PDA

View Full Version : Need cheap hi-fi equipment

metalop1g
06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm a college student and I'd love to get a a little hi-fi setup.

I just want it to be better overall than my razer megalodon and creative gigaworks t40.

http://images.europe.creative.com/images/products/large/16936_1.png
and
http://www.razer.or.kr/zbxe/freeboard/files/attach/images/51/663/012/razer_megalodon.jpg.

Both are plugged into default outputs on my asus p6t6 ws revolution. Really, I'd love to just have a receiver and reputable headphones. A sound card might cost me a little more than I'm willing to spend.

I might be able to put 200$ max. the rest of my paycheck will be for my driver license.

The biggest drawback I see in having a receiver is heat. In my room it's like 28 degrees celcius at the moment... I'd love my equipment not to waste electricity because for me it just means not being able to sleep because it's too hot.

hdmi is not a necessity. in fact, an older receiver that has a great reputation would be nice, since it would probably cost less.:up:

I'm just a little scared of dead standards, even if it sounds really great.

Cables will come from monoprice

I can answer any question:up:

ben333
06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Cables will come from monoprice

I don't know much about monoprice, but I think I've heard they're a good place to buy cables because of the low price? I think for a small hifi, you might want to spend some extra dough on the small amount of cables you need. Correct me if wrong though.

metalop1g
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't know much about monoprice, but I think I've heard they're a good place to buy cables because of the low price? I think for a small hifi, you might want to spend some extra dough on the small amount of cables you need. Correct me if wrong though.

Does extra dough means extra quality? because I probably only need 3' interconnects. I tough monoprice had great stuff, I just recieved a premium 3.5mm cable to plug my speakers into my pc. the gage is huge

ben333
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I may be wrong, it may be unnoticeable, or their cables may be great. I didn't look it up or anything just gave a quick statement. I know hard core audiophiles use silver wire and fancy connectors, etc. Maybe not necessary in this scenario though.

Ch@pS
06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Both are plugged into default outputs on my asus p6t6 ws revolution.

Student budget my ass if you have that board. :D :up:

With a "low budget" system, spending huge amounts of dosh on quality cables doesnt make sense.

My advice(limited though it may be) would be to find a classic Stereo AMP and a set of decent second hand bookshelf speakers.

Something like a 10 - 15 year old NAD Stereo AMP and perhaps some classic Mission bookshelves? I've got no clue what the second hand audio market in the US looks like, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something a good combo for that money. Heck even 20+ year old NAD + Mission sounds far better than a Creative Gigaworks set.

Alternatively if you want to go the Headphone route, a pair of Sennheiser's will do wonders. HD515 or HD555 if they're in budget? Otherwise look to Beyerdynamics or AKG. Then for amplification, look at post #2 of this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251884) thread. Those little Dot Headphone amps have me drooling. :eek:

Donnie27
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Does extra dough means extra quality? because I probably only need 3' interconnects. I tough monoprice had great stuff, I just recieved a premium 3.5mm cable to plug my speakers into my pc. the gage is huge

I absolutely agree with post #5! The second hand and outlet markets in the US are GREAT! People are selling great stereo equipment and getting lower quality surround sound receivers. Right now both of my systems (in my Computer Room and my Den's HTPC) are running two receivers. One for movies and the other for Stereo Music sound with brawny amps and REAL watts. Again, a JVC Hi Power and Harmon Kardon 730 twin AMP!

Look for something like the HPM 40's (small but sweet) or some of the 3 way floor standers. Stay away from modern towers made for only Mid Range duties as they are weak without a dedicated Sub. I'd rather build my own speakers:up:

pb300
06-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Thrift store, goodwill, yard sales, etc. are going to be your friend. I picked up a set of Sanyo 10" 3-way floor speakers ~10 years back at the flea market for $35 and snagged a Technics surround receiver out of my friends garage. Does a good job with whatever I throw at it and I don't need a separate sub. Technic and a set of Sony bookshelfs will eventually replace my logitech surround set on my computer once I move (and the pioneer receiver will get to come out of storage). Name brands and high prices are not necessary for a decent system. Look around for places that refurbish old speakers too. My brother bought a set of pioneer 15" 4 ways for $90 from a guy in our hometown. He replaces all the surrounds and rewires everything to get them working as new.

Don't worry about old tech and defunct standards if you're only going stereo. I would say you're better off spending the bulk of your budget on the headphones as you may notice a bigger difference there. And headphones don't bother neighbors....

Hell Hound
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Nakamichi :D:up::yepp::shocked::clap:

Right now I'm using a X-FI FORTE and pioneer 600w reciever,2x12 inch JBL in Series and 5 bookshelf's.

mezcal
07-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Completely agree with Ch@ps assuming you don't mind using your computer as the source.

Recent Craigslist buys currently installed in my garage:

Adcom GFA-545 for $100.
Clean pair of JBL L166 Horizon speakers for $15 (pity the fool.) Took them directly to the local JBL service center and had him check them out re-foam the woofers for another $100.

