PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with coolants these days?

Mankz_91
06-23-2010, 04:38 AM
I've been out of the loop so to speak for a year or two, and am going to be going back for the summer, but was wondering what's going on with coolants these days?

I used to use Feser One, but has some fairly awful results...:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Mankz_91/DSCF5010.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Mankz_91/DSCF5007.jpg

:down:

Have the dyes gotten any better, or are they still a no go area?

Kvickstick
06-23-2010, 04:48 AM
I would say it depends. For some it works without issues and for some its a complete horror show. Personally i havent experianced any problems with pre-mixed coolants.

malkiewicz
06-23-2010, 04:49 AM
I had the same issue... I think its cause by impurities in the loop.... :shrug:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7558/cimg0826wl4.jpg
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6889/cimg0829lg5.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4162/cimgdfdkx9.jpg

I've never had any issues with the local colored radiator fluids available here... I usually dilute it with distilled water and add my own dies... Works for me and its cheap....

Russ_64
06-23-2010, 05:08 AM
I have used Fesser in the past but they really clouded my tubing and left residue in blocks. Changed to CoolLaboratory a while ago and pretty happy.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cat/Coollaboratory-Coolant_129.html

Joffen12
06-23-2010, 05:14 AM
i been having same problem in my loop res gets stuff floating inside it. I just cleaned every thing and used distilled water with pt-nuke

phelan1777
06-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Distilled water, anti bacterial/fungi and all is good.:shrug:

DarthBeavis
06-23-2010, 05:30 AM
I had the same issue... I think its cause by impurities in the loop.... :shrug:

I've never had any issues with the local colored radiator fluids available here... I usually dilute it with distilled water and add my own dies... Works for me and its cheap....

Someone needs to make song "Jizzed in my block"

malkiewicz
06-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Someone needs to make song "Jizzed in my block"

lol :rofl:

Neutronman
06-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Another reason for washing out new radiators before installing them, I've found all kinds of crap in them in the past.............

Section8
06-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Another reason for washing out new radiators before installing them, I've found all kinds of crap in them in the past.............

Yeah I wash all my new WC components with HOT tap water very thoroughly then clean them again with distilled. I then use only distilled water and a drop of biocide for good measure to fill the completed loop. If you want to add some color it's best to use colored tubing. Primochill has a great assortment of colored tubing.

Johnny87au
06-23-2010, 11:36 PM
man that :banana::banana::banana::banana: looks dirty as, I used feser and after 2 months my tubing was full of gunk, now i use primochill with the utopia nuke, smilar to PT nuke

JoeChuo
06-24-2010, 02:04 AM
After 6mths .. Feser orange. It's bad!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/PissingIntel/Normandy/EKSupremeClog.jpg

Alexandr0s
06-24-2010, 02:20 AM
I've been out of the loop so to speak for a year or two, and am going to be going back for the summer, but was wondering what's going on with coolants these days?

Have the dyes gotten any better, or are they still a no go area?

Although you've probably already noticed, they're still as bad as before :rofl:.

NaeKuh
06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
*Sigh*

i got flamed for this a long time ago by the feser tards.

Yes i will call you feser tards, because this was during the time everyone but me and a few others swore on feser premix.

Well if i had a dollar for everyone who ignored me, id have enough funds for an SR-2 system now.

All premixes are junk.

There's a reason why i nagged iandh for silver for almost 2 months b4 he came out with kill coils.

Your coolant is designed by the blocks you chose...
So why do you need all that extra additive in premixes when you dont require it from proper block selection?

If you must have color get a DYE. At least the absense of Etyl Glycol, you wont get clumping.... just staining.

Justintoxicated
06-24-2010, 10:09 AM
*Sigh*

i got flamed for this a long time ago by the feser tards.

Yes i will call you feser tards, because this was during the time everyone but me and a few others swore on feser premix.

Well if i had a dollar for everyone who ignored me, id have enough funds for an SR-2 system now.

All premixes are junk.

There's a reason why i nagged iandh for silver for almost 2 months b4 he came out with kill coils.

