PDA

View Full Version : A simple DDC cooling mod

jetroho
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I've been water cooling my pc's since the 1.4ghz t'birds . I switched from homemade ghetto stuff to real water shortly after I found the DDC pumps .
Something that has always bothered me is the heat that either the 10 or 18 watt pumps make . Yo , put an 18 watt heat source into a 60 x 60 x 19 mm box , it's going to get HoT .
About a year ago I decided to make a new pump housing out of aluminum with fins and vents to cool the the damn things . So as I'm measuring the original housing ......... eureeka .. Idiot , why don't you just cut some vents in the original base ? So heres what I did .
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=1181

The slots are 1/8 x 5/8 inch . Make sure you put the slots below the ledge that the main pump body sits on . The upper slot's in the above picture .

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=1182

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=1183

To test what this mod did . I set up a loop with a rx 120 rad , ddc 3.1 modded to 3.2 ( 18W ) and about 8 feet of 1/4 x 3/8 hose . No fan/s . I let the loop run for 24 hrs at room temp of 24c/75f average ( central ac ) . I used an ir temp gun to take the temps .
Stock unmodded base housing :
Room temp 24c / 75f
Top tank of rad 30.5c / 87f
Bottom of pump 33.8c / 93f
Took the loop down . Modded the housing . Same deal 24 hrs at 24c ......
Room temp 24c / 75f
Top tank of rad 25c / 77f
Bottom of pump 26.9c / 80f
I took the loop back down and cut 3 more slots above or below the ones in the picture and 2 short ones along side the wire opening . Redid the 24hr test. It really did not make a mearsurable difference .

Some thoughts :
These tests are definately not gospel . Your results may differ . But It will lower your pumps temps by a large margin . One nice thing about the mod is if there is no air flowing around the pump you can feel hot air comming out of the vents . In my setup there is air flowing and the pump base mearsures between .5 and 1c above ambient .

This mod will void your pumps warranty . Probably won't use the warrany if your pump is not baking in it's own heat .

Will the mod make your pump louder ? I have no clue , I can't hear a ddc unless I put a pair on like head phones . Several years of nitromethane and 500 ci , sprint cars ....whatever hurt my hearing a bit .

For safetys sake when draining or filling your loop and leak testing tape over the holes . To keep the wasser ous . If your pump leaks the slots will let the water out to keep the electrics from taking a pond bath .

I milled the slots in the housing . You could use a dremmel or a drill and a file to make the slots . I showed this to a friend and he just drilled 1/4 inch holes where I put the slots , claims it works great . Who knows what method is best ...... just put some holes in that sucka and let it fly......

Happy Modding

j

NaeKuh
06-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Guys if there is a market for these guys, i can really ask bei to make them again.

It wasnt too difficult, and rev.2 is better because u can remove the top without taking off the sink unlike my rev.1

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Pumps/IMG_0126.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Pumps/IMG_0127.jpg

its funny how i got laughed at when i first started a group order on it, and now im getting asked where i got these guys from

Its kinda dangerous to leave your casing open on a DDC like that.
If a barb is lose, water can travel down your tubing and then enter the pump, and you will have a dead pump in no time.

Waterlogged
06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I've wanted to do this for a long time myself but, have never gotten the time nor gumption. . .but I did suggest it to Eddy a few days ago. :yepp: Glad to see the idea is worth following through on. :up:

The designs all look nice, especially the last one (most versatile and closest to current tops) . . .but. . .I need to release my Grumpy Gus and say that I believe the first 3 designs will not improve flow rate due to either a 90° on either the inlet or outlet, which is 1 of the biggest reasons for getting a top. I'll have to be honest, I'm not even sure I'm interrupting the first 2 designs properly.

A new bottom with small venting slots would be more welcomed I think.

The mounting options are nice but the slots are not quite what I had in mind Eddy. It's my fault because I wasn't really very specific. What I had in mind was something like (2) 3.5mm wide x 30mm long or (3) 2mm wide x 30mm long slots on the sides (except the wire side which would likely lose at least 1 slot). I don't really know what good slots on the bottom would do in the horizontal mounting position just above the vibration dampening kit with no real way to vent.