Connect the amp to your computer with this (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2)(different lengths available.)
Add speaker wire as needed. (16 gauge is usually plenty, 14 gauge for runs over 50 feet, 12 gauge is really overkill almost everywhere)

Don't forget to turn the computer volume down before you push the amps power button :)

metalop1g
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Well I think i have a good starting point now. I got a reciever and speakers for free.

yamaha natural sound stereo receiver RX-530
Tannoy T-8

I just need to hook them up under my pc desk, but I'm kind of worried about the load it'll pull and the effects on my pc stability

Hell Hound
07-02-2010, 04:32 AM
I can't see why it would effect the pc.:shrug:

Donnie27
07-02-2010, 05:07 AM
Well I think i have a good starting point now. I got a reciever and speakers for free.

yamaha natural sound stereo receiver RX-530
Tannoy T-8

I just need to hook them up under my pc desk, but I'm kind of worried about the load it'll pull and the effects on my pc stability

What, from Vibration? Always keep speakers out in the open, never under or behind anything. Computers aren't affected by what they're out put to.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/AFR/RX530.pdf

I liked the one I heard and don't anyone reading the specs be fooled by the 50 watts per channel rating. Those are a real 50 watts and not some BS PMO crap or one channel measured without regard for distortion or noise! A pawnshop near me sold one for $50. Once you connect a receiver and real speakers to your computer, you'll never go back to computer multimedia speakers ever. Also, these old receivers come with EXCELLENT Headphone outs that even Audiophiles are missing out on as they over spend of mini can amps LOL! Receivers aren't just for massive Speakers. Most of us using them know that they are "Da Bomb" for cans as well.

Taskforce
07-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Onkyo receivers are known to be the best.

TX-SR308:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR308-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278081024&sr=8-1

Donnie27
07-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Onkyo receivers are known to be the best.

If you only need stereo the TX-8255 fits the bill.

There are no one size fits all best IMHO. Whatever sounds best to that user is the "best".:D My best might not be someone else's best at all. Yes, Onkyo does make Kick-@SS Receivers and Integrated Amps though:up: I like their integrated stereo amps better than their receivers.

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

Taskforce
07-02-2010, 08:13 AM
There are no one size fits all best IMHO. Whatever sounds best to that user is the "best".:D My best might not be someone else's best at all. Yes, Onkyo does make Kick-@SS Receivers and Integrated Amps though:up: I like their integrated stereo amps better than their receivers.

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

Ok so? does the one in your link fit the bill for 200 bucks? stop trolling!

Donnie27
07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Ok so? does the one in your link fit the bill for 200 bucks? stop trolling!

Maybe you need to learn WTF Trolling means:rofl::ROTF:

metalop1g
07-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I can't see why it would effect the pc.:shrug:

Well last time I plugged something into my room (a printer) while my i7 was folding, the breaker (or it might have been the ups) tripped and I lost my WU. Not a big deal, but I'm not a fan of stress shutdown.

Also, today is the day. I'm back from camping, so after I take a good shower I'm gonna hook it up IN THE OPEN, not under my table:yepp:

I need to stop at the pawnshop this week too:up:

Hell Hound
07-04-2010, 07:49 AM
If a printer made you overload then you def need to calculate what you will be drawing and - whats not needed.:shocked:

How many sockets do you have,don't plug it to ups.A room usually has 2 two socket electrical outlets,you can pull about 1500w from each.:up:

metalop1g
07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Well only my i7 is on the UPS. the home network and the screens and the audio (creative gigaworks) are on a belkin 8 outlet bar, all in the same wall outlet. That"s a lot less than 1500w...

pb300
07-04-2010, 10:24 AM
If you live in an apartment its more than likely the wiring that's causing your problem. In my last apartment, if I wiggled the outlet my pc was plugged into, the light in the dining room (other side of apartment) would flicker.

Donnie27
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Well only my i7 is on the UPS. the home network and the screens and the audio (creative gigaworks) are on a belkin 8 outlet bar, all in the same wall outlet. That"s a lot less than 1500w...

I'm not sure but it might come down to amps as well.

Hell Hound
07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes 100 amps for residential 200 or more for business.If you pull more than a 100 you will pop the fuse/breaker.

Donnie27
07-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes 100 amps for residential 200 or more for business.If you pull more than a 100 you will pop the fuse/breaker.

That depends though. On the factory floor isn't the same as the Break Room or one of the inner offices. Our breaker would trip if all of the appliances are turned on, yes there's about 10 but hey:)

pb300
07-10-2010, 10:19 AM
If you pull more than a 100 you will pop the fuse/breaker.

100 amps would be the service run to the house, and then its broken down from there. I think 15 amps is a normal size breaker for wall outlets, which is ~1800 watts. Also keep in mind that more then one outlet will be hooked to each breaker.

NKrader
07-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure but it might come down to amps as well.

Amps=Watts*Volts

:shrug:

and i run alot more speakers and such off one plug in my appartment. not even close to tripping a breaker.. what else is on that breaker?

lkiller123
07-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Amps=Watts*Volts

and i run alot more speakers and such off one plug in my appartment. not even close to tripping a breaker.. what else is on that breaker?

Isn't Amps=Watts/Volts?:confused:

metalop1g
07-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Maybe the UPS made the breaker trip when it tripped? anyways I'm still fiddling with cables, I had no experience whatsoever with regular speaker wire.

TJ TRICHEESE
07-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Amps=Watts*Volts

Just what i was thinking but its P=I*V which is watts=Amps*Volts

Hell Hound
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM
100 amps would be the service run to the house, and then its broken down from there. I think 15 amps is a normal size breaker for wall outlets, which is ~1800 watts. Also keep in mind that more then one outlet will be hooked to each breaker.

max 3k- per room,unless you have 20 amp fuses then close it's closer to 5k.:up: