PDA

View Full Version : Frames per second, Refresh rates, Panels.... Oh my!

xsbb
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
So from my understanding, all movies are shot at 24fps. Are they going to make a move to 60fps or higher in the near future? (~5 years)

Also, I'm a pretty new in this scene, but could someone explain to me the whole 120Hz, 240Hz panels with the newer LCDs? Is this technology just marketing BS? I feel that this is too new and I should give it a few years to mature. Anything else over the horizon?

So... production FPS and higher refresh panels.

(We should have a sticky about these topics to get people like me up-to-date)

zanzabar
06-20-2010, 08:18 PM
3d ready will input 120hz (so 120fps), the non 3d 120hz or the 240hz panels will use the extra frames beyond what they can accept as inputs to pull down a 24hz blu ray as 60hz will not display a 24frame film evenly but a 120 or 240 will, or u can use the extra with motion processing to make false frames that transition between the real ones. i personally hate motion processing and if u get something from panasonic they have good 2:3 pull down so blu rays looks fine, so i got a 60hz when i bought this year but if u have a large screen its hard to not get one thats fake 120 or 240hz so if u do go for that i would disable the motion processing.

i would also doubt that newer films will be in 60fps as its a waste of space and would not fit on a blu ray with extra features or with a long film

STEvil
06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
if you're just watching movies it doesnt matter what you buy just about, as long as you're not bothered by interpolation in which case you can disable it most of the time.

Xello
06-21-2010, 07:01 AM
About the 24 fps question, film is shot in this format for a reason and it's what you see when you go to the theater :up:

There's a certain effect when capturing footage at this speed which we have become accustomed to when watching movies, it has to do with motion blur and how our brain processes imagery. If you pause a film during a scene with movement you will see a single frame and it will be blurry, each frame is like that (to varying degrees depending on amount of movement) but when played at a speed of 24fps that blur is going so fast that our brain perceives the film as being smooth, without blur.

If film was shot in 60fps, it would appear even smoother - too smooth in fact, you would lose the effect that is film's trademark. Try watching a documentary perhaps to see faster framerates and compare :up:

xsbb
06-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the replies!