Full topic

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253901

bomberboysk
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Looks good...im gonna do this right now since my loop is already apart pending return of my 790i from evga.

Edit: This is how mine turned out with 2-3 minutes on the dremel:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk241/bomberboysk/DSCN3196.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk241/bomberboysk/DSCN3197.jpg

Pump does need a bit of a cleaning up though.

LogAn'sRun
06-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Guys if there is a market for these guys, i can really ask bei to make them again.

It wasnt too difficult, and rev.2 is better because u can remove the top without taking off the sink unlike my rev.1

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Pumps/IMG_0126.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Pumps/IMG_0127.jpg

its funny how i got laughed at when i first started a group order on it, and now im getting asked where i got these guys from

If a barb is lose, water can travel down your tubing and then enter the pump, and you will have a dead pump in no time.

I'm interested, should I send you a PM? What's the temp difference BTW?

Crazy V
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
I would take 6 of them. Is there anything between the sink and the pump to transfer the heat? Does it need anything like a Thermal Pads?

bomberboysk
06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I would be interested in one of those heatsinks for the ddc as well.

cx-ray
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I'll take 4x of those V2 aluminum heatsinks if I can.

Blueking
06-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Hmm why not fill up all inside with thermal conductive mass that will make it more safe against waterleak ?

Not sure what one that will suit this purpose ->

http://www.en.aet.com.pl/RESINSANDVARNISHES/POLYURETHANERESINS/tabid/772/language/en-US/Default.aspx

someone understands those datasheets ? (in pdf)

Church
06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
IIRC pump in Naekuh's pic was some earlier DDC one .. DDC2? Don't know if heatspreaders exactly like this will fit on DDC3.*

pwolfe
06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I would buy 3 of those heatsinks in a heartbeat! post em available, I'll buy em...

And in the meantime I think I'll try this mod!

Sideroxylon
06-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Nice little mod. I like it. GJ :up:

mk-ultra
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM

dangerous?, you're water cooling a 400$ mobo with a 1k CPU into it plus a 500$ GPU but you're worried about killing a <100$ pump :D

OP
those holes looks really clean, what did you used to cut them?

NaeKuh
06-22-2010, 04:42 PM
IIRC pump in Naekuh's pic was some earlier DDC one .. DDC2? Don't know if heatspreaders exactly like this will fit on DDC3.*

they work on the 3.2 and 3.25 also.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Haruhi/IMG_1353.jpg

As i said the new version bei was gonna make had holes instead of fan holders so you could just unscrew the top off without removing the sink.

In my case i wanted a fan holder to attach a fan, however the thing doesnt get hot anymore.

I would take 6 of them. Is there anything between the sink and the pump to transfer the heat? Does it need anything like a Thermal Pads?

Yeah i had to use thermal tape.
You can ask the few people i gave them out to.
Skinnee has one, DB got a couple on the last buy.
But they do keep your ddc fairly cool, if you have a ddc that gets hot.
If your DDC never gets hot, or stays warm, this isnt for you.

dangerous?, you're water cooling a 400$ mobo with a 1k CPU into it plus a 500$ GPU but you're worried about killing a <100$ pump :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Benchmarks/Capture-5.jpg
:rofl:

Waiting on the 485GTX's Q4.

But lets say on my gpu loop, if 2 of my pumps were to die, id be in big trouble...
If 1 pump on my board loop was to die id think if fry my mosfets/vregs.

But i think thats why nadeshiko uses 5 ddc's total. :rofl:
Redundancy on the cpu and gpu.

LOL.. i'll ask bei to chime in... those sinks were from a time period when bei and i went custom crazy... :P

wesley
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Heat is a big issue here in Asia. Ambients can get to 29-31 under shade. I'm interested. :-)

mk-ultra
06-22-2010, 06:12 PM
[IMG]/IMG]

Waiting on the 485GTX's Q4.

