PDA

View Full Version : New to water cooling, first build.

Kairix
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Hello,

Swiftech H20-220 Ultima XT
EK - 5.25 BAY SPIN Reservoir - Acetal (replacing Reservoir that came with kit)
EK - FC 5970 Acetal+Nickel X 2
EK - FC Bridge DUAL Serial
EK - FC Link R5970 X 2
XFX - 5970 Black Edition X 2
Asus Rampage Extreme 2 Mobo
6 Gigs Corsair Dominator 1600MHz (will upgrade to 12 eventually)
1000 Watt Corsair PSU

Another noob to water cooling here so let's start:

The case I'm using is an Antec 1200, so if I move the storage drives around I should be able to fit both cards into the case. I'll be cooling just the CPU and both cards. So if you're a patient person and you're willing to help I'll start listing some of the many questions I have.

Here's Goes:

Should I use the tubing that came with the kit?, or should I purchase after market tubing (heard either tygon or thermochill are the real deal).

Should I use the default size tubing?, or should I use tubing of a larger size?.

How many barbs am I going to need? and which manufacturer tends to have the best quality?.

How should I connect the Radiator to the case?. I've seen the majority of water cooled systems on here have it mounted on top of the case opposed to the manufacturer recommending it be mounted on the back in the instructions. There's a 200mm fan on top of the Antec 1200 so it'll look really out of place.

Any suggestions on how I should run my loop?

I'll probably have many more questions and will post them as I think them up. I really want to make sure I do this right and not screw it up so I appreciate any help and feed back you can provide.

Kairix.

lowfat
06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
There is no way in eff you are going to cool all that w/ a MCR220 radiator. Your computer will melt. You'll need three times that much radiator surface area to maintain manageable temps.

Kairix
06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/MCR320/mcr320-qp-staked.jpg

So would a MCR320 & MCR320 stackable be enough maintain good temps?. If not what would you recommend?.

Helloworld_98
06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
as in 2x MCR320's? (not stacked, it doesn't work)

yes

Kairix
06-18-2010, 11:50 AM
@Helloworld_98: Yes I meant x 2 MCR320's stacked

Thank you very much for the feedback guys keep it coming

Genesis:.
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
nah dont get a stack...two mcr320's would be good.

Kairix
06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I've been doing some research and I don't think I'll be able to mount 2 MCR320's in an Antech 1200. Would it be easier to use 1 loop for both cards with 1 MCR320 and then a separate loop for the CPU?. I would really like to avoid having to buy 2 of them if possible. There's no hot air coming out the back of my case so mounting the MCR320 there shouldn't be a problem. What would be the best size radiator to use for the second loop to the CPU?.

Polizei
06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
The MCR220 would be fine for a CPU, but the GPUs would need the MCR320, at least.

Conumdrum
06-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Karix, with all these questions that are very very basic, I see your really new.

You could use a whole list of links and guides to get you started. Here you go! Start your journey!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Kairix
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you for the link.

I just might get a new case, the antech 1200 is terrible for liquid cooling. :brick:

Conumdrum
06-19-2010, 02:57 AM
It's pretty good if you mount a 120x4 off the back. And a 120x2 in the front. This is where the fun begins. Look up Mountain Mods or Danger Den for nice pre made cases for WC. And umm how fat is your wallet?

strike
06-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I have that case (antec 1200 ) before

with PA. 12.3 thermochill on front
1 MCR 120.2 on top

typhoon 3
made a custom holders for the hard drives to fit them all in the case

Kairix
06-19-2010, 08:19 AM
@Conumdrum: I don't mind spending $500 for a solid case bit I don't think it'll cost that much. I was looking at the ascension from mountain mods and I think it'll do quite nicely, although I'm a little confused as to what the optimum setup (panels) will be as there are so many options. There's that one link from your previous post to that amazing build that girl made (what I'm aiming for). Only instead of 3 loops there will be 2, 1 to the cards the other to the cpu.

@strike: It's always been a pet peeve of mine to have nice clean set up, or close to it as possible. I'm fidgety and can't look at something that looks out of place for too long. Having to mod the case will probably do it for me. Thank you for the suggestion but I believe it's best to say good bye to this case.

strike
06-19-2010, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=@strike: It's always been a pet peeve of mine to have nice clean set up, or close to it as possible. I'm fidgety and can't look at something that looks out of place for too long. Having to mod the case will probably do it for me. Thank you for the suggestion but I believe it's best to say good bye to this case.[/QUOTE]

to be honest change the case
I have an antec 1200 y soon a mountain mod or lian li or black pearl

aberchonbie
06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I've been doing some research and I don't think I'll be able to mount 2 MCR320's in an Antech 1200. Would it be easier to use 1 loop for both cards with 1 MCR320 and then a separate loop for the CPU?. I would really like to avoid having to buy 2 of them if possible. There's no hot air coming out the back of my case so mounting the MCR320 there shouldn't be a problem. What would be the best size radiator to use for the second loop to the CPU?.

if you're willing to put in work, i think you can make it work..

i also got the antec 1200 for good air cooling but now want to switch to watercooling..

i'm still working on my 1200 WC build but am getting some good progress with it..

i've mounted a mcr220 (120.2) on top just for my cpu.. seen some people mod the heck out of their 1200's and get two 120.3's in the front or even one 120.3 in the front for all internal w/c setup..

here's a pic of my build so far.. (had to drill 3 really small holes on top and sacrificed the ability to screw down the top :cool:) Also lost the extra 120mm fan at top cuz of the barb/clamps got in the way of it..
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/abrahamchon/20846_10100115930605956_2520503_548.jpg

if you look at the pic below, you can see that i have 8 5.25 bays left over after using 1 for the dvd drive and 3 for a hard drive cage (if you want to fit a 120.3, you would have to sacrifice SOMETHING to make it work)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/abrahamchon/IMG_7045.jpg

I really wanted an all internal loop but you can fit whatever you want off the back.. i would be able to fit anything off the back if i wanted cuz of my motherboard..

