PDA

View Full Version : First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition RULES

Holst
12-29-2003, 12:47 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=327947

First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition

Welcome to the first First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition

This post will include final rules, costs, catogorys and prizes.

The graphics card we have chosen to use is the ECS Xabre 200.
This card has been chosen as its relatively cheap, fast and something a little unusual.

The challenge is to get the highest 3dmark2001 score you can in your chosen class.

The cards will be purchased by Saaya and will be shipped out too all competitors from him, cards not purchased through saaya are not eligable for the competition.
The competition is now closed to new entrys... however we may run another should there be enough interest.

Results will be listed with our own version of the madonion ORB based around madmark, this is kindly being coded by Richbastard and is hosted on mantion's server.
The site is allready running as beta and I will update this post with the link as soon as its avalable.

CLASSES.

We have chosen to have several catagories so that everybody has a class they can compete in.

CLASS 1 - Xtreme class.
Anything goes in this class, any CPU, any cooling, any mods.

CLASS 2 - Socket A under 2.3gig.
Any Socket A CPU running under 2.3ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), any cooling.

CLASS 3 - Pentium 4 under 2.8gig
Any Pentium4 processor (not EE) running under 2.8ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), any cooling.

Class 4 - SocketA Aircooled.
Any Socket A CPU running under 2.3ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), AIR cooling only.

Class 5 - Pentium4 Aircooled
Any Pentium4 processor (not EE) running under 2.8ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), AIR cooling only.

Class 6 SocketA Watercooled.
Any Socket A CPU that is Water/Air cooled, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), Water cooling only on graphics card.

Class 7 Pentium 4 Watercooled.
Any Pentium4 processor (not EE) that is Water/Air cooled, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), Water cooling only on graphics card.

Class 8 AMD A64/FX/Opteron/P4 EE
Any AMD A64/FX/Opteron or Pentium4 EE processor at any overclock and any cooling. Any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap) Any cooling on the graphics card.
Class 8 added as a result of this post by MrIcee - here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=315125#post315125)

Prizes,
Provisional prizes for each catagory are as follows.

CLASS 1 - No prize as yet, but a large trophy.
CLASS 2 - Epox 8KRA2+ Mainboard (donated by Holst)
Class 3 - OCZ Gold Dual Channel PC4000 Memory (Donated by Liquid3d)
Class 4 - none as yet
Class 5 - OCZ Gold Dual Channel PC4000 Memory (Donated by Liquid3d)
Class 6 - ECS K7S5A Pro Mainboard (Donated by Ctgilles)
Class 7 - SMC 5-port 10/100Mbps Dual Speed Switch (Donated by Ctgilles)

There may be other prizes avalable, if you do have a prize to donate it will be greatfully received.

We may also run a TEC classes should there be demand for one, if there is a class you beleive we are missing please PM myself or saaya and we will look into adding one.

Misc Rules

Multiple class entries.
We encorge competitors to enter as many classes as they like, all competitors will automatically be listed in the Xtreme class by there highest score.
Personally I will start out on air cooling, then move on to water, then probably peltier (if the card lives that long)
Competitors may only win one prize, should a competitor win multiple classes then they may choose the prize they collect, second place will then collect unclaimed prizes.

Photo Proof's
We ask that competitors provide a photograph of there systems and gaphics cards if possible. This will both serve as evidence of what cooling is used and will be very interesting to see.
If a competitor wishes to keep there cooling method secret untill the contest is closed that is acceptable, although they must still notify us of what class/classes they are competing in.
If you do not have access to a camera and are unable to borrow one then your results will be taken on trust.

Contest Judges.
The Judges for the contest are myself (Holst) and Saaya, although we are competing we are not eligable for any prizes.

Sportsmanlike conduct.
Xtremesystems forums are some of the most friendly and trustworthy around. We expect that this spirit of helpfullness and fair play is carried forward into this contest.
Competitorrs are expected to act in a sportsman like way throughout. (yes even you yanks)

Dispute resolution.
This contest is based upon trust between competitors, im sure that many of us can think of a way to cheat. But we are trusting the integrity of competitors to abide by the rules.
Should you beleive that another competitor has for some reason broken the rules of the competition you MUST contact a judge who will then investigate the complaint.
Competitors should NOT accuse others of cheating or unsportsmanlike behaviour, we do not want this to turn into a flame fest.

EDIT - Typo on class 2 CPU speed.
EDIT (4-1/04) - Added Class 8 for Expensive CPU's with no memory swap.