But lets say on my gpu loop, if 2 of my pumps were to die, id be in big trouble...
If 1 pump on my board loop was to die id think if fry my mosfets/vregs.

ehehe i wasn't that far away from the truth about the hardware :D

well of course no flow would be very bad for the entire system, my 980x won't even get to windows with no flow, it bsod on the welcome screen :D

don't ask me how i know that :p:

jetroho
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
@ waterlogged thanks :up:
@bomberboysk , love the whip some holes in that sucka mod , sweet :up::up:
@pwolf thanks :up: @sideroxylon thanks :up:
@mk ultra thanks and I used a 9x49 verticle mill for the slots :up:
As for NaeKuh's safety concern I am truely baffled . :shrug: I have 27 of these modded pumps in the wild . Seven of my own and twenty others in eighteen friend and client builds . I have never had any dripping barbs or water leaks that threaten any pumps or parts . :shakes:
When I originally saw the thread NaeKuh posted on bei's heat sinks I thought very cool . So I glued a bunch of swiftech ramsinks all over a ddc 3.2 and did a simular test with the pump and rad . I did not see any real benefit of trying to cool 18watts of heat through 1.5 to 2mm of plastic . The mod I posted actually lets cool air circulate through the pump body thru convection if nothing else . :p: The bei heatsink definately makes the bottom of the pump look better , for sure . :yepp:
@NaeKuh , It would be really nice if you would start your own thread to sell your sinks as they are way off topic to what I posted . :clap:
Again thanks and Happy Modding :up:
j

Bei Fei
06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
I have some of these avaliable still if any are interested shoot me a PM.

Zeus
06-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Tbh, i think jetroho's mod is much more efficient. The heat can leave the housing through the slots.

Sticking a heatsink to something non heat-conductive like a plastic housing might look good (in fact it does) but will not do much in terms of getting the heat out of the plastic housing -- it is still trapped inside.

I wouldn't be too worried about water entering the pump through the slots, i've never had water on the outside of my DDC pump in over 3 years of usage.

Kibbler
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Sticking a heatsink to something non heat-conductive like a plastic housing might look good (in fact it does) but will not do much in terms of getting the heat out of the plastic housing -- it is still trapped inside.If you touch the bottom of a pump and it feels warm, guess what that is...

Humminn55
06-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Tbh, i think jetroho's mod is much more efficient. The heat can leave the housing through the slots.

Sticking a heatsink to something non heat-conductive like a plastic housing might look good (in fact it does) but will not do much in terms of getting the heat out of the plastic housing -- it is still trapped inside.

I wouldn't be too worried about water entering the pump through the slots, i've never had water on the outside of my DDC pump in over 3 years of usage.

If you touch the bottom of a pump and it feels warm, guess what that is...

Really.

You'd be very surprised, Zeus, the amount of heat that the plastic transfers. That's why I've always mounted my DDC pumps over a fan which blows up and across the pumps' bases. I've got a DDC2 that's been in continuous service for several years that just refuses to die.....but it's been actively fan cooled its whole life.

Alexandr0s
06-23-2010, 02:11 AM

Yup, though plastic is a poor heatconductor. Best would be a copper or alu housing with a small heatsink attached. I wonder what that would do for sound levels though.

Zeus
06-23-2010, 03:08 AM

Really.

You'd be very surprised, Zeus, the amount of heat that the plastic transfers. That's why I've always mounted my DDC pumps over a fan which blows up and across the pumps' bases. I've got a DDC2 that's been in continuous service for several years that just refuses to die.....but it's been actively fan cooled its whole life.

I'm not saying cooling the housing does nothing, i just think it's a better idea to let the heat out through a hole/slot.

I think that is a more efficient way.

I just looked up when i got my DDC2 pump-- jan 07 and it's still going strong. I have no fans pointed at it, just mounted off the floor with two of those rubber Eheim pump mounts.

The housing doesn't feel very warm either. I think i got lucky with it and maybe good old Petra's delrin top is helping to keep it alive. :)

Crazy V
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Maybe try both ways together instead of trying to figure out witch one works better. Both should do a great job keeping the pumps running cool.

NaeKuh
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
i'll ask skinnee to chime in...

As i said he has played with it, and he even says they work.

But as i said it only applies if you have a tempermental DDC.

Its a mix lot when it comes down to them from what i see.
Some get super hot, others just run cool...

And i think only 1 person on this forum who is still active has a DDC-2 older then mine...

