24/7 running the water will warm up eventually.

Unless you have like 20ft of copper tubing going to the res....