PDA

View Full Version : Feds Crack down on Piracy

LiquidFiction
06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Federal authorities announced that they had seized domain names from nine websites engaged in the "criminal theft of American movies and television." The websites include TVShack.net, PlanetMoviez.com, ThePirateCity.org and Ninjavideo.net. Combined, the sites drew 6.7 million visitors a month, authorities said.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-piracy-20100701,0,2871905.story

h0bbes
06-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Ninjavideo just has the links right ? It doesn't really host anything itself?

Jowy Atreides
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Now all they have to do is throw 30% of the population in jail :)

LiquidFiction
06-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Ninjavideo just has the links right ? It doesn't really host anything itself?

Correct.. Ninjavideo uses links. And Divx. The actual content is hosted on Megaupload.

Yvese
06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Might as well arrest the majority of the US :rofl:

NKrader
06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Correct.. Ninjavideo uses links. And Divx. The actual content is hosted on Megaupload.

Gawwww.. U.S. nazis.. i dislike our gov approach to piracy..

what happens when libraries start hosting online? as some are starting to do with books, and most have new albums, and older movies.. lol hows that gona work?

i think somones head is gona explode.. then RIAA VS. US Libraries :D:rofl:

WeStSiDePLaYa
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
move them out of the states.

zanzabar
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
move them out of the states.

ICANN is in the US so there is nothing that u can really do about the US gov taking over a domain.

noroger
06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
*checks if his SSH tunnel is running*

Serra
06-30-2010, 07:15 PM
That's actually a very mature approach to the problem. They're not suing anyone for $2,348,205, they're not filing criminal charges... they're just stopping the piracy itself. I applaud the technique.

Computurd
06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
hhmmmm, i can see that. i can see both sides. at least they arent suing little old ladies and :banana::banana::banana::banana:. but then again if they had any brains by now they would ifgure out ways to make money off this stuff either way...there is no stopping this, its like prohibition.

570091D
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
That's actually a very mature approach to the problem. They're not suing anyone for $2,348,205, they're not filing criminal charges... they're just stopping the piracy itself. I applaud the technique.

+1

i'm just glad to see the US gov't stepping in, private companies don't have the right to enforce the law in this country so hopefully this will stop the RIAA and MPAA from suing old ladies.

hhmmmm, i can see that. i can see both sides. at least they arent suing little old ladies and :banana::banana::banana::banana:. but then again if they had any brains by now they would ifgure out ways to make money off this stuff either way...there is no stopping this, its like prohibition.

actually, if you look at electronic music, you'll see a new formula for the music business developing. new techno artists make thier money buy selling songs to other artists and dj's and by performing. most of the general public can find the newest techno for free, legally.

Otis11
06-30-2010, 08:23 PM

+1 :up:

metachronos
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
As glad as I am am that people aren't getting sued into oblivion, we have an oil rig gushing thousands of barrels of oil into the coast every day and we're involved in two wars. Something tells me we should concentrate on solving those problems first.

>HyperlogiK<
06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
The oil leak is a priority, but that's like arguing that while there is still rape and murder going on we shouldn't bother with theft.

saaya
06-30-2010, 11:41 PM
makes sense... their goal is prbably to make it too annoying to find proper stream and dl content so people rather buy content...
the funny thing is this... they could hurt piracy 10x more if they would put the same amount of efforts on creating several proper legal portals like hulu where you get free content or pay reasonable fees in an easy hassle free manner... :rolleyes:

if it would be easy and affordable to watch high quality content on a legal portal, would i do it? of course... most people would...
thats something they just dont get... people dont WANT to pirate because they like it or think its cool... or because they are EVIL or whatever hahah damn corporate idi0ts...

naokaji
06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
ICANN is in the US so there is nothing that u can really do about the US gov taking over a domain.

There is much more to it than just taking down the domain names:

Officials also seized assets from 15 bank, investment and advertising accounts and executed residential search warrants in North Carolina, New York, New Jersey and Washington

But then of course that doesn't mean running the sites from elsewhere would help much:

The crackdown, which involved 100 agents working in 11 states and the Netherlands

sutyi
06-30-2010, 11:49 PM
As glad as I am am that people aren't getting sued into oblivion, we have an oil rig gushing thousands of barrels of oil into the coast every day and we're involved in two wars. Something tells me we should concentrate on solving those problems first.

Those eat up money this makes money so this takes priority. /sarcasm.

Stukov
06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Not to make this a political discussion, but....I am sure glad our government (FBI) is spending money, resources, and man power to investigate, seize, and prosecute copyright infringement on behalf of the media conglomerate rather than securing our borders/ports or (for the FBI in particular) investigating epidemic of kidnappings in the South West.

Johnny87au
07-01-2010, 12:51 AM
man, feds will never stop warez, plain and simple...

XSAlliN
07-01-2010, 04:09 AM
The fact, that piracy is still standing - is not related to authorities being "powerless towards resolving this so called problem" but rather "voluntary ignorance" for the eye of the people. Piracy is still balancing "some things (like poverty)" and being as it is (not a physical resource, but virtual one) they tend to ignore it... Why would they do that? Cause it's easier that way... Since prosperity towards all people, as in "real balance in the real world" - now that's real hard to accomplish... So, with the help of current technology and the major corporations that could get a profit even from poverty, they can make "most people" happy...

As in: you don't have to get a 3000 $ audio equipment and 300$ music content to pleasure your ears with music, or occasional parties... cause now - you can get a 50$ MP3 player + a pear of desktop speakers (or simply connecting them to a PC if you own one) and achieve "a somehow similar result"... Same goes for video content, which could involve a Plasma TV, a high - end Blu-Ray player + "real speakers"... compared to a cheap DVD player or a PC...