He would be Waterlogged... the other would probably be Scott, aka nikhsub1.
Other then those two, i think my DDC-2's hold the record for how long they been in service. :)

jetroho
06-26-2010, 06:49 AM
As far as leaks go , for leak testing and or filling just tape over the holes . Funny thing though when I did the original mod I forgot the oring between the top and pump body . The water ran out as fast as I was filling it . Took the pump apart dryed it out . Put in the oring in ..doh . That pump has been running for around 9 months no issues . IMHO if you do proper water cooling , clamps on barbed fittings or comp fittings and leak testing , the probability of a leak is pretty much a non issue . I do respect the caution though . :up:
@NaeKuh
My 2 ddc2's are still as good as new . And I put slots in them as well .:D
j

nikhsub1
06-26-2010, 09:00 AM
the other would probably be Scott, aka nikhsub1.
Other then those two, i think my DDC-2's hold the record for how long they been in service. :)
In August, mine will have been running 365/24/7 for 4 years... Dunno if having 2 in series may help lifespan for some reason, but I think the rated life is 5 years or so... I guess we'll see how long they go as I have no intention of changing them...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113601

SiGfever
06-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I have been running two DDC-2 pumps as shown for years with the fans from my 120.2 rad blowing onto them using a Mountain Mod's 3.5 drive bay bracket set. Old picture, now just 4" black UV resistant tie wraps instead of worm gear clamps.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6316/img1143largelarge.jpg

JoeBar
06-26-2010, 01:09 PM

In August, mine will have been running 365/24/7 for 4 years... Dunno if having 2 in series may help lifespan for some reason, but I think the rated life is 5 years or so... I guess we'll see how long they go as I have no intention of changing them...

U forgot one of the oldest dogs here... :D

My DDC-2 started its life on April 2006. 4+ years and still going strong. And what's with these unreliable DDC-2s... :lol2:

jetroho
06-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Guess mine are youngsters ... oct 06 probably average 20 hours a week or so since new .
Always run , no drips , no errors :D
j

JoeChuo
06-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Great Mods! I will just drill a few small holes will do .. Thanks!
DDC 3.25 is hotter that the old one, hope this mods will help a bit. Naekuh heatsink must have for WC for sure ... how about a water block for the DDC? Haha!

Kibbler
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Neato.

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=1058

Church
07-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Kibbler: just noticed too & wanted to post here. You were first :)

mk-ultra
07-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Neato.

nice!
but 35 bucks is not nice

Church
07-08-2010, 09:03 AM
mk-ultra: well, but it seems to be better then NaeKuh's one, as this is not just aluminium rad to bolt on plastic case, but replacing most of the pump case with metal one (with some air ventilation holes in it aswell). I love looks of it, but i wonder if mounting screw holes are in same position as in stock plastic pump casing for 3rd party mount brackets (eg. UN-design's ones) to still be usuable ..

jetroho
07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Kibbler ,
Thanks a million for finding that KL pump base . Full of holes and has a heatsink that is not a complete tit . Suuuweeeet
Saves me a s'load of time . I was going make my own out of alum .
j

NaeKuh
07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
lol yeah im thinking of trying out those koolance sinks also.

Dude i should of checked there website more.

:)

quattro_
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
nice find Kibbler, do you guys think itll work on any ddc top ?

TJ TRICHEESE
07-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Im not sure if those Koolance HS's will fit in the dual xspc bay res but if they do im definatly getting two

avddreamr
07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow that's awesome, i'm going to order one very soon.
You have to wonder, what took them so long with that!
It's only a matter of time before someone attaches a block to the base... Maybe 4 45s... to make the turn.

Blueking
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone knows where heat actually comes from ? PCB or that 'engine' part that generates magnetic flux to rotate pump head ? No point with cooling pcb when heat comes from 'engine' and metal house can disturb magnetic flux ?

MrBean
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
No point with cooling pcb when heat comes from 'engine' and metal house can disturb magnetic flux ?

Had a good chuckle at this one. So, what about all those clowns (like myself) mounting it to an aluminium case? :)

Church
07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
MrBean: it will cool pump just fine. But how about isolating vibrations to not go furthier to case structure? - So those that use things like petras gel stuff, shoggy sandwitch and alikes imho can apreciate such better cooling when attaching pump to material that is heat isolator aswell ..

Alexandr0s
07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Had a good chuckle at this one. So, what about all those clowns (like myself) mounting it to an aluminium case? :)

+1 and everything I hear about fried DDC's comes from an overheated or a burnt pcb.

MrBean
07-10-2010, 01:51 AM
@ Churchy: I have ordered 3 of thse from Bei, and have no issue with using them :) Or with isolating the pump from your case, et al.....just the statement above made my day after a very heavy week at work...rofl...

avddreamr
07-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Ultimate pump isolation......
Use tubing to hang it from the bottom of a reservoir if possible.
In my case it's sucking water out from a EK res, and is being cooled by a 120mm fan thats on the bottom of my case (atcs 840).

Noise problems gone... and this is with a ddc 3.2 at 18W. Go fig.

nachux73
01-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Ultimate pump isolation......
Use tubing to hang it from the bottom of a reservoir if possible.
In my case it's sucking water out from a EK res, and is being cooled by a 120mm fan thats on the bottom of my case (atcs 840).

Noise problems gone... and this is with a ddc 3.2 at 18W. Go fig.

Using 60x60mm fans fits perfect with mounting holes of any cover.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/nachux73/DSCN3378.jpg

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/nachux73/DSCN3384.jpg

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/nachux73/DSCN3389.jpg

Alexandr0s
01-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Dear god it's a tripod!

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/images/war_worlds_spielberg_43_x.jpg

Nice mod nachux, never seen it implemented like this before :eek:!

zalbard
01-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Neato.

Does this work with MCP35X?
And does it actually run hot enough to warrant the purchase?

Tetrafluorometh
01-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Using 60x60mm fans fits perfect with mounting holes of any cover.

Dam dude, does that even seal up enough to stop it leaking? I like the idea lot of the nakedness! Just longer screws

bmaverick
01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Are we talking pumps here or did I just see a DDC pump turn itself into a Lunar Lander .... ? ? ?

Now I got the itch to mod one of my MCP350 pumps into a Lunar Lander.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2598946482_750660d92b.jpg

Waterlogged
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Does this work with MCP35X?
And does it actually run hot enough to warrant the purchase?

:yepp:
:shrug:

Martinm210
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Are we talking pumps here or did I just see a DDC pump turn itself into a Lunar Lander .... ? ? ?

+1. I like it!!:D

nachux73
02-01-2011, 05:18 AM

Sooner is coming a version 4WD!!:D

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/nachux73/DSCN3386.jpg

nachux73
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Dam dude, does that even seal up enough to stop it leaking? I like the idea lot of the nakedness! Just longer screws

There is no leak. I already tested with MCP350/355 24hrs running with many combination, XSPC, PHOBYA, Alpahcool covers. It must be use M4 long screws between 45 to 60 mm depending on the thick of the fan ( 25mm to 10mm ) and also the depth of the female on the cover. The plastic frame of the DDC pump has 4 small legs that must be in touch with the fan frame. There is a small difference on the length of this legs and the length of the bottom rotor/impeller house but it’s negligible. I test the system with a fan of 1200 rpm and the temperature inside, between the pcb and the coils was only 2º more than ambient temperature.

Tetrafluorometh
02-01-2011, 01:48 PM
There is no leak. I already tested with MCP350/355 24hrs running with many combination, XSPC, PHOBYA, Alpahcool covers. It must be use M4 long screws between 45 to 60 mm depending on the thick of the fan ( 25mm to 10mm ) and also the depth of the female on the cover. The plastic frame of the DDC pump has 4 small legs that must be in touch with the fan frame. There is a small difference on the length of this legs and the length of the bottom rotor/impeller house but it’s negligible. I test the system with a fan of 1200 rpm and the temperature inside, between the pcb and the coils was only 2º more than ambient temperature.

Thank you for the info, i think im going to have to try it. Looks very very cool

matari
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
All we need now to “keep it ridiculous” is a water block for our DDC pump. :p:

phantomferrari
02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
jetroho, what tool did you use to cut those nice neat little slots?

nachux73
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
jetroho, what tool did you use to cut those nice neat little slots?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6475/ex-rad-124/XSPC_Radiator_Mounting_Bracket_Set_-_M4_Thread.html