Your coolant is designed by the blocks you chose...
So why do you need all that extra additive in premixes when you dont require it from proper block selection?

If you must have color get a DYE. At least the absense of Etyl Glycol, you wont get clumping.... just staining.

I have been using pentosin at about 10/1 for about 5 years and never had a problem other than when I let a PC sit for a couple months and some kinda bacteria started to grow. I have been meaning to buy some PT nuke to prevent that in the future (or a silver kill coil) but I have yet to have a problem since in either of my systems. The trick is to run an all copper / brass / delrin loop although fittings are often plated with something else such as nickel or chrome. Often my blocks would become tarnished on the outside, but the inside seems to stay nice and clean.

hennyo
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
If anyone here knows, I have been user Fesser coolant for about a month and half now, currently there isn't any build up at all anywhere in my system, but I got it because of the ethyl glycol in the mix because fluid is cooled to about 10c, and if I used water there would be icing issues. I was under the impression, don't ask why, that the issue with the fluid separating like it does has to do with heat, and that running it cold like I do, I would avoid the issues detailed by other posters above me. If anyone knows otherwise, or knows of a better coolant to be using that is both freeze resistant and non corrosive, it would be really great.

relttem
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
If anyone here knows, I have been user Fesser coolant for about a month and half now, currently there isn't any build up at all anywhere in my system, but I got it because of the ethyl glycol in the mix because fluid is cooled to about 10c, and if I used water there would be icing issues. I was under the impression, don't ask why, that the issue with the fluid separating like it does has to do with heat, and that running it cold like I do, I would avoid the issues detailed by other posters above me. If anyone knows otherwise, or knows of a better coolant to be using that is both freeze resistant and non corrosive, it would be really great.

why freezing issues at 10C?...system pressure?..just wondering

thanks

mk-ultra
06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
i though the same thing, water don't freeze @ 10c

with enough flow, our city water(where i works) goes down to 1-2oC in winter time and never freeze....just have to keep it circulating or we'll end up below freezing point :D

Justintoxicated
06-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Pentosin or other antifreezes.

Conumdrum
06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Toyota or Volkswagon anti freeze if memory serves me right. Red is one, the other is blue?

Polizei
06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Toyota or Volkswagon anti freeze if memory serves me right. Red is one, the other is blue?

G11 and G12 are VW/Audi antifreezes, if memory serves.

hennyo
06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
why freezing issues at 10C?...system pressure?..just wondering

thanks

That is actually not too hard to answer, the controller on the chiller is really bad, and the thing often brings temps down next to freezing in between starts and stops of the compressor turning on. Also, the chiller came with very specific warnings, that if you brought the water below a certain threshold to water circulation speed, that freezing could be an issue, of which I am both below the temperature and circulation threshold, so I don't want to take any risks.

For those who mentioned the special antifreeze s, thanks I will have to look into that.

Grinder
06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Any hydrix horror stories out there? I've heard people suggest that nuke or silver coil + distilled water is better than hydrix + distilled, but I haven't ever had a problem. But now you have me wondering :confused: Anyone had a problem?

SiGfever
06-24-2010, 03:00 PM
This is by far the best heat transfer fluid that I have used. No staining on my Masterkleer tubing or MicroRes. I also use a piece of silver wire in my res for biologicals.. YMMV

http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-74.pdf

relttem
06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
You guys all need to bug Skinnee..he did a comparison of all the coolants out there, but he think he ran into to some data acquisition problems. Last I heard he was going to do it again.. Hopefully, he can find some time. It seems his testing stuff is taking off..

We need to send him some new stuff for a total evaluation..

Rumpus01
06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I ran feser one UV blue in my loop for an entire year without any maintenance and had no stains, build ups or problems of any kind. Not saying you should use coolants. I'm using distilled next time I change probably, but I personally just think you have to find out for yourself. It seems some people's loops can handle it and some can't. I used feser one UV orange one time as well, and I had build up in the CPU block after a few months... so i'm not sure what the deal is. Best to steer away but again just saying.