PDA

View Full Version : Resistor on 9800Pro GPU?

dpa
12-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey,

When i removed the shim on my 9800pro i managed to damage a little thing that looks like å resistor..

picture.. : http://home.no/torsteinen/Ftp/Div%20bilder/faen...%20007.jpg

its not a good picture, but you can see the damaged part. the card works, but will not overclock so well.

is the part a resistor or do it just connect the "bridges"? can i solder it together again? (the rest of the part is gone.. and its a tiny little silver wire left between the "bridges" left.)

thanks for answers..

dp

felix88
12-30-2003, 01:20 PM
it's either a resistor or a capacitor. you could try solder, but that might make the problem worse.

does it overclock worse now than it did before you knocked the component off?

dpa
12-30-2003, 01:25 PM
it overclocked better before i think. but not very much..

felix88
12-30-2003, 01:31 PM
could it be something simple like the HSF not being seated correctly?

piercedandtatto
01-05-2004, 12:37 AM
i did the same thing on one of my 9700's....it completely killed the card. I put it all back togather and rma'd it

Sovereignty
01-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a Cap and not a resistor. You're lucky it still works though. How the hell did you manage to knock that thing off when you were removing the shim? It's like a full inch away.

dpa
01-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Sovereignty
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a Cap and not a resistor. You're lucky it still works though. How the hell did you manage to knock that thing off when you were removing the shim? It's like a full inch away.

I dont now.. suddenly it just flipped off. the card works, and I have just done the voltmods, so I cant rma it. can i just solder them together with solder tin?

ricjax99
01-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by dpa
I dont now.. suddenly it just flipped off. the card works, and I have just done the voltmods, so I cant rma it. can i just solder them together with solder tin?

I did the vdimm mod on mine and the memory died at 2.81v :confused: (Not the RA chips, the other ones cant bring em to mind) . My solder job was neat, just de-soldered them and RMA'ed. Got a new one with supposedly worse memory chips. Hmm.... wup de doo 391 MHz no vmods, max with the other card was 365 :D