By doing so, they lower the standards and make the content available towards most people...

RIAA or solutions like the one from this topic - is just a reminder that they still have "some control" so people won't go to far (like totally ignoring Music, Movies & Games Market)... It's not like they banned access to PoliceBay, Demoniac or all other available sources...

theystolemyname
07-01-2010, 04:31 AM
In the implausible scenario where the anti-piracy folks mostly or totally eliminate piracy, sales of media would likely increase only very slightly if at all. Afterward, the music, movie and game industries would collectively throw a banana-fit over just having lost the best free advertisement for their products that they ever had as sales for all but the most mainstream products plummet.

slaveondope
07-01-2010, 04:33 AM
:buddies:his private torrent source

I dont agree with anyone making profit off of such activity.

Ket
07-01-2010, 05:22 AM
For every "illegal" site "captured", theres 10 more that pop up. Lets all focus on moving to Mars instead :D

Aerwidh
07-01-2010, 05:52 AM
For every "illegal" site "captured", theres 10 more that pop up. Lets all focus on moving to Mars instead :D

Nah, we should explore the oceans first. Still tons of stuff we have almost no clue about, like what's going on down in the Mariana Trench (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench)

XSAlliN
07-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Am I the only one around here, with the mind control chip broken?! :stick: Helooooo Heloooo Helooooo!? Anybody outhere.... outhere.... outhere.... ?!

Just an echo I guess...

July 1, 7:02 PM

Login out.

acidpython
07-01-2010, 08:05 AM
makes sense... their goal is prbably to make it too annoying to find proper stream and dl content so people rather buy content...
the funny thing is this... they could hurt piracy 10x more if they would put the same amount of efforts on creating several proper legal portals like hulu where you get free content or pay reasonable fees in an easy hassle free manner... :rolleyes:

if it would be easy and affordable to watch high quality content on a legal portal, would i do it? of course... most people would...
thats something they just dont get... people dont WANT to pirate because they like it or think its cool... or because they are EVIL or whatever hahah damn corporate idi0ts...

Couldn't agree more, I don't watch much TV but there is BBC iplayer and 4oD where i'm from that suits a lot of my needs. However sometimes BBC iplayer takes too long to get HD content up so I end up downloading it off TPB.

Steam is doing wonders against pirating in my opinion especially with offering games cheaply enough so that people will buy them.

Ket
07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Nah, we should explore the oceans first. Still tons of stuff we have almost no clue about, like what's going on down in the Mariana Trench (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench)

Its a big dark hole, likely with simple bacterial life. Mystery solved.

Sn0wm@n
07-01-2010, 09:50 AM
canada is full of win on that subject

SexyMF
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I tire of 'never win' argument against proactively doing something. The people implementing these measures are not stupid. They know that you never win for all time. It is always about reducing accessibility.

If you can find the 'ten more sites that pop up' then so can they.

The internet free for all landscape is changing. The thin premise that you don't 'host' anything isn't going to last.

Currently you just type anything into Google (or simliar - but most people use Google) and you get results. That will change soon enough, helped by the fact that most people just use Google as their search engine.
Now, you can argue that there are newsgroups etc, but most people never use them or even know they exist.

And I can already feel your leet vein pulsing as you tell me that you can get things via google, proxies, or usenet, or , or....or...or. Most users are not leet (probably not you either)

antiacid
07-01-2010, 12:52 PM
oh noes, the feds took "piratedomain.com", what shall we do? Certainly not use "piratedomainz.com, piraatedomain.com, domainpirate.com, piratedoomain.com" and so on.

Sheesh, this is starting to look like the "war on drugs" where they burn 1 field while producers are creating 3 more at the exact same time. Good publicity to show that they're doing something, not very effective overall.

panzerchaos47
07-01-2010, 01:39 PM
So what did the FBI done lately? Caught the 4-chan bomb threat, dancing Israelis and arrest some spies that they found out since 2000. lol They need to admit that they can't find real terrorist or spies.

Sn0wm@n
07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
So what did the FBI done lately? Caught the 4-chan bomb threat, dancing Israelis and arrest some spies that they found out since 2000. lol They need to admit that they can't find real terrorist or spies.

and you need to teach em how to do it properly

phelan1777
07-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Unless they shut down Megauploads, RapidShare and other hosting sites, just taking 6 sites down isn't going to have any real impact.

Then again other sites are constantly going live, just not as well known.

munim
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
I personally don't know any other site like ninjavideo. Damn I'm screwed, good job FBI!:clap:

I'll have to use DDL blogs using rapidshare, which I don't find as convenient.

red
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Hmm, why then does it take so long for ICANN to shut down canadian/russian pharmacy spam?

zanzabar
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Hmm, why then does it take so long for ICANN to shut down canadian/russian pharmacy spam?

most spam is from hijacked or spoofed dns, u just have to outgoing for spam so its rather hard to stop from taking the domain. having the domain taken and then having the dns redirect to nothing or a site saying that it was taken and u should not pirate stuff, is as easy as getting them to change a dns entry.

i like this approach, u dont sue any1 or make bad PR u just make it more difficult to get it and once its easier to buy somehting than to dload it illegal (or atleast in a gray area deeding on what it is) people will generally take the legally preferred rout in getting content as its easier. or even better maybe the studios will open an ad supported portal for older media that way there is no reason for piracy and its easy to get content.

Biker
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Well that was a resounding success!

TV shack is already back up :rolleyes:

slaveondope
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Well that was a resounding success!

TV shack is already back up :rolleyes:

:rofl::ROTF::clap:

owned666
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
if the FBI just jump start Skynet this will soon ALL be over with