PDA

View Full Version : ?s on wc setup for a64

Jrocket
12-29-2003, 02:03 AM
I am thinking about getting a water cooling setup when I build my new a64 rig. I was wondering which waterblocks had come out with blocks compatible with the a64s? Also I was wondering which pump I shoud get, I was thinking via aqua 1330 because of its great price. I would think it would be ok considering there is no northbridge to cool with the a64, however if something would be better please tell me. Also I kind of clueless in the radiator area, I would like it to fit in my case however I could mod if the performance is a big difference. Also what is the best wb for the gpu? I will be getting the 9800 pro, xt, or I could wait for the r420 (I know you probably couldnt tell me the best for the r420)?
sorry for all the questions, I know a little about water cooling but am still new to it.
Thanks

Karnivore
12-29-2003, 02:30 AM
Swiftech and DangerDen both have A64 blocks. Swiftech uses the 5000 series blocks with an adapter plate, and DangerDen Sells the RBX with a plexi top designed to mount the A64, both blocks are good performers, and compareable cost.

Do yourself a favor and get a good pump to start, Eheim 1250 would do well. Its quite tempting to spend less and get an inexpensive pump, but when you consider whats riding on that pump not failing, is it worth it? I've not owned a Via pump but I have read enough to know they can be less than reliable. I can tell you the Eheim is a great pump. And will be around to cool a few years worth of upgrades.

As for radiators, Least expensive thing to do is get an automotive heater core, excellent performance and least expensive. A bit of searching through this section of the board will yield specific cores. If you would rather not mess with possible mods to make a vehicle core work, and want something ready to go, I would suggest Dteks PROCORE (http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=226) reasonable cost and heater core performance! Dtek also offers a slightly smaller version if room is tight.

As for Vid card cooling my choices would be Maze4 GPU if your NOT going to pelt cool, and the MCW50T for Pelt/TEC cooling, THIS (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=297591#post297591) thread discusses most of the pros/cons of the two blocks. And your correct, not a clue on any future Video Cards..

Good luck with the System and feel free to ask questions.

Jrocket
12-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Thank you very much for the comprehensive explanation and suggestion! I was wondering however, how big of a difference is there between an automotive radiator and a d-tek radiator? Also what about truck radiators (because they are bigger)? How much better are they compared to both? I can always make a prommy type undercase for the radiator.

Jeff
12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm using a Swiftech MCW5000-64 and it's worked great so far. Swiftech also has a newer block that's supposed to be a little better, it's the MCW5002-64.

BTW, I'm using my MCW5000-64 with a Procore radiator and a Hydor L30.

sandman
12-29-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm trying to get an A64 top for my Maze 3-1, but I geuss they dropped the Maze 3, eh?

Karnivore
12-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Thank you very much for the comprehensive explanation and suggestion! I was wondering however, how big of a difference is there between an automotive radiator and a d-tek radiator? Also what about truck radiators (because they are bigger)? How much better are they compared to both? I can always make a prommy type undercase for the radiator.

Dtek's Rad is in reality just an auto core modded with barbs Unless your going to TEC cool, the Dtek core, or an auto core will do fine and very close to each other performance. IMO bigger rads then the Dtek sized core are only usefull when your cooling more then 3 blocks, and/or TEC cooling You really don't need anything bigger then Dteks Procore, performance gains would be minimal. A heater core that carries 2 120mm fans would be a good alternative if you have the room, bigger then that is just overkill IMO.

Originally posted by Jeff
I'm using a Swiftech MCW5000-64 and it's worked great so far. Swiftech also has a newer block that's supposed to be a little better, it's the MCW5002-64.

BTW, I'm using my MCW5000-64 with a Procore radiator and a Hydor L30.

Yeah I like the 5002, uses same copper plate, but has a lower waterdeck, and uses real Hose barbs, said to improve temps over the 5000 by a degree or two.

Originally posted by Sandman
I'm trying to get an A64 top for my Maze 3-1, but I geuss they dropped the Maze 3, eh?

Not sure if they've discontinued the Maze3, most likely have, but shouldn't be real difficult to make your own plate from Plexi, or aluminum....