Holst
12-29-2003, 12:51 PM
PRIZES..

One catagory does not yet have a prize (as I couldnt repair it)
However ill try and sort something out before the competition ends.

If you wish to donate a prize for the competition please contact myself or saaya as soon as possible... any donations will be greatfully received.

Im not 100% sure on the contest closing date as I want to confirm with saaya.
However the provisional date is midnight jan 31st GMT.

Holst
12-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Oh... just remembered I have an epox 8kmm+ mainboard round here that works.. so thats the prize in class 4 :D

Jeff
12-29-2003, 03:08 PM
I take it AMD A64 processors are part of the Unlimited class? :confused:

And for those who can't find them, here are some Xabre drivers...
http://www.adventurevision.com/Xabre/
(thanks to Saaya)

If anyone has anymore they'd like to see listed, send me a PM.

Holst
12-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Yep, A64/FX/Opeteron are part of unlimited

ojdr2001
12-30-2003, 03:33 AM
Just a question: shouldn't class 1 be splitted in two: Intel and AMD classes?

GJ
12-30-2003, 03:42 AM
No prize for class4?That's my class!Ah well...

saaya
12-30-2003, 03:46 AM
hmmm not sure there, but afaik the P4ee and fx chips pretty much show the same performence when oced to their max ,no?

saaya
12-30-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by GJ
No prize for class4?That's my class!Ah well...

:P

Originally posted by Holst
Oh... just remembered I have an epox 8kmm+ mainboard round here that works.. so thats the prize in class 4 :D

ojdr2001
12-30-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by saaya
hmmm not sure there, but afaik the P4ee and fx chips pretty much show the same performence when oced to their max ,no?

That can be correct if you get an ES for the EE but, who has one among the competitors?

The point is.. P4 cannot compete with A64 or FX these days

saaya
12-30-2003, 04:25 AM
are you sure? FUGGER got pretty nice scores with his EE without using the multis afaik

and again: the xabre cards show very very little performence gains from fast cpus! check it out yourself :)

ojdr2001
12-30-2003, 05:21 AM
Ok that was only my point of view. The results will tell us;) ;)

Holst
12-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Class1 is the prixe for the absolute fastest.

the winner will be the guy with the biggest clocks on the card ... not the guy with the biggest CPU.

From the scaling testing we did CPU speed is not a significant factor once you get into A64 terratory.. taking 10 points here and there...

ojdr2001
12-30-2003, 10:47 AM
I don't doubt a minute what you are saying. I will have the possibility to test it myself

But if that is the case, why 3dk01 and not 3dk03?

Holst
12-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Because this isnt a DX9 card... so in 2003 we only get one test (I think..havent tried it myself) ... 2001 is the better choice.. plus we can use madmark and 2001 is still very popular... probably moreso than 2003..

ojdr2001
12-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Sorry you are right. I forgot DX9:mad:

saaya
12-30-2003, 01:25 PM
even with the latest drivers 2k3 and aquamark look like your card is on drugs :D

i got around 500points in 2k3 and almost the same score like with my 8500@300/300 in aquamark...

charlie
12-31-2003, 11:19 PM
and the contest ends...when??

C

saaya
01-01-2004, 06:43 AM
in 5 weeks? i think 4 weeks is enough time to work on the cards, or should we say 6 weeks from next monday?

TheDogFather
01-01-2004, 06:48 AM
6 weeks would be nice, I'm still a noob, need all the time I can get. :D

TDF.

ojdr2001
01-01-2004, 09:23 AM
31st January seems ok for me....

charlie
01-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ojdr2001
31st January seems ok for me....

A bit tight...I don't even have the card yet...

C

Jeff
01-01-2004, 11:58 AM
How about Feb 14th. ;)

charlie
01-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Just so we can get a handle on the rules....in unlimited, is mem chip swap legal? Yes? Ok, what about GPU swap? Componentry? Caps and resistors?? PCB?? For all the PSYCHO's out there we need more rule clarification. Otherwise some psycho will fit a Xabre600 GPU on one of these cards...lol.

bigZ
01-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by charlie
Just so we can get a handle on the rules....in unlimited, is mem chip swap legal? Yes? Ok, what about GPU swap? Componentry? Caps and resistors?? PCB?? For all the PSYCHO's out there we need more rule clarification. Otherwise some psycho will fit a Xabre600 GPU on one of these cards...lol.

LOL, too true :D

GJ
01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
I would be awesome to see someone replace the gpu and memory...

ctgilles
01-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Holst, I just tested the ECS and it's dead :mad:
Replace it by a Mystery Prize, I'll come up with something :D

Oh, I recieved my card 3 days ago, thanks saaya :toast:

Holst
01-02-2004, 10:33 AM

You must use the PCB you have been given.

You may swap the GPU.... but ONLY for another xabre200 one. (Xtreme catagory only)

You may remove, modify or replace the voltage regulation in any catagory.

There may be some mods that I havent thought of... these will be legal unless the judges decide them to be unsporting..

Slickthellama
01-02-2004, 05:32 PM
hey saaya, I recieved my card today. danke sehr :D

charlie
01-02-2004, 11:33 PM
changing out the co-processor?? Hmmmm?

C

Holst
01-03-2004, 05:21 AM
changing out the co-processor?? Hmmmm?

C

I dont see why removing or changing the TV out chip would help.... but you can if you want.

MrIcee
01-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Heres my 2 cents again:)

In the unlimited category, voltage mods, regulator swaps, adding caps etc etc seems like excellent guidelines.

On the otherhand, there are only a couple people here with the knowledge and equipment necessary to be swapping memory chips. I'm glad Holst clarified the GPU swap as IMO Charlie hit the nail on the head 100%...you'd have the few swapping on Xabre 600's.

Heres my bottomline feeling:

The Xabre 200 was chosen to put EVERYTONE on equal ground. That was the equalizing factor amongst us all. Do all the volt mods, driver hacks, cooling etc you want. Your tuned system and volt mod, cooling and driver know how will make the difference in scores.

Allowing any memory swaps immediately takes the equalizing feature away, allowing a a few an advantage that the majority cannot match. Let's face it, all those running A64's will be in class 1 even if they are just aircooled, and not a true "unlimited" system that may be ultra Mhz and phasechange cooled.

That in and of itself should be impetus for maintaining stock GPU and Memory on the card, but everything else goes.

The underlying feature of this competetion between our members was one common denominator, The Xabre 200. Not an Xabre 200 with Winbond BH-5 chips installed, that only a couple people are capable of doing. Even in Class 1...because by default you have some members not really running unlimited systems that are in this class because they purely are running A64's, some on air only.

Maintaining stock GPU and Memory seems to be the only way to maintain fairness because of the xtremes of CPU power (low to high)competing in Class 1.

Randi:D

faruquehabib
01-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by MrIcee

In the unlimited category, voltage mods, regulator swaps, adding caps etc etc seems like excellent guidelines.

On the otherhand, there are only a couple people here with the knowledge and equipment necessary to be swapping memory chips. I'm glad Holst clarified the GPU swap as IMO Charlie hit the nail on the head 100%...you'd have the few swapping on Xabre 600's.

The Xabre 200 was chosen to put EVERYTONE on equal ground. That was the equalizing factor amongst us all. Do all the volt mods, driver hacks, cooling etc you want. Your tuned system and volt mod, cooling and driver know how will make the difference in scores.

Allowing any memory swaps immediately takes the equalizing feature away, allowing a a few an advantage that the majority cannot match. Let's face it, all those running A64's will be in class 1 even if they are just aircooled, and not a true "unlimited" system that may be ultra Mhz and phasechange cooled.

That in and of itself should be impetus for maintaining stock GPU and Memory on the card, but everything else goes.

The underlying feature of this competetion between our members was one common denominator, The Xabre 200. Not an Xabre 200 with Winbond BH-5 chips installed, that only a couple people are capable of doing. Even in Class 1...because by default you have some members not really running unlimited systems that are in this class because they purely are running A64's, some on air only.

Maintaining stock GPU and Memory seems to be the only way to maintain fairness because of the xtremes of CPU power (low to high)competing in Class 1.

very good point :toast:

Holst
01-03-2004, 04:46 PM

I have allowed memory swaps in the extreme catagory as the idea of Xtreme is to push people into doing new things... memory swap being the most Xtreme of these.

If I can find some suitagle memory myself I will be attempting this... and I will post a guide on how to do it.

However I do agree that this is somewhat unfair on A64 people who are not running extreme anything else (amazing how things move in a month.. when I wrote these rules very few peeps had A64/FZ) I may add another catagory to give these people a chance... let me confir with saaya and get a little more sober :P

charlie
01-04-2004, 01:04 AM
I happen to know RIGHT NOW where to get a spare parts board with 2.8nS Sammy that will "drop in". Better be careful with the rules...someone will exploit every last mm of the allowed mods!

C

Holst
01-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Your points made here make sense.

I have now added in an adtional class (Class8) for extreme CPUs (A64/FX/Opteron/P4EE) where memory swap is illegal...

Ive done it this way as I didnt want to ban memory swap... Although preventing guys with A64 from competing unless they did a memory swap was unfair... so they get there own section.

Holst
01-04-2004, 06:42 AM
I havent included cooling classes for the xtreme CPU guys... as I expect most of them to be running pelt or phase change anyway... if there is demand for an aircoooled class let me know and ill look at the numbers.

charlie
01-04-2004, 01:10 PM
In that case, you may as well allow GPU changes (if it can be done) in class 1. It'll be fun to see what kind of Frankensteins these guys can create! Just make the rule that ALL COMPONENTS MUST BE MOUNTED ON THE ORIGINAL ECS PCB. MODIFICATIONS TO PCB ARE ALLOWED, BUT ORIGINAL, FACTORY PCB MUST BE AT LEAST 80% INTACT.

(Meaning you can't dremel out the center of the PCB for the 200 leaving 1cm around the edges, and mount a 600 card in the middle, lol

C

C

ctgilles
01-04-2004, 02:21 PM
If anyone gets a 9800 XT on it, I'm buying beers for everyone :p:

CCW
01-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I wouldve thought the memory bus on the pcb would restrict the performance of better memory chips anyway, same for the GPU

charlie
01-04-2004, 05:27 PM
CCW,
Actually from my preliminary research, a Xabre400 chiipset should drop-in and function at 250/250 with the X400 4.0nS memory.

C

Nico
01-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Holst,

Weren't you originally going to give the non-Barton AMD CPU's a 100mhz extra allowance? I think Bartons will still have the advantage as saturation seems to be up around 2.6g for a tbred.

luihed
01-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Edit:wrong thread

Nico
01-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Nico
Holst,

Weren't you originally going to give the non-Barton AMD CPU's a 100mhz extra allowance? I think Bartons will still have the advantage as saturation seems to be up around 2.6g for a tbred.

Ok, I retract the above statement. It doesn't seem to make any difference for me if I increase to 2.4 or 2.78. If the Barton have an advantage then mhz isn't going to help.

2300 - 8524
2400 - 8512
2780 - 8548

Holst
01-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Tryng to quantify any advantage a barton may have is impossible...

I felt it was better to just go on clock speed, and as you have noticed.. there isnt much CPU scaling effect with these cards..

ctgilles
01-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Saaya, concerning my money ;) YGPM :D

Vlad Draculea
01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
FUGGER
Xtreme Owner

barfing
I removed the crap you posted.

ATI Radeon 9800XT

2k3 9915

2k1 30440 DX9

AquaMark3 68781

05-15-2004 11:31 PM

saaya
01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
i thougt we would start last monday, but some people still havent got their cards and atm it looks everybody just starts tweaking as soon as he gets the card, so the competition is opened already... i guess :D

Holst
01-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I was going to say a month from everybody getting there cards for the closing date... does that seem OK ?

I think that will make it Febuary 14th .. say midday GMT...

Vlad Draculea
01-09-2004, 07:42 PM
FUGGER
Xtreme Owner

barfing

ATI Radeon 9800XT

2k3 9915

2k1 30440 DX9

AquaMark3 68781

skate2snow
01-21-2004, 06:57 AM
im not in the competition but i whant to suggest to divise the cat by some limited temps. Like: you cant go under 0C in some cat and not under 50C in some and unlimited in other. Coze some will go there w/ some cooler of -150C against a CPU@ 30C i think its not really fair.

Vlad Draculea
01-21-2004, 07:30 AM
FUGGER
Xtreme Owner

barfing

ATI Radeon 9800XT

2k3 9915

2k1 30440 DX9

AquaMark3 68781

ojdr2001
02-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Just a question about the P4 2,8 Ghz:

Running my 2,8 at default (FSB 200) it shows in 3dmark 2,81 ghz.

Can I compete in class "under 2,8 ghz"?

or do I have to underclock my system?

Thx

MrIcee
02-14-2004, 01:05 PM
If it's a stock 2.8 P4C I should think it will be just fine my friend:)

ojdr2001
02-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Thx Randi but I missed the closing hour for the competition. I thought it was midnight:(

Congrats, believe you are the extreme winner:toast: :toast:

charlie
02-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I'd expect Holst to wrap the whole thing up later today.
Looks like Mr. Icee taking a few divisions...
But thumbs up to Nico, for posting a 99xx to threaten Mr. Icee

C

MrIcee
02-14-2004, 04:39 PM
:)

Actually Charlie, Nico took me with that score in the Socket A under 2300Mhz class:) You still can't beat an Abit board for great 3D bandwidth.

charlie
02-14-2004, 05:20 PM
so looks like it's
Class #1 Mr Icee
Class #2 Nico
Class #3 Mr Icee
Class #4 Nico
Class #5 Luihed?
Class #6 ?
Class #7 ?
Class #8 Mr Icee

Nico
02-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks guy's :) , only wish I could have got a bit closer. I tried chucking everything at it, including 1 gig of ram (that has shown an improvement in the past) but ended up hosing the OS. Tried the 3.07.55 drivers but never quite got my setup back.
Still so much to learn like driver tweaks etc, but I learnt a whole heap so I really enjoyed the challenge.

Congrat's to Randi for break 10k, as that was no easy feat:toast:

luihed
02-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I just updated my final score, I hope I didnt past teh deadline on publishing it, bench was done a few days ago so I should be OK right?........... Just curious where everyone is, we have 50 cards but I see less than 15 scores........ w00t looks like I win in class 5 cos im the only one that entered lol........

charlie
02-14-2004, 07:30 PM
I'd just really like to know how you guys tuned up the drivers and such. I had the highest clocked card here, BY FAR and was 900 points behind. I pegged the Powerstrip scale at 372 core, the highest the proggie would allow and then checked the settings in the SiS utility and confirmed it WAS running at 372. The fastest was at about 360 though. I believe it was my CPU, a P4/533 that was hurting me. Like no mem b/w compared to P4/800. When I get my Prescott 3.0 on Tues, I'll rin it again, just for s & g.

C

charlie
02-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by luihed
I just updated my final score, I hope I didnt past teh deadline on publishing it, bench was done a few days ago so I should be OK right?........... Just curious where everyone is, we have 50 cards but I see less than 15 scores........ w00t looks like I win in class 5 cos im the only one that entered lol........

Luihed,
Yes. Congrats man. I WAS going to put a score in class 5 but on air, that Xabre only got me like 8500 and I knew it was behind yours :D

C

TheDogFather
02-14-2004, 07:42 PM
What did happen to all the other contestants ?

TDF.

luihed
02-14-2004, 07:46 PM
I would like to say thanks charlie but Im not sure if I won yet, there are so many entries that havent posted thier scores yet....... :D

I was using the xabre overclocking utility and I found that if you mess with the AA setting ( even though its turned off) it really lowers your score....... did you set it to 2x and then disable it by any chance?

Bond_
02-16-2004, 04:50 PM
when will be post the competition results, of all classes?!

[XC]thewildblue
02-17-2004, 05:14 AM
I think I qualify for class 2 as Im watercooled on my CPU, but not the card....does this make a difference.....it all seems a bit hazy ATM.....well done to everyone, this has been great fun.

Bond_
02-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by thewildblue
I think I qualify for class 2 as Im watercooled on my CPU, but not the card....does this make a difference.....it all seems a bit hazy ATM.....well done to everyone, this has been great fun.

yep, you are in class 2 since you don't have the card watercooled!

benonmsn
02-17-2004, 01:51 PM
my card broke.. remember those old all copper coolers from thermatake? volcano 7+? yeah i mounted that on my xabre and moved my computer.. then it wasnt set up sturdy and tipped over and BLAM! broke the card =) so i only got liek a week out of i, no sizeable score to report

Nico
02-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by thewildblue

As far as I was concern the cooling factor in classes applies to the video card. I say this because a CPU at 2.3 ghz is the same whether its air cooled, water cooled, phase cooled or dry ice cooled. ;)

Bond_
02-18-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by TheDogFather
What did happen to all the other contestants ?

TDF.

Yeah, were are they?!
saaya, holst here are the final results?

fr33ze
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
I've not entered this competition but i'd really like to enter the next when (if there is gonna be another one) because it seems like a hell of a lot of fun and a good place to learn some good tweaks.

anyway can somebody give me a link to the results cuz i'e had a quick look around and can't find them. oh and well done to everyone who entered.

kommando
03-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Whens the next comp?

What vid card will it be?

TheDogFather
03-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Were still waiting for the results from the first, so the next one could be like 33 years away. :p

TDF.

kommando
03-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Meh can't wait, gotta save up for other stuff first :)

datachild
05-05-2004, 04:26 AM
cool.. i could be in the aircoolign petium 4 session :D

saaya
07-13-2004, 01:52 AM
ok, you all basically knew this already, but i want to post here to lose some of my bad conscience :(

when holst and me started the ocing competition everything was running fine, but soon started to become a mess. holst and me were both busy and greatly underestimated all the work this project needed. :\

im really sorry, it looks like there wont be any prizes. i have a couple of 35W and 55W tecs, so if any of the winners wants one feel free to pm me and i will send them out to you. im a student and very short on money, and thats pretty much all i can give out as a prize wich would really make sence, i have some other hardware, but its very old stuff and i highly doubt any of you would use it.

if you ant i can still search this thread and all the other threads and make a list of the winners in each category :)

again, im really sorry about what happened :( i learned a lot about organizing such an event though, and if your still interested let me know and i will make a second competition. i think it will be without any prizes though to not make it complicated.

again, im sorry, and i hope you all enjoyed the competition anyways, and maybe some of you still have the cards and smile everytime when you look at them remembering the competition, like me :D
was a great time with you guys! :D

saaya

Karnivore
07-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Saaya, when you all started that competition I knew you would have your hands full... While I didn't have the opportunity to participate, I did enjoy keeping track from the sidelines. To bad about the prizes, but I think for a first effort it was well done. Look forward to having a chance to participate in the next one, and I :toast: everyone who participated in the first....

wimpie007
07-13-2004, 04:26 AM
Actually, that card just made it into my divX box, which I will use later on as the centre of my home entertainment system...
I chose to buy a seperate TV-tuner card, for better signal quality. For the tv-out, I use the Xabre card, which handles it all very well...
and it still qualifies for some (low-res) gaming ;)

Thanks again for setting up the competition! :toast:
(and saaya, thanks for the email ;))

YoupY
07-13-2004, 11:07 AM
If you ever feel like organizing a new challenge I will compete again :D. Really nice what you and Holst organized. :toast:

Sold my Xabre a week ago btw, knew some gut that really liked the chance to torture it once more.

For me the challenge was allways about the fun, too bad it didn't turn out the way you wanted with the prizes.

STEvil
07-13-2004, 06:16 PM
next comp should be GF256 32mb DDR's ;)

got 3.38v to the core and 4.0v to the mem on mine right now.. no idea how it clocks since I havent had time to play with it :D

EDIT

Prizes are cool and all, but i'd be in this for the fun. :toast: to Saaya and Holst!

Nico
07-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Saaya & Holst,

I appreciate the effort you guys put in, and to be honest it wasn't all about the prizes, more about the competition itself. I posted some results around here somewhere and I think that's what most people wanted to see :).
If another contest was to be organised, I'd do it again. It was heaps of fun trying to get the most out of what was really a disposable card. All the comradry with the mods and the drivers was great too.

Liquid3D
07-14-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm still willing to donate the prize I promised, although I've had some problems with obtaining memory. The kit I had set aside for the contest was a kit of OCZ PC4000 Gold, and it wouldn't run at spec let alone overclock.

I gave that kit to my little cousin who dosen't run his PC past 400MHz.

I was offered a kit of EB3700 three months ago, but I won't even go into that. I get sued every time I speak openly.

:eek:

Bottom line I haven't forgot, and perhaps I can dig up another brand of memory to donate.

ojdr2001
07-14-2004, 10:16 AM
I didn't participate for the prizes. It was pure fun and I have enjoyed it. We all know that you did your best .......

Think on the next one....

:toast: to you

saaya
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
:toast:

big thx you guys! : ))))

will email holst about this :D
i will let you know!

and thx keith, but i wouldnt even know who should get the memory, and for most people (i hope all) it was just for fun it seems. :)

hey if you get sued again ask for rebates at the lawyers office :D

STEvil
07-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I'd ask who is sueing, but that would likely open another can of worms.. ouch :(

Pretty low character to be sueing you from what i've seen, though.. mind PM'ing me who/why so I can justify not buying from them if its a company? :D

chilly1
07-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Watch out for the worms. Never can tell who the fishermen are nor the bait they prefer using.

STEvil
07-14-2004, 11:38 PM
lol :D