PDA

View Full Version : An interesting solution to Foxconn's suicide problem

dstedman
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Nets? Really?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Foxconn-Suicides-China-Factories-Hon-Hai-Precision,10759.html

Manicdan
06-30-2010, 10:10 AM
must be cheaper than raises.

zads
06-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Foxconn is just trying to expand 'vertically'..
they can open a sweatshop net factory next door

NKrader
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
must be cheaper than raises.

already gave raises..

but amaZIngly that wasnt much of the problem, just the news spewing more nonsence.. :up:

Manicdan
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
already gave raises..

but amaZIngly that wasnt much of the problem, just the news spewing more nonsence.. :up:

i think most of what they do is for fixing bad media rather than the problem. did they every say they will promote a fun working environment?

Jamesrt2004
06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
there suicide rate is tiny compared to rest of china, infact it beats out America's suicide rates... so it's not bad at all. It's just that it's such a big company it is blown out of proportion!

The workers get benefits i will never see in my life ever :/

NKrader
06-30-2010, 10:39 AM
there suicide rate is tiny compared to rest of china, infact it beats out America's suicide rates... so it's not bad at all. It's just that it's such a big company it is blown out of proportion!

The workers get benefits i will never see in my life ever :/

+1 western media constantly filling peoples heads with their opinion.. as if it were fact..

ex2cib
06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
because the only way to commit suicide is to jump off a building...

and i'm laughing at the safety nets as a response

now people might jump off the buildings for fun

WhiteFireDragon
06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
They also asked employees to sign no-suicide contracts...
:ROTF:

so what happens if the employees break the contract? oh yeah, nothing... they'd already be dead...

vintage_guitar
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM

so what happens if the employees break the contract? oh yeah, nothing... they'd already be dead...

They'd die AGAIN. :ROTF:

naokaji
06-30-2010, 12:05 PM

If nothing else it may lead to people killing them self at home or other places out of the public eye instead of at work or in public places which could possibly reduce the amount of negative press about foxconn / china / outsourcing, essentially the same thing as in Bern in Switzerland where they installed safety nets at bridges because they feared the suicides there would have a negative impact on their image if everyone sees it.

Jowy Atreides
06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
If nothing else it may lead to people killing them self at home or other places out of the public eye instead of at work or in public places which could possibly reduce the amount of negative press about foxconn / china / outsourcing, essentially the same thing as in Bern in Switzerland where they installed safety nets at bridges because they feared the suicides there would have a negative impact on their image if everyone sees it.

razor blades are tiny

They did everything except improve the working conditions. The work itself should be made more compelling for the human condition.

NKrader
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
razor blades are tiny

They did everything except improve the working conditions. The work itself should be made more compelling for the human condition.

Please tell me how putting together an ipod or a motherboard could be made more compelling for people?

Also for that matter my job sucks and so do most peoples get over it, that's why they pay you because it sucks and your going to spend most of your life doing it :D

SamHughe
06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
The problem is razor beats net. Jumping is not the only way to commit suicide. I cannot believe how stupid this people are. I mean c'mon! You are holding top positions at big companies and apparently are less intelligent than a sponge.

ElSel10
06-30-2010, 02:28 PM
+1 western media constantly filling peoples heads with their opinion.. as if it were fact..

Have you seen the pictures of the workers where they look like they want to die, and interviews where they basically say the same thing? Sure things are different there, but the info is coming from the workers..

NKrader
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Have you seen the pictures of the workers where they look like they want to die, and interviews where they basically say the same thing? Sure things are different there, but the info is coming from the workers..

Do most people look happy at work?? I don't belive I've ever seen this.

WhiteFireDragon
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM

i loved my old job and what i did. i never spent a day really seeing it as "work" :).

NKrader
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
i loved my old job and what i did. i never spent a day really seeing it as "work" :).

hehe i know that some people do.. but most people dont.. i dont think i have ever liked any of the 10+ jobs ive worked.. they have all been "work" :yepp:

:p:

Kallenator
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
because the only way to commit suicide is to jump off a building...

Agreed, like there aren't any other tall enough buildings around...

According to Mike Rowe, people with dirty jobs are the happiest bunch. :D

Jowy Atreides
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Please tell me how putting together an ipod or a motherboard could be made more compelling for people?

Also for that matter my job sucks and so do most peoples get over it, that's why they pay you because it sucks and your going to spend most of your life doing it :D

By involving employees more in non robotic tasks. Let them express creative freedom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

I've had terrible jobs too man but I changed them and loved them.

Led to promotions in all cases.

tool_462
06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Suicide often goes in massive upward trends among similar populations. Similar to the Despondancy Index, but extrapolated to a population fitting one or a number of correlated variables. It will subside with time. Not sure if it ever got finished or not, but there were plans for a ~$50 million net under the Golden Gate bridge at one point I remember seeing a few years ago.

antiacid
06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
am I the only one who took those nets as a challenge? I really want to jump from the roof into the nets now! It looks so fun :D

Gener_AL (UK)
06-30-2010, 06:36 PM
By involving employees more in non robotic tasks. Let them express creative freedom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

I've had terrible jobs too man but I changed them and loved them.

Led to promotions in all cases.

Fantastic Video, notice the equation at the end, regarding money.
Ironic isnt it.

Relating back to the topic itself. Its possible this is not done at all for workers but for insurance liability? As depressingly stated in this thread already, people will, if they feel need the need, take their lives into their own hands and end it, regardless of how they decide to do this.

People can waffle on about nuclear war, oil spills, asteriods etc.
Cancer, AIDS, etc etc
The biggest threat to life is money in my own humble opinion.
In this era of technology and capability, I believe we can sustain Life without need without a monertary system.
How and when if this ever happens will need alot of systems to halt, and the world to embrace change on a scale that it possibly maybe the only thing that can pull humanity out of its current nose dive.
"Aye"
Certainly is a big IF.

Manicdan
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
The biggest threat to life is money in my own humble opinion.

i agree with this part. the cost of living implys that if you dont earn enough, u cant live. some people take it too literally and decide the cost to live is too great and they dont get to enjoy life

if you have to work 80 hours a week, just to pay rent and food, dont have a family/relationship, its quite easy to just give up on everything, cause well, you feel like you have nothing

id bet a majority of the people feel like they are surviving life, rather than living it.

570091D
06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
hehe i know that some people do.. but most people dont.. i dont think i have ever liked any of the 10+ jobs ive worked.. they have all been "work" :yepp:

:p:

i'm sorry to hear that.

i "work" in a factory, where things could very easily become tedious, however we utilize the japanese TPM method for plant improvement and employee involvement. by involving employees in a continuous imporvement program, you give them the power to improve thier own working conditions. this improves the attitudes of your employees by helping them to better understand the machinery and thier job while giving them rewards for making improvements to the production process and boosting plant production.

foxconn, you listening?

tool_462
06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
i'm sorry to hear that.

i "work" in a factory, where things could very easily become tedious, however we utilize the japanese TPM method for plant improvement and employee involvement. by involving employees in a continuous imporvement program, you give them the power to improve thier own working conditions. this improves the attitudes of your employees by helping them to better understand the machinery and thier job while giving them rewards for making improvements to the production process and boosting plant production.

foxconn, you listening?

I don't know how true it is today but I live near 3M headquarters and I know their lab scientists are (were?) required to spend a certain percentage of their time working on things THEY wanted to try out. Some great products came from that time and I'm sure made the workers happier.

eXa
06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
id bet a majority of the people feel like they are surviving life, rather than living it.

im merely surviving....:mad:

kromosto
06-30-2010, 11:31 PM

No funeral.