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/abrahamchon/IMG_7046.jpg

rehpyc
06-20-2010, 10:43 PM
The Thermaltake Armor and SilverStone TJ07 are 2 cases I know of that can house both a 120.3 and a 120.2 inside the case with room for a few different hard drives and a dvd burner. Mountain Mods are a given for this as well.

Kairix
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
@aberchonbie: Wow!, you can definitely fit everything in there now that's for sure. :clap:

I see you cut off the excess from the frontal bays to match the width of the fan, thus freeing up all of the excess space. That looked like it took quite some work and is something I don't think I can do (no tools or know anyone with them).

Going to go with the exact same layout as Shazza's UFO Mountain Mods build. Man that woman can build a sexy looking rig. :yepp:

NaeKuh
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
as in 2x MCR320's? (not stacked, it doesn't work)

yes

mmmm lets argue this again..

1. depends on the way you stack.
2. Yes they do work if you stack properly.

And im more then happy to show you how to make them work properly. :P

And OP... u are majorly lacking in radiator.

Calculate all your TDP values... thats for your GPU x2 and CPU @ oc.

i7 @ 4 ~ 180W -225W give or take...

I have no idea how much 5970's are... but get that value and x 2 it.

Then get the total number you have and divide it by 150.

That final number round up... dont round down.. and that repesents how many 120x1 radiator sizes u need for your system to maintain a delta of 7C from coolant to ambient.

From my rough calculations, you first need a case upgrade.

Alexandr0s
06-21-2010, 11:50 AM
mmmm lets argue this again..

1. depends on the way you stack.
2. Yes they do work if you stack properly.

And im more then happy to show you how to make them work properly. :P

Not sure about the others, but I'd love to hear how :D.

And OP... u are majorly lacking in radiator.

Calculate all your TDP values... thats for your GPU x2 and CPU @ oc.

i7 @ 4 ~ 180W -225W give or take...

I have no idea how much 5970's are... but get that value and x 2 it.

Then get the total number you have and divide it by 150.

That final number round up... dont round down.. and that repesents how many 120x1 radiator sizes u need for your system to maintain a delta of 7C from coolant to ambient.

From my rough calculations, you first need a case upgrade.

Yup, you'll need two 360 rads minimum, and it'll take some modding to fit those into the 1200.

Church
06-21-2010, 12:19 PM
NaeKuh: To stack in proper good way - to add extra rows of fans? If one trusts these results (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=220874) not much to gain anyway, single rad with same ammount of fans still outperforms. Of course it's possible to gain cooling performance at high rpm-s compared to single rad, but isn't it simplier to fit more high-finned rad since beginning, then get one performing like such by stacking two less finned rads?

NaeKuh
06-21-2010, 01:15 PM
NaeKuh: To stack in proper good way - to add extra rows of fans? If one trusts these results (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=220874) not much to gain anyway, single rad with same ammount of fans still outperforms. Of course it's possible to gain cooling performance at high rpm-s compared to single rad, but isn't it simplier to fit more high-finned rad since beginning, then get one performing like such by stacking two less finned rads?

no one has yet to set it up like i did.

MCR320 (shroud) SanAce (shroud) MCR320.

True its not as effective as having 2 MCR320's side by side, but it saves a TON more space.. a whole row of space.

Ive been playing with stacks for a while now.
Show me something better in this config, and i'll migrate to it.

So far nothing has come my way minus a monsta, which would not fit inside my pedistool

Here u see the stack.. its a serial stack... not a paralell stack.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Haruhi/IMG_1388.jpg

The rear rad gets water first, then the front rad gets it second.
This way i recycle the least amount of heat from Rad 1 -> Rad 2.

I have enough static pressure from my san aces, and since they are shrouded both ways, they kick ass.

and the rest of it.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Haruhi/IMG_1386.jpg

And ur wondering about cooling potential.. 2 x HD4870X2's in Xfire dont even dent the complex.
Infact i even give it an offical Naekuh approval for Tri 480GTX. :up:

The key thing is STATIC PRESSURE though the rads.
By shrouding a 38mm fan you achieve the required static to get work done.

then get one performing like such by stacking two less finned rads?

Well skinnee and i was messing around.. so i told him i would stack to XSPC rads later.. ummm i got one.. and pass..
You have no idea how thick that complex will be.
Too thick to even be worthwhile.

MCR320 is the best to stack... BIGTS will be a pain without another row of san aces from the fin density.
You would honestly be suprised how tiny the difference between air out and air in is..

Church
06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Naekuh: Are San Aces still showing enough pressure & flow at silent rpms? Somehow i doubt it. That's why i'm not too interested in stacking of rads as they simply need fans or fan speeds outside acceptable noise range for me. Single GTX with same SanAce fans at high rpms probably won't be too far off from two stacked MCRs, yet taking twice less space.

NaeKuh
06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Naekuh: Are San Aces still showing enough pressure & flow at silent rpms? Somehow i doubt it.

no but if u played with san aces b4, them on shrouds there not as loud as a kaze for example.

And since u got all that wraped around the fan, its not loud.
Its not silent... but its not loud.

If your going after full silent, well.... then id expect the OP to at least